• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Aldi bargains

Thanks Steve,
off to get some today. Bought the bib & brace and top coat last time they were on offer, lasted reasonably well. I know you are supposed to get what you pay for and these are cheap, but I have managed to ruin expensive gear just as quickly. It's usually broken zips, clogged Velcro and barbed wire tears, so my thinking nowadays is buy cheap replace often.

Thanks. Good advice Steve.

There were 20 people queued up at the shop by all accounts this morning for the Gear.

The boots gloves and trousers are great value and reasonable quality, especially the boots.

The jacket is ok but I reckon the zips won't last too well.
Also if you are small get the medium and medium buy the large etc. Jacket fairly short but the trousers go half way up to your chest so work together well.

Agree with graham buy one size up for £42.00 for suit great as a back up got the bib and brace last time still going strong all zips etc working

Don't buy the bite alarms, they don't like rain and when they do work sound like a strangled cat. Apart from that they are cheap at £7.

Deffo buy the next size up. I just grabbed a pair of the trousers and the jacket, both in medium. I thought they would be way too big for me as i'm barely 5' 7" and built like a twig but the trousers fit great! Jacket too although i resemble the Stay Puft Marshmallow man in it.

Been in this morning and picked up a bib and brace, glad I went for the one size up option instead of the medium that I would have normally bought, the large is a perfect fit for me and I'm 5'9" and 34" waist. Also grabbed a couple of pairs of the 2.3tog socks that were on offer at £1.99/pair.

Thanks Steve, I bought some gloves and a pair of neoprene wellies, warm feet yesterday even though I was stood in Icey water yesterday

Just back from a day on the Dane, gave the new trousers and socks a test and despite the weather I was having to unzip and remove layers, they certainly are warm!

Aldi

Unfortnately for me most had gone in my local store - but the neoprene gloves
are still a bargain at a fiver

Hi All, I bought the trousers (i.e. the ones with a bib) and jacket. I'm about 40/42" chest but I had to swap the jacket to a 'large' later in the day as it was too snug to wear with layers underneath.
I'd be very interested to get any feedback on this gear's performance in the wet. Nice to have a bit of confidence in your gear before venturing out without a brolly (never end up putting it up even when I DO decide to take one with me:))

Just tested, typical Scotchgard, water will bead right off untouched, but as soon as you rub your finger over the trousers, the water will start to wet out the fabric, so walking in them while wet with the material rubbing together, or sitting/kneeling, will cause the water to soak through.

So no, not waterproof, but then i wasn't expecting them to be.

I will try giving mine a go over with my wax block at some point, especially around the bum and knee area to see if that helps, but a light set of waterproof overs will still be carried in my bag.

Bought these trousers from Aldi in the past, they do leak on pressure points, namely the bum, zips are naff as is the waste band, I hitch mine up with braces, so it's like a poor man's sallopetes
But I like 'em.:)

I bought the jogging bottoms. I liked em so much i bought another pair....

Hi Neil, these ones this time have the shoulder straps ready fitted, they seem great for £16.99

Specs say waterproof to 3000mm, so unless they have a waterproof lining in there, they are not as the surface is only Scotchgard.

I got the specs here:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/men's-padded-fishing-trousers/p/068811007564200

Ha yes , back to square one... I had a look at Aldi in Tewkesbury Monday, all gone, was Ill Sunday... bought a few pairs of the trousers couple of years back, on offer for a couple of quid each, so not desperate, but just a little scruffy.

I bought the jogging bottoms. I liked em so much i bought another pair....

I have asked my mrs to get me a pair tomorrow if there are any left as i only have 1 pair of combats for fishing which i wear under my salopettes. These look more comfortable and warmer for winter.

Dave

I have asked my mrs to get me a pair tomorrow if there are any left as i only have 1 pair of combats for fishing which i wear under my salopettes. These look more comfortable and warmer for winter.

Dave

That was my reasoning. Im a 34 to 35 waist the xl fits v well for me.

Back