• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Another one bites the dust

It is a fact that otters never did disappear completely....in rivers without too much agricultural run off, they were hardly affected at all. It is also true that once the agricultural chemical that brought about their problems was banned, they recovered dramatically and would have naturally recolonised all areas without mans intervention....but for mans insatiable hunger for interfering.

Where the picture is a little more blurred is how many farm reared otters were released, when the last ones were released, and where these stocking took place. Even less clear is what affect, if any, this unnatural rearing had on otter behaviour. When you consider that these artificially reared animals must form the entire population in those areas where there were no natural otter populations, then the picture could be quite worrying if all the rumours are true. It's not hard to imagine that if the stories of bizarre, un-otter like behaviour are true, then those areas will have far denser otter populations than elsewhere. You can get answers from otter supporters to those questions if you care to ask, although such people are much like politicians...but go ahead and believe them if it makes you any happier :D

However, the most devastating factor in all of this is the TOTAL protection that otters, and anything to do with otters, now enjoys. They were NEVER hunted to extinction, that is total poppycock. Like all wild animals in the centuries gone by, their population was maintained at a level whereby their appetites could be supported by the prey population at that time. Once man (for his own safety) had got rid of all the natural otter predators that kept their numbers in tune with natures balance, we had to take over. That sensible countryman's way of natural management has now been done away with....and the results are becoming clear for all to see. If a predator has nothing naturally keeping it numbers down, and we are not allowed to...then it obviously WILL become out of sync with it's prey. Because otters will take anything the swims, walks or crawls, then it will take a very long time before they eat themselves out of prey, allowing nature itself to restore a natural balance. Bu that time, we may all be playing golf, and a lot of smaller, endangered species may exist only in museums....or zoos if they are lucky. Most of these critters were endangered by loss of habitat and pollution, and were barely hanging in there. Dear, cuddly, cute Tarka will put an end to that situation!

As for the question 'When Otters were virtually extinct in the 1970's were fish then thriving as a result of there being so few Otters about?' I think that has already been answered. They only became close to extinction in certain areas....large areas it's true, but they never were 'virtualy extinct'. Possibly the youngest (in larger river terms) barbel populations are those of the Wye (early 60's?)and Severn (mid to late 50's?) but even those splendid river seem to be settling down, with less but bigger fish being caught. Those rivers (the Wye in particular) always had otters, but because the barbel population grew rapidly in such a healthy systems, they were always in balance. The same absolutely cannot be said about many other rivers, where the otters are but the final straw, the very visible killers that are mopping up the last few surviving stragglers of population that have been beset for many years by a variety of ills.

I am 70 now, and have issues that have reduced my angling outings to a fraction of what they once were, so should probably stop moaning about these sad happenings. My great grandchildren and certainly my great great grandchildren will probably get on fine catching carp or more exotic species in covered, floodlit and heated ponds, because they will not have known anything different. Be that as it may, I am still old and sad enough to mourn the passing of decent rock music, so I am well up for a few tears over the passing of 'real' fishing....can't help myself :D:D:D

What are we like :p

Cheers, Dave.

Evening Dave . From whatever aspect you look at this situation, it is , to use your apt phrase , '' mans insatiable hunger for interfering '' that have caused virtually all of the problems you mention in your post . As for the lamented '' sensible countrymans ways of natural management '' I think there is an element of the rose tinted spectacles and misty eyed reverie for the good old days here . The old ways were not always the best ways . As you say ''what are we like ''

Hi Mike, I don't think 'tis the rose tinted glasses making me misty eyed....it's these ruddy underpants I bought on the cheap. Anyway, getting back to the subject of 'The old ways' that I think worked.

The old gamekeepers, and indeed all the people that lived on and from the land...understood it. As a result, they managed such things very well. Because they were close to the land, they had no qualms in doing things that would make us townies cringe....but that is a fault in our way of thinking, not theirs, they have/had things sorted.

Unfortunately, every generation gets more mollycoddled than the last, wrapped in ever thicker layers of cotton wool, more remote from the realities of life. My grandchildren are, like 99% of their generation, complete wusses. They will eat chicken nuggets until they come out of their ears, they absolutely love the things. However, show them a chicken leg with a bone in it and they nearly throw up....they CANNOT face reality. Everything has to be sanitized, disguised as something made in a factory like rice krispies...and any connection to a once live animal utterly eradicated. They have an astonishing ability to close their eyes to things that upset them, to refuse to face up to facts, such as the fact that somewhere along the line, a chicken died to provide them with chicken nuggets.

