• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Advice on a medium feeder, winklepicker, light Avon type rod. Rivers.

This will be of no use to Neil, but some anglers have made light Avon type rods, 'Gudgeon Rods' out of old cane fly rods. You can pick them up at auction or car boot sales for a tenner and handles, guides and reel seats can easily be obtained. I converted one last year and it has made a really nice rod for small rivres and lakes.
P1020114.JPG

P1020116.JPG

20210703_130051_resize_79.jpg

20210703_132125_resize_12.jpg

Sounds just the job, will search around for one, you got some very generous benefactors.:)
I read this and remembered that a friend of mine showed me one that he wanted to sell but neither of us had any Idea what it might be worth. I did some research but the tackle dealers have distorted the market since the first lockdown and we took it no further.
The rod is TEAM NORMARK MEDIUM FAST FEEDER MCM FF 13803
Tip had been painted and was flaking off, now removed.
Ceramic insert in second from top ring missing.
Hole in cork of butt repair falling out. ( I was surprised to find that the cork on the handle seems to be just a thin sheet and not made up of the usual cork rings.
Pm me and we can discus this further.

this is the rod richard was talking about neil they do come up on ebay usually for around the £100 mark keep looking they are worth the wait

Attachments

• 04222746-1787-432D-B1EA-1F6F299A6C4F.jpeg
    04222746-1787-432D-B1EA-1F6F299A6C4F.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 179
It’s a really nice rod
Not a sensitive quiver type tip so probably no good for those real shy biters but absolutely perfect for chub, perch, light tench etc
I’d say lines of 4-6 being right at home with it. I’ve given mine a good clean up, covered the last 6 inch of cork and sight tipped it up. Looks the nuts.
856B5150-58E3-499B-B24D-C5E9E172B7A4.jpeg
31803C27-A1E8-48C3-B8AB-BEAB530E9F66.jpeg

Dave Lumb is suffering at the moment due to the lack of blanks from Harrisons, I believe he is doing repairs to get through this bad period.
Had my last lot (2 weeks ago) delivered in just over a week - brilliant but had to pay the bill a bit earlier than I reckoned.:D

Cheers
Bob

Looking to purchase as above, but not a fan of multiple push in quivers, so a old donkey type set up would be great. Something that would be good for smaller species and up to Chub? I have due to age.... a stack of rods including some old JW's Avons, and the original green blank model I have dug out, and would be the ideal rod on a lighter blank. The quiver section is long and sensitive.
Most of the rods I see are multi tips for commercials mainly.
Cheers.
Neil,
Have you had a look at the Tacklebox Darent Valley and Darent Valley Elite range at all ? Might be something that meets your needs without breaking the bank!

Thanks for all the input. I am waiting on a Korum 1.1 t.c feeder rod, it seems just the right sort of thing for the smaller river's and small feeder bombs. I talked of the Wilson original I intended to christen last week, I pulled into the Avon car park, and soon after a fully equipped c/w barbel beard pulled in in his Tranny and promptly disgorged a whole tackle shop load of gear in front of me.. I bottled fearing ridicule with my JW good to go, so I grabbed the Torrix and we talked of Big barbel past and future , I couldn't admit to targeting poncy silvers.
I ended up on the Weir, I can't remember ever fishing, had the place to myself apart from a woman in a rubber dingy with two Springers on board, love Springers, and miss my late Jack who passed two years ago.
Anyway, bit late in the year to expect Barbel in the weir, so cast to some slack far bank, with maggot feeder and it was Perch a Chuck, with the occasional Roach, great fun.
Back to the car park the bearded one was barbeless, and resorted to maggots too on a size 16 hook apparently, its a tough gig trying to adjust but I have to start enjoying my sessions again, as long as I am catching I'm happy.
I had a chance to buy an old Bob Church feeder rod local Facebook, 11ft built in quiver ,but declined as just ordered Korum, had anyone come across this rod?

It’s a really nice rod
Not a sensitive quiver type tip so probably no good for those real shy biters but absolutely perfect for chub, perch, light tench etc
I’d say lines of 4-6 being right at home with it. I’ve given mine a good clean up, covered the last 6 inch of cork and sight tipped it up. Looks the nuts. View attachment 17067View attachment 17068
Looks the business Richard, bit like the Bob Church guess it about 1.25 t.c or less, full cork, if you ever....😕

