• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

A good landingnet and handle dont have to cost a fortune.

I use a collapsing spoon net with a deep mesh coupled with a three piece telescopic match handle. I've landed barbel to 16 lb with that combination, no problem. I think some of you guys who keep breaking stuff are just clumsy.

Deeply unfashionable I know but this handle is absolutely brilliant. There is simply nothing to go wrong and it is made of triangular section lightweight metal tubing which is so strong you can stand on it without crushing/bending it. I picked one up at a fishing show three years ago, realised how good it was and despite scouring the internet for years I haven't been able to find them anywhere else since but they are now back in stock at the link below. I now own two :D. The original one is still going strong.

Try one - for £7.99 you can't go wrong and you won't be disappointed...

2xl Extending Landing Net Fishing Handle - Black | eBay

Oh, and for tackle tarts, the label peels off :).

Is it only 2 metres though Will?

It is according to the advert John, which surprises me. Neil in Amersham sells these...or one very similar, certainly it is black, triangular in section and felt extremely rigid and strong when I tested it in the shop. I might be remembering it wrong, but I seem to remember it as longer than that. Probably wrong, a male Freudian thing :D

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited:
Hi John,

I suppose it must be but I hadn't given it any thought. It's worked fine for me for three years and the length has never been an issue. Sometimes in tight swims I'm using it at half length anyway! I honestly wouldn't recommend anything I'd had problems with. Another thing I like about it is that when you have got a fish in the net its really easy to collapse it so you don't have the full length of the handle in the way where you are trying to stand. Maybe that's just a Teme thing - not much foot space in our swims!

Will

Will,
You have probably seen the quick release gizmo’s from Pro-Logic but I have used them for years and they solve the problem of what to do with the landing net handle once the fish is safely in the net. They are also handy for storm poles and a few other applications. I have used them for years and as long as you keep them reasonably clean they have never let me down. I've tried to cut and paste a link to their website but for some reason the puter is not playing ball this morning.

Another thing I like about it is that when you have got a fish in the net its really easy to collapse it so you don't have the full length of the handle in the way where you are trying to stand. Maybe that's just a Teme thing - not much foot space in our swims!

Will

That's why I like the telescopic match ones.

the quick release gizmo’s from Pro-Logic
I did try those, got a packet of three of the large aluminium ones (the Pro-Logic, original ones) on eBay for a bargain but managed to wear them all out very quickly. Must have been catching too many :rolleyes:! I also tried the Korum version but although it's a great design the plastic section felt like it would break with a fish in the net so stopped. Not what it was made for.

Here is what I do. I have a triangular net, alloy spreader, purchased from Bennets of Sheffield, RIP. It came with a very strong 6 foot handle. The handle is not quite long enough to land fish from the fairly high banks I fish from. So I use one of the cheap, very long, telescopic match handles,mentioned earlier in the thread, to land the fish. I have not broken one of these landing a fish. I have however broken them returning a fish. When I land a fish I chuck the rod backwards and pull the net up through bank side vegetation until I can get my hands on the mesh, and then haul upwards. When returning the fish to the same swim I hold the net clear of all bank side vegetation, and lower away, that's when the pole breaks. So now when I have landed the fish I swap poles, returning the fish with the very strong shorter pole. Hope this helps, probably not. Very bored.
Shaun

Back