• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice on rod selling.

You didn't elaborate, when asked, how you came to be 'bitten', Richard - losing a lot of money on an irreplaceable rod - so it's impossible to engage with why you were: 'once bitten twice shy n all that
Sorry I didn’t see you ask the question
I posted a daiwa rod that arrived with a huge dent in the tube and 2 out of 3 sections were broken. It certainly didn’t go on the van like that and I believe the buyer when he tells me he certainly didn’t do it on arrival.

I made plenty of communication with the courier company when it was actually possible but there was no cover for that rod and I ended up receiving it back for a refund

I would be interested to know if anyone had made a successful claim for a rod damaged in transit . I spent a considerable amount of time trawling through the small print of a number of couriers , all that I looked at[ at the time ] specifically excluded damage cover for fishing rods , others wouldn't cover items made from specific materials , as I recall one of these materials was carbon fibre . All I would say is read ALL the small print before purchasing the service or additional cover , buyer beware . All this said , I still sent many many rods to all corners of the globe , packed in a strong tube , with one exception they all arrived safely . In the pandemic I sent a rod to a chap in Italy , at the time certain Italian cities had exclusion zones around them and wouldn't allow parcels through ,as a result the rod over several months went back and forth several times from the distribution centre to the destination until the exclusion zone restriction was lifted , eventually . after several months it got through unscathed , this was with UPS . In my earlier post I advised not to use YODEL , I state this as I once saw a Yodel employee 'sorting' the goods in the back of his van , I presume he was looking for a specific parcel , his technique involved throwing lots of parcels out of the van on to the pavement , once he found his parcel , he threw them all back in again !

Last edited:
This is the reason i won’t post any more. collection only or meet within reason. more then 1 occasion I’ve had damaged rods too much hassle for the buyer and the seller

I've been quite lucky so far. Nearly all my rod purchases over the last 20 years have been online, mostly because I buy custom builds or second hand.

The only rod I've bought was a damaged beachcaster when I went to pick it from go outdoors, it was a shop purchase thet they had to order in. I could see the packaging was damaged in the shop so I asked the employee to open it in front of me, the tip was snapped, they got me replacement!

A bit late to the party, but I have just this morning sent a rod via Parcelforce. Up to 150cm it costs just under a tenner (up to £100 compo), over 150cm your looking at £35 +. I use them as they come to pick up and bring the label. I did use TNT before, but I think they may have gone. Never had a problem with either.

A bit late to the party, but I have just this morning sent a rod via Parcelforce. Up to 150cm it costs just under a tenner (up to £100 compo), over 150cm your looking at £35 +. I use them as they come to pick up and bring the label. I did use TNT before, but I think they may have gone. Never had a problem with either.
That's great. I thought it was about 12 at po but that's even better

I have used Royal Mail Special Delivery for 4-piece rods (by design rather than due to mishaps!) and UPS without any problems but it is expensive and I would always send in a heavy cardboard tube as you get in rolls of carpets.

However, I apreciate that losing a rod due to breakages will persuade many sellers to revert to collection only.

Back