The problem is that these confused, divorced from reality tree huggers are the very same lot that will one day be running the country...many of them already are! They absolutely cannot face the realities of life, but are going to be making decisions on how the world is run :eek: They are the woolly headed wonders who came up with the draconian 'Total Protection' policy regarding otters. Once again, they have developed tunnel vision...all they can see is the cute, cuddly, vote attracting otters....while the realities of life, the damage they can do, the people they are putting out of business etc, etc....are shoved firmly under the carpet.

In my view, once our rivers are returned to full health, have a strong head of healthy fish which are reproducing naturally.....then the otters are welcome. They are a natural part of English heritage, and most importantly, they will once again be a sustainable pleasure. In the meantime, numbers of otters should be maintained at a level that the rivers in their current state can provide for. Surely, sustainability is the key? It aint rocket science is it? And THAT is precisely what the old 'uns would have quietly got on with. No fuss, no bother...just sensible attitudes producing the best possible results to suit current circumstances.

Gawd help us :D

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Mike, I don't think 'tis the rose tinted glasses making me misty eyed....it's these ruddy underpants I bought on the cheap. Anyway, getting back to the subject of 'The old ways' that I think worked.

The old gamekeepers, and indeed all the people that lived on and from the land...understood it. As a result, they managed such things very well. Because they were close to the land, they had no qualms in doing things that would make us townies cringe....but that is a fault in our way of thinking, not theirs, they have/had things sorted.

Unfortunately, every generation gets more mollycoddled than the last, wrapped in ever thicker layers of cotton wool, more remote from the realities of life. My grandchildren are, like 99% of their generation, complete wusses. They will eat chicken nuggets until they come out of their ears, they absolutely love the things. However, show them a chicken leg with a bone in it and they nearly throw up....they CANNOT face reality. Everything has to be sanitized, disguised as something made in a factory like rice krispies...and any connection to a once live animal utterly eradicated. They have an astonishing ability to close their eyes to things that upset them, to refuse to face up to facts, such as the fact that somewhere along the line, a chicken died to provide them with chicken nuggets.

The problem is that these confused, divorced from reality tree huggers are the very same lot that will one day be running the country...many of them already are! They absolutely cannot face the realities of life, but are going to be making decisions on how the world is run :eek: They are the woolly headed wonders who came up with the draconian 'Total Protection' policy regarding otters. Once again, they have developed tunnel vision...all they can see is the cute, cuddly, vote attracting otters....while the realities of life, the damage they can do, the people they are putting out of business etc, etc....are shoved firmly under the carpet.

In my view, once our rivers are returned to full health, have a strong head of healthy fish which are reproducing naturally.....then the otters are welcome. They are a natural part of English heritage, and most importantly, they will once again be a sustainable pleasure. In the meantime, numbers of otters should be maintained at a level that the rivers in their current state can provide for. Surely, sustainability is the key? It aint rocket science is it? And THAT is precisely what the old 'uns would have quietly got on with. No fuss, no bother...just sensible attitudes producing the best possible results to suit current circumstances.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave, hope your good lady and yourself are keeping well. For the life of me, i cant remember the name of the program, but it was about what chicken nuggets are made of. Believe me, very very few chicken die to produce thousands of the nasty little lumps. They are made from a gloopy pink sludge.

derek thats what known in the trade as MRM or mechanically removed meat, its all the boneskin, meat and other stuff, personally i wouldnt dream of eating it mate

Cheers, Dave.

Sorry to hear about the underpants Dave , buy cheap buy twice :D By and large I agree with the sentiments in your post . These days there are less people who manage the countryside the ' old way ' where they just got on with sorting things out , i.e. culling to maintain a balance . However there are still plenty out there with the opportunity to employ natural law should they choose , the difference is if they get caught they are in it deep , unlike the old days .... I am a countryman born and bred from farming stock, however I don't agree with some of the old ways of managing the countryside particularly hunting with dogs , largely because those with an interest in this sport sell it as an efficient way of controlling pests . This is rubbish , if I wanted to kill a fox I would go out and shoot it with a lamp and a gun that is the most efficient way not poncing around with a pack of hounds and a load of folks on horses .Anyway that's really not the point here . The issue re fish being killed by Otters will not be solved by folks bleating on a bout a cull , this will never be legally sanctioned , the more noise we make about it as anglers the less likely the otter lobby will understand our point , we have to work with them not rub them up the wrong way . If people want to go about it quietly themselves , and many do , then that's up to them . As for the kids of today day there upbringing dictates their attitude to reality .

People who think that eels are the staple food of Otters imo are in cloud cuckoo land. They will eat anything that swims, ducks, coots, swans and great Bustards too. Totally opportunistic in their environment.
And I'd say out of all of the them the Eel offers much gain for very little effort to catch, so I reckon I know which the Otter will prefer.

Back