• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Adams Mill

Fred Bonney

No Longer a Member
Just read my old stomping ground of Adams Mill, is back on the £34 a year MKAA book.

Makes you wonder what they did with all that extra income they had??

Certainly didn't spend it on otter fencing!!

To be fair Ian,it just about paid the rent.
Apparently "there are still barbel nudging 16lb, as well as chub to 8lb ,big roach,perch & pike"
All good enough for me!
Still no night fishing

Hi men ,

Fred , better check with someone who has walked it , as not far below has been " improved " by the EA , by removing all cover , trees etc for better flood defences . Not sure if its better for the fish , spawning , fry survival rates though . March also see otter activity on the stretch with a 12lb ish fish . Still barbel there .

Hatter

about time, might be worth the ticket, but the otters have taken their toll.

I wouldn't want to fish there on the 16th Declan, i'll wait until I can fish into dark later in the season.

Anyway as everybody knows the fish have all been eaten so you shouldn't worry. My commission should be good ;)

Last edited:
I have fished Adams Mill 3 or 4 times in the past couple of weeks just roaming about with a rod getting a feel for the place and marveling at the fact it used to hold barbel beyond most anglers comprehension.

I had never seen the place before and didn't know what to expect and I must say its a lovely little stretch of river that I know I will enjoy fishing.

I have yet to bump into another angler on the stretch except for my first trip when I just went for a look and that is remarkable. I have also failed to bump into a fish and I must say that I have only seen a few average size barbel and a couple of decent chub, however, I have been fishing in the afternoons in very hot conditions so really not the best for coaxing a bite.
looking forward to many more visits throughout the season.

Yes I have. Thought often in the past several years, long before the oft-caught Traveller ate it, that British barbel angling might just become a lot more grounded now, with readers of weeklies no longer seeing the same dozen fish, with the bait barons turning their attentions and directing their sponsorship back to boilies-by-the-wheelbarrow-load carp and carpers.......

Adams Mill

I consider myself a fairly successful Barbel angler - I have never blanked on the river Wye over the past 3 years I have been fishing it. Caught plenty of fish from the river Kennet on the Wasing estate and caught some beautiful fish from the Hamshire Avon including the middle parts which can be very tough.

When Adams mill became syndicate water i applied and was accepted I fished it for two years and I never caught a fish in fact I don’t think I ever had a bite.

Give me the River Wye any day!

Dave

Tidal Trent for me, the No1 river in the country with stacks of day ticket stretches (a few EA ones too completely free), night fishing, good access and some monster fish (of all species)......

P.S. -In mitigation I've not tried the Wye, but have the Severn,Bristol Avon and a few others, However the Tidal holds a special place for me....

Yes I have. Thought often in the past several years, long before the oft-caught Traveller ate it, that British barbel angling might just become a lot more grounded now, with readers of weeklies no longer seeing the same dozen fish, with the bait barons turning their attentions and directing their sponsorship back to boilies-by-the-wheelbarrow-load carp and carpers.......

Back from your holidays already, Boot... did they not want you there or did you forget your wooden spoon?

You are making yourself look a fool, and an obsessive one, in full public view, Chris Turnbull. Carry on, if you must.

Yeah, yeah, I was reading what they had to say about you on the dark side. Very funny! Seems I'm not the only one who see's you for what you are. Get over yourself, Boot. Shall I post some clips of it on here or shall I just go fishing?

Back