• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A very sad announcement

likewise great to see you here malc, its hit me for six mate, I didn't even see the new year inproperly through respect and sadness, I couldn,t ring you as I smashed my old phone and most of my numbers went with it, if you wouldn't mind malc my numbersthe same as ever and ould love you to text me yours so we could maybe keep in touch occasionally.

Ray gonna miss ya mate even the moans, I hope that you are wandering the riverbanks still with nobody to bother you or see you but we,ll know your there ....j.w

likewise great to see you here malc, its hit me for six mate, I didn't even see the new year inproperly through respect and sadness, I couldn,t ring you as I smashed my old phone and most of my numbers went with it, if you wouldn't mind malc my numbersthe same as ever and ould love you to text me yours so we could maybe keep in touch occasionally.

Ray gonna miss ya mate even the moans, I hope that you are wandering the riverbanks still with nobody to bother you or see you but we,ll know your there ....j.w

Feel for you John, sounds like it was some friendship, can't replace that, but think of how it would be without those memories? Be positive and treasure those times.:)

yes Neil, memories are better than pictures sometimes, pictures get lost, damaged ect but memories stay in your mind forever, that small group who fished the bibs so much were some of the friendliest anglers i have ever met, malc can you reach silky to let him know please

John (JW)

Great to be in touch again mate, but the reason we are in touch is unconsolable like your good self, the news of Rayo has hit me for six.

Seems this mobile thing is age related (lol) mine didn't like going in the washing machine, therefore lost all of my contacts. I'm sure if you Email the site owner your number Andy will pass it on to me.

Malc

JW, Malc, I was shocked and saddened to hear of Rayo's untimely passing. I havent seen him for a few years now, but will cherish the memories we had fishing the Bibs, and the early days of banter on BFW. Like yourselves I rarely post these days for various reasons but seeing some of the old names popping up again has reminded me of the fun we used to have on here in the early noughties.
Rayo was certainly a character of the old school variety and wasn't shy of speaking out either online or on the bank.
He wasn't everyone's cup of tea (who is) but he most definetly had a heart of gold as demonstrated by the organising of the fish-in's in aid of Ty-hafan in particular.
His stories (moans) of evading speeding tickets on the M4 on his way to the Bibs and complaining about the police used to have me chuckling when I saw that glint in his eye, knowing full well he was winding me up.
Memories of sharing many swims with Rayo and sharing the catching of fish will always remain. One session I remember in particular on a very cold February day, where we sat for several hours and caught a couple of small barbel in near freezing conditions. I still have the photo he took of me somewhere. Not long after that he started fishing the Taff with you Malc as it was clear the wye ran a lot colder than the Taff in winter. We would often swap text messages with Rayo glaoting he had a balmy 9 or 10 degrees while I suffered with 4s and 5s.
The world will be a poorer place without him, but he wont be forgotten.
Rest In Peace old mate.

yes Paul, hope your ok now mate, i moved back down near london about 3 years ago due to health probs, i am still shook up about ray but i suppose i gotta man up and get on with life,john

Malc/John, you can PM each other on here.

It is a shame that something so sad brings us back in touch, but that's life chaps !! People, their circumstances and their lives change, sometimes that leads to good friends/mates sadly drifting apart. My life, for one, is now a world away from what it was back in the days when I was a BFW and fishing regular.
I do know however, that within a few minutes of meeting any one of you lads again, the banter and friendship would return and it would be just like it always has and hopefully always will be !!
Would be great to have a little get together when the weather is slightly more clement !!

NOW YOUR TALKING PAUL M. how about a "rayo fish in" when the weathers more kind and nice for the members, i am absolute useless at trying to do this but it would be nice mate.

Looking at my profile it's 5 years since I've been on BFW, time flies and its a shame it took something like this to bring me back.
Such a shame that a very old friend passed away before Christmas, my house was a very solemn place over the holidays, Ray was an unbelievable mate spent many nights at his house while fishing and working down there and some unbelievable times on the Wye, Taff and other rivers. Luckily I'd been in touch with him over the years so I knew of his health problems and we had other things in common, football, rugby league as well as angling. As all those who knew him he could be a prickly tw*t at the best of times and he loved a good wind up but a better friend you couldn't wish for. My thoughts go out to Linda who I've been in touch with since he went in hospital for the last time. Good to see a few old mates too, JW, Nick C and Malcy who I've not seen in many a year.
RIP my good mate Taffy, Dolly is alone now I'm sure she's shedding a tear thinking of the times you had together.

Rays funeral Details are as follows,
11am, Thursday January 25th,
Swansea Crematorium
36 Heol Pentre Felen,
Morriston,
Swansea SA6 6BY

Thanks Mike

Looking at my profile it's 5 years since I've been on BFW, time flies and its a shame it took something like this to bring me back.
Such a shame that a very old friend passed away before Christmas, my house was a very solemn place over the holidays, Ray was an unbelievable mate spent many nights at his house while fishing and working down there and some unbelievable times on the Wye, Taff and other rivers. Luckily I'd been in touch with him over the years so I knew of his health problems and we had other things in common, football, rugby league as well as angling. As all those who knew him he could be a prickly tw*t at the best of times and he loved a good wind up but a better friend you couldn't wish for. My thoughts go out to Linda who I've been in touch with since he went in hospital for the last time. Good to see a few old mates too, JW, Nick C and Malcy who I've not seen in many a year.
RIP my good mate Taffy, Dolly is alone now I'm sure she's shedding a tear thinking of the times you had together.

Rays funeral Details are as follows,
11am, Thursday January 25th,
Swansea Crematorium
36 Heol Pentre Felen,
Morriston,
Swansea SA6 6BY

The saddest of the days today, for Linda and family, the last 'Goodbye' but supported by old friends, Mike and Sue. Memories to be relived together and cherished for always. RIP Rayo, never met but known and respected by association.

Sad not to he able to make the funeral my thoughts go out to Linda and family. Thanks go out to Mike for attending and passing on our thoughts on our good friend Rayo.

In memorium

IMG-20180125-WA0001.jpg

Lads
Just to say, a cherished friend of mine/ours was peacefully laid to rest today at a beautiful service that was attended by many. The reading brought back many great memories of Ray and reminded me of just what a character he was. The pictures of Ray at the service were like the one on the home page, mostly taken by myself, and that wicked grin on his face tells you he's just beaten my PB.

It was nice to be able to pass on my condolences to Linda and family in person, but unfortunately due to work commitments I could only stay for the service so never got the chance to say hello to anyone else.

Ray
Rest in peace my friend, although knowing Rayo he's already found that perfect Barbel river in the sky and I'm sure I can hear him uttering those immortal words "Clarkie mines bigger than yours" you will be missed mate.

Malc

Back