• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling Trust scandal !!!

Gerry Giles

Senior Member & Supporter
Probably been spent on salmon fishing

Shocking.
And NB also highlights how ineffective the AT has been in gaining member.

Yes Jaz. Is it still sponsored by the Countrys biggest polluter?

you get the feeling this could be really bad for the angling trust, as much as I want to support them and have to join because of tickets for matches until there's some clarity on what's gone on it makes you want to cancel your membership

I’m going to suspend judgement until more information/facts become available on the unaccounted sponsorship money.

On the other points, perhaps the AT have lined up another sponsor who is prepared to invest more than Drennan International?

One fact I’m pretty sure of though is that in any sport, it is NOT the role of any sponsor to try and dictate who gets selected. That’s the role of the team managers is it not?

I left just before Christmas. I sent them a highly critical email re. their published overview of barbel decline studies. They rang me soon after, and I talked to them (nice guy) for 30mins. I reckon by the end of the phone call he was in partial agreement with where I was coming from. I really didn't like leaving, but I didn't want to be associated with an organisation that issues tosh as they have.
Very, very sad news.

Our club recently voted us out of the AT due to their utter incompetence on the Swale grey seal debacle last year
very telling that only one member in a full room wanted to stay in, and he's an AT bailiff.

This should have gone to the police before it went on the radio with the AT given no right to reply

This isn’t a good look for anyone involved, especially if the claims aired on a national radio station are based on an anonymous letter. It could end up costing someone a lot of money and do a lot of damage to reputations

There is an important principle of British justice known as the presumption of innocence, e.g. innocent until proven guilty?

Other than one anonymous and illiterate letter...what evidence or suggestion is there that there has been any impropriety at the AT?

They have made public all of the Team England accounts for the past 5 years, what else can they do?

Drennan were presumably satisfied with the response given by the AT otherwise they would not have continued to sponsor them in 2018? Or indeed enter into negotiations for sponsorship in 2019.

The AT terminated the contract with Drennan, not the other way round. The reasons which, based on the AT’s statement, seem clear and acceptable. Can you imagine the sponsors of the England football team trying to dictate to Gareth Southgate about whom he should pick?!

Don't be silly Smarty.

If you actually listen to the radio piece that I responded too you would hear that that was the figure quoted as unaccounted for.

It was also stated that Drennan had not received an answer when querying the "black hole"

It also stated that "some" were suprised that the top two English anglers were not selected. It didn't say Drennan said that.

Last edited:
Back