• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling Trust

Same here; ordinary day out on The nearest (non-tidal) Trent about 70 mile round trip, minimum🙁

Then, I suppose, there's always a day's puddle-chuckin' at Makins (ten-minute drive) Yippeee 🥳

Otherwise, a very-impressive lucid, carefully considered argument based on a logical, common sense approach to our past-time.

I was surprised they heavily featured tackle makers in the video. ( not in the submission report so much)

Gave the appearance that profit comes before mental health.

Only scanned it but. Seems to be well laid out, based of examples rather than the hypothetical and appears pretty clear and concise.
Hopefully it will be read and the the response will be positive. Clubs And their members can go along way to help, by introducing temporary restrictions on maximum anglers etc etc.
My only concern is that if we go back before the rivers open, is that the still waters will be too busy. The lakes always get much busier in the CS anyway and with so many off work that will only be exacerbated.

As long as your activity is longer than the journey I imagine it'll be justifiable.
I'm not sure, however, if some of these village vigilantes (mentioned in the press yesterday) will be so accommodating. :)

Well said Graham its all about money, that's why the close season was done away with on still waters. Peoples lives before angling which it only a pastime. Stay safe stay apart.

I’ve always thought it could quite easily work with angling being an exception to the lock down with a few simple rules adeared to.
The problem is like anything good the minority spoil things for the majority and in this case it would probably be the same.
We all know if angling was lifted you’d still get 20 plonkers grouped together in Collingham weir sharing mugs and the ban would be slapped back on angling within the week.

I think that the A.T have put forward a strong and logical argument regarding why we should all be allowed to get back into action. Hopefully the government will seriously consider the proposals, although as pointed out, the "locality"restriction will undoubtedly mean many of us having to restrict trips to our favoured waters, at least for the time being.
I would like to think that Richards described "Collingham Mob" would be very much the exception to the rule, and that we will all keep to any restrictions introduced. I dont know about you, but I just want to get back out there. I have had enough of this ---- now!
Andy

I'm surprised to see the AT attracting criticism over this - having read the full report twice now I think they have done a very good job.

The report explicitly makes clear that the AT are not asking the Govt to lift restrictions now and report makes no suggestion is made as to when - it is a phased plan suggesting how angling might recommence once Govt Ministers 'acting on medical and scientific advice' deem it appropriate to do so.

As has been pointed out above, it is well written and concise, drawing on helpful examples from abroad etc. The references to positive externalities of angling (exercise, mental health benefits etc) appear to have been thoughtfully considered and highlighted. And it would be remiss of any report of this type not to refer to the meaningful contribution of angling to the economy, ultimately it is a report written for the benefit of hard-nosed Whitehall policymakers for whom these things are important.

In the past I've given the AT plenty of flak when I feel they have got things wrong. In this instance I think they have got it right.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to see the AT attracting criticism over this - having read the full report twice now I think they have done a very good job.

The report explicitly makes clear that the AT are not asking the Govt to lift restrictions now and report makes no suggestion is made as to when - it is a phased plan suggesting how angling might recommence once Govt Ministers 'acting on medical and scientific advice' deem it appropriate to do so.

As has been pointed out above, it is well written and concise, drawing on helpful examples from abroad etc. The references to positive externalities of angling (exercise, mental health benefits etc) appear to have been thoughtfully considered and highlighted. And it would be remiss of any report of this type not to refer to the meaningful contribution of angling to the economy, ultimately it is a report written for the benefit of hard-nosed Whitehall policymakers for whom these things are important.

In the past I've given the AT plenty of flak when I feel they have got things wrong. In this instance I think they have got it right.
It’s not criticism joe more shock

For some reason the AT seems to catch a lot of flack on here, with many saying they were members of the Angling Conservation Association, but cancelled their membership once it became the AT. Well for those who only want to support fish legal, you can now make a donation on the AT website and tick the fish legal box.
I think the proposals were well thought out and well presented. There may well be no vaccine for covid 19, just as there isn’t for the common cold, so planning for a return to “normality” is essential.

I wonder if anything will be resolved before the big day on the 16th? Seven weeks away. Lets hope that Mr Gove and his friends consider the proposals as being worthy of serious consideration, without his cabinet colleagues reckoning that it will be the thin end of the wedge of our release from our enforced and understandable period of confinement. Will they reckon on other sports wanting to regain their freedoms if we achieve ours being a move too far at present? I certainly hope not.

Back