• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling crossroads.

Best wishes for the op Simon. Iā€™m a double knee replacement and it was a ruddy uncomfortable experience on both occasions but well worth the ag! Totally agree with Paul, donā€™t take it easy with the recovery and take notice of your physio. My first replacement was on 3rd November some years ago and because my grandson was getting a new bike for Christmas I worked hard at the physio and was cycling with him just after Christmas. With my second knee I didnā€™t have that motivation and was lazy with the physiotherapy, result now is I do not have the bend that I have in the older knee. I am able to fish the Trent at Fiskerton at night but use crampons and a dog spike to aid me so donā€™t write off future river fishing just yet. Weā€™ve never met but my thoughts will be with you on the 28th šŸ‘

Simon,

I hope the op is a success and the recovery process not too arduous. Seventeen years ago at the age of 29 my wife and I were involved in a serious RTC in France. I broke my back and my femur, and crushed my tibial plateaux (the big bit of the tibia that forms part of your knee basically). I have two metal screws through the knee and a long metal rod through my femur (attached top and bottom!) I feel pain from some or all of that lot every day, and Iā€™m pretty sure that a new knee and/or hip will be required at some point. Until that day Iā€™m soldiering on and doing my best to fish in ways that my body may not allow me to do some day.

All to say, I have some sympathy mate. Thankfully thereā€™s such variety in this wonderful pastime that even at the very worst one can sit on a manicured platform on a commercialā€¦ but not quite yet, eh?

Best wishes,

Al

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, means a lot.

Unfortunately this isn't my first ride on the bus so to speak. It's the culmination of a few too many knee operations but hopefully the end to constant pain and better knee stability. Less pain killers in the long run too.

A local anaesthetic for the first time rather than a general. Not looking forward to being awake and just lying there for the duration, I'd rather be asleep if I'm honest. But better recovery.

The op has come a little early TBH. I'm planning on retiring early 2025, and had hoped to have my knee done later next year. That way I wouldn't have gone back to work. But beggars can't be choosers. I'll be glad when it's done.

Been through it with my knees. Being stubborn and loving rivers I struggled on, Naproxen, injections, rope, slide down crawl back up. The Naproxen gave me kidney failure after 10 years so I stopped it, surprising how much difference it had been making anyway, just before Christmas last year my GP apologised as he shouldnā€™t have left it and I had a first TKR in August. An infection kept me going back to hospital every day for a month but I got over that and a great physio means I now have a far better knee with no pain and better movement. It was a toss up at the time which one to do first and the other one is now getting replaced in January, after just six months, hoping to be back on the bank in February. Just the one made such a difference the second will hopefully, put me back 20 years, Iā€™ll have two feet that point in the same direction again, canā€™t believe how well it went itā€™ll make a huge difference for you. For me, the physio bending etc and now working on strength in the gym at the NHS strength class ready for the other one was the most important to do for recovery.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone, means a lot.

Unfortunately this isn't my first ride on the bus so to speak. It's the culmination of a few too many knee operations but hopefully the end to constant pain and better knee stability. Less pain killers in the long run too.

A local anaesthetic for the first time rather than a general. Not looking forward to being awake and just lying there for the duration, I'd rather be asleep if I'm honest. But better recovery.

The op has come a little early TBH. I'm planning on retiring early 2025, and had hoped to have my knee done later next year. That way I wouldn't have gone back to work. But beggars can't be choosers. I'll be glad when it's done.
Donā€™t worry about the local anaesthetic Simon, both mine were done that way, they gave me a sedative before administering the spinal block and I was away with the fairies. Some say Iā€™m still with them šŸ¤£šŸ‘ I had the op in the morning and they had me out of bed afternoon of the same day to start physio šŸ˜±

I do a lot of carping and I echo what others have said, look for a club ticket that has a few stillwaters rather than head to an expensive and busy day ticket. I love my carping but itā€™s very easy to get stuck waiting and not really doing anything, so if I was you I certainly wouldnā€™t disregard the other species most lakes have to offer either, early morning tench on a float, a big crucian or Rudd, and so on can be magical. There is always plenty more to do than just sit behind buzzersā€¦. And you will probably catch more carp too.

Whatever you do, I wish you well, health is always no. 1! It might make the odd barbel trip in warmer months more special too.

Back