• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

angletec dynamic lead system

Ye gods
Have a think! It’s called a bolt rig cos when a fish feels the ***** of the hook it gets its arse in gear and moves off rapid thus hooking itself against the inertia of the weight. How much difference in hooking potential does the 10mm rotation of the lead around its centre of gravity allow???? A tenth of a second! Fish do not think/react that quick.

In that case, why the need for any lead, particularly heavier leads? Why on a bolt rig is the lead fixed/semi fixed if it's not an absolutely vital part of the rig mechanics? Pricking doesn't necessarily occur at all until the lead comes into play (watch pretty much any of the underwater carp fishing videos to see that is the case). Might as well have whatever weight you are using come into play as soon as possible. However, if you don't think that makes any sense, don't bother using such things, no one is asking you to, let alone forcing you. As to anyone else thinking about it, I rather think they are. Just because you don't agree doesn't make them wrong.

Just to stress the point again, I don't believe for one moment that there's any point in using such guff for barbel. The combination of the way barbel feed and flowing water makes it pointless.

anyway let them carp boys sort it out, think this will cause us more problems than what its worth as well as leads ????? vested interests as mentioned above

Can anyone remember back in the late 80s when 'centre of gravity' leads referred to ball leads?? Also, I think mahseer weights back in the 90s first developed the now called 'cog' but mahseer had a wire loop from the tail to hold the line not a plug and hole arrangement like the Korda model.

Hi men,

In the 80's or 90's carp fishing ,I was using a distance lead with a wire hoop hammered into the center of it, with the hooklength having a 4 inch silicon tube pushed over the swivel then pulled back tucked into the loop. It pulled out under pressure , but put the balance point in the middle . After watching fish in clear water I could not warrant the hassle of it , so reverted back to clips , and not really though of using it for barbel .

I did use a drop off lead system in the summer when stalking carp near a line of trees , I caught two upper 30lb carp , and the fish came strait to the top under pressure , and had they made the edge of the trees there was one less thing to get caught .

Hatter

Its not designed for Barbel fishing is it ? more for long casting (tangle resistant) and centre of gravity thing which in theory is a big plus when fishing hang up rigs in stillwaters for fish which tend to up end when feeding i.e. Carp and Tench (Yes i know Barbel do it as well but not to the same degree !) Now if the first point actually works and would deliver a braided hooklink 70 yds out in a gravel pit untangled then i may well have a look.

The main downside as i see it is that if you are fishing on anything other than hard gravel then there is a chance it could end up sitting on its back giving you the worst presentation possible !

Oh, and why do people insist on making leads with that horrible speckled finish ? they stick out like a sore thumb on virtually any bottom.

Last edited:
Its not designed for Barbel fishing is it ? more for long casting (tangle resistant) and centre of gravity thing which in theory is a big plus when fishing hang up rigs in stillwaters for fish which tend to up end when feeding i.e. Carp and Tench (Yes i know Barbel do it as well but not to the same degree !) Now if the first point actually works and would deliver a braided hooklink 70 yds out in a gravel pit untangled then i may well have a look.

The main downside as i see it is that if you are fishing on anything other than hard gravel then there is a chance it could end up sitting on its back giving you the worst presentation possible !

Oh, and why do people insist on making leads with that horrible speckled finish ? they stick out like a sore thumb on virtually any bottom.

Simon,
they've worked for me at ranges beyond 70 yards. I can understand the fear of it sitting wrong way up though. From experiments of throwing them about in the margins, it doesn't appear to be a big issue. As yet I've not retrieved a tangled hooklink with them, even giving it a big heave ho. I'm not having issues with them standing out on a lake that's got a bottom of gravel and sand with patches of light coloured silt. However, I'd say the same about the Avid leads and Solar line clips that I also use.

Back