Thanks for all the input. I am waiting on a Korum 1.1 t.c feeder rod, it seems just the right sort of thing for the smaller river's and small feeder bombs. I talked of the Wilson original I intended to christen last week, I pulled into the Avon car park, and soon after a fully equipped c/w barbel beard pulled in in his Tranny and promptly disgorged a whole tackle shop load of gear in front of me.. I bottled fearing ridicule with my JW good to go, so I grabbed the Torrix and we talked of Big barbel past and future , I couldn't admit to targeting poncy silvers.
I ended up on the Weir, I can't remember ever fishing, had the place to myself apart from a woman in a rubber dingy with two Springers on board, love Springers, and miss my late Jack who passed two years ago.
Anyway, bit late in the year to expect Barbel in the weir, so cast to some slack far bank, with maggot feeder and it was Perch a Chuck, with the occasional Roach, great fun.
Back to the car park the bearded one was barbeless, and resorted to maggots too on a size 16 hook apparently, its a tough gig trying to adjust but I have to start enjoying my sessions again, as long as I am catching I'm happy.
I had a chance to buy an old Bob Church feeder rod local Facebook, 11ft built in quiver ,but declined as just ordered Korum, had anyone come across this rod?
Is it the new Korum all around quiver rod, Neil? It is on my list, but not sure if I need a dedicate quiver rod. How is it different from an Avon rod with quiver tip? Different action I assume?

Also, I actually prefer the Avon top now, I think it can filter out the small bites, and maybe this is why all the chub I caught since I switched to Avon top are 4lb+?

Last edited:
Is it the new Korum all around quiver rod, Neil? It is on my list, but not sure if I need a dedicate quiver rod. How is it different from an Avon rod with quiver tip? Different action I assume?

Also, I actually prefer the Avon top now, I think it can filter out the small bites, and maybe this is why all the chub I caught since I switched to Avon top are 4lb+?
Yep that's the one, just had it delivered today, very impressed great finish, and Korum reel seat of course, the push in tips are 1 2 and 3oz and fit tight to carrier. The 3 ounce carbon quiver is excellent. Compared with my Avons it is similar action but of course the advantage is bite detection. I wasn't a fan of push in quivers, but these blend in well to the blank..They will fly off the shelves, go on you know it makes sense😀

I think with the onset of winter bite detection is paramount, perhsps an Avon top is fine in most circumstances but not so much using perhaps a swan shot link leger? My top target is Roach I have caught shedloads of Chub when targeting Barbel, and an what what can possibly beat a big Roach eh?

Yep that's the one, just had it delivered today, very impressed great finish, and Korum reel seat of course, the push in tips are 1 2 and 3oz and fit tight to carrier. The 3 ounce carbon quiver is excellent. Compared with my Avons it is similar action but of course the advantage is bite detection. I wasn't a fan of push in quivers, but these blend in well to the blank..They will fly off the shelves, go on you know it makes sense😀
Thanks, Neil. The rod looks beautiful. I think I will get one after I received my 5.5 ft advanta rod. I am rebuilding my arsenal after damaged most of my rods when house moving.

I think with the onset of winter bite detection is paramount, perhsps an Avon top is fine in most circumstances but not so much using perhaps a swan shot link leger? My top target is Roach I have caught shedloads of Chub when targeting Barbel, and an what what can possibly beat a big Roach eh?
I have a 1.25lb daiwa powermesh Avon rod with three quiver tips, not label on them, I think they are 1, 1.5 and 2oz? never used it but may give it a go when light bite detection is needed.

Speaking of roach, I am waiting for dr Redfin feeder roach rod.

I have a 1.25lb daiwa powermesh Avon rod with three quiver tips, not label on them, I think they are 1, 1.5 and 2oz? never used it but may give it a go when light bite detection is needed.

Speaking of roach, I am waiting for dr Redfin feeder roach rod.
I have the Daiwa too, but the dont like the screw in quivers, actually the rod is virtually mint condition, but not the coveted model, not sure of the difference in the models.
I have met Mark Everard Bristol Avon, he was able to access all areas because of his influence with EA etc, he certainly took advantage.
Will check out the rod you have ordered, damn it😯
The BA was certainly a great big Roach river back then, and 30 years plus since, I caught my biggest roach at 2.75, it was the smallest in the shoal.
I am mindful this is the Barbel forum, aplogies all, but....😊

I have the Daiwa too, but the dont like the screw in quivers, actually the rod is virtually mint condition, but not the coveted model, not sure of the difference in the models.
I have met Mark Everard Bristol Avon, he was able to access all areas because of his influence with EA etc, he certainly took advantage.
Will check out the rod you have ordered, damn it😯
The BA was certainly a great big Roach river back then, and 30 years plus since, I caught my biggest roach at 2.75, it was the smallest in the shoal.
I am mindful this is the Barbel forum, aplogies all, but....😊
Seeing as you mentioned the B Avon roach again; my rod of choice in those days was a Shakespeare Superteam Quattro 12ft feeder rod.

A long very soft rod with 4 push in tips. A lovely roach rod as it was very forgiving. But it struggled a bit when a decent chub came along !

Back