• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

5000 GTE-C v XTEA v 4000 XTRA v D

Adam Ditchburn

Apart from costs

5000 GTE-C v XTEA v 4000 XTRA v D

I have the 5000 GTE-C and had two and the RE, I want a more flexible and roving approach for this season, so not bothering with two rods at any time, I want to treat myself to one reel and cover the bases with extra spools.

With the above in mind is the 4000D worth it bearing in mind the spools are a silly price.

Can anyone that has tried some or maybe all of the above shimano's, obviously mainly XTEA or smaller XTRA or D can provide advice.

Fishing the Thames, Wye and trying to eek a few more from the Windrush (I know)

Cheers in advance

Presuming that you mean an XTFA (they don't do a 4000 sized XTRA), I believe that the XTFA offers the biggest bang for your buck. For a start, you get two metal spools with proper metal line clips. However, much will depend on whether you like a double handle or not.

I have 5000GTECs, 4000Ds and 2500XTFAs to compare.

Totally Happy with the XTEA's after a very good work out for 2 seasons.

Smoother clutch and baitrunner than the GTE-c's.

Used about 4 times a week on the Wye and also Thames / Severn etc.

With the XTFA you can probably source a single handle through Felindre you can defiantly get them for the XTEA.

Presuming that you mean an XTFA (they don't do a 4000 sized XTRA), I believe that the XTFA offers the biggest bang for your buck. For a start, you get two metal spools with proper metal line clips. However, much will depend on whether you like a double handle or not.

I have 5000GTECs, 4000Ds and 2500XTFAs to compare.

Yes Correction the XTFA.......seems the XTFA or the slightly older XTEA, does the XTEA come with a metal line clip? anyone?

agree Russ, they're excellent. I do wonder why if you're after a 4000 size shimano that you dont buy a new (or second hand) Shimano Stradic. Okay the colour scheme grates a little, but otherwise they're brilliant. As barbel anglers the number of times we use a baitrunner is seriously limited, useful if you're doing some close season carping, but otherwise for small river summer work the Stradic would be my weapon of choice every time.

Jon

Good point, it is kind of a generic question...hopefully useful for others, I guess the availabilty of new 5000 size shimano's is a bit limited so far this year.

As for the size of reel it would have to be a 5000 for the majority of my barbel fishing on the Thames and Wye.

As for the Stradic it's a nice reel and with a figtin drag I could use it as a baitrunner in a snag swim on a small river and still be safe in the knowledge when I wake up in my bivvy....only joking to be honest I have a Daiwa capricorn I use for the Windrush.

Thanks everyone so far I think I will keep an eye out for an XTEA on here or on ebay that is realistic in price.

I guess the availabilty of new 5000 size shimano's is a bit limited so far this year.

5000 sized baitrunners are more than just a little limited. In the current Shimano range they are non-existent. Second hand prices of the later 5000 XTEAs and GTECs are creeping up on ebay. The only chance of a 5000 sized Shimano baitrunner is now limited to second hand or new old stock.

5000 sized baitrunners are more than just a little limited. In the current Shimano range they are non-existent. Second hand prices of the later 5000 XTEAs and GTECs are creeping up on ebay. The only chance of a 5000 sized Shimano baitrunner is now limited to second hand or new old stock.

After my post you confirmed what I thought but I never double checked, one of the reasons of including a 4000 size in the subject, but it would not be ideal......you would think they would have at least one 5000

I just sold one GTEC on this forum kept my other until I had what I wanted...and it could only be an improvement, looking on ebay XTEA's are going for around £95 -100 inc of P&P, to be honest is a bit OTT for second hand.

Last edited:
It's not that long ago that folks wanted to pay around fifty quid, or less, for very lightly used 5000 GTECs. XTEAs would achieve a bit more. Within the last month a pair of used, but boxed, 5000 GTECs sold on ebay for over £200. Don't get me wrong, that's extreme, but most are achieving more than the £45 that people try to offer on the forums.

agree Russ, they're excellent. I do wonder why if you're after a 4000 size shimano that you dont buy a new (or second hand) Shimano Stradic. Okay the colour scheme grates a little, but otherwise they're brilliant. As barbel anglers the number of times we use a baitrunner is seriously limited, useful if you're doing some close season carping, but otherwise for small river summer work the Stradic would be my weapon of choice every time.

And this put me on the trail of another piece of kit I have to explain to the Mrs as essential.:rolleyes:

Anyway I found a new Stradic for sale (not ebay) c/w with box and bag for £60, :eek: rang the guy but he was FISHING!! so spoke to his poor wife about this essential piece of kit and she was rather non-plussed about the whole thing, and said I should ring back in the morning.
What do you reckon Deal or No Deal?

I found a new Stradic for sale (not ebay) c/w with box and bag for £60, :eek: rang the guy but he was FISHING!! so spoke to his poor wife about this essential piece of kit and she was rather non-plussed about the whole thing, and said I should ring back in the morning.
What do you reckon Deal or No Deal?

As it has a bag, I'll guess that it must be a relatively recent version (GTMRA, GTMRB, GTMRC etc) rather that one of the original Japanese GTMs or Xs. They have a nasty habit of going for quite a bit more than £60 on ebay but the prices do vary quite a bit. £60 for one of the newer versions is reasonable, without being an absolute steal, unless it's had a hard life.

If it turns out to be one of the more expensive front drag versions, then it is a bit of a bargain.

Last edited:
After my post you confirmed what I thought but I never double checked, one of the reasons of including a 4000 size in the subject, but it would not be ideal......you would think they would have at least one 5000

I just sold one GTEC on this forum kept my other until I had what I wanted...and it could only be an improvement, looking on ebay XTEA's are going for around £95 -100 inc of P&P, to be honest is a bit OTT for second hand.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

£95-100............ and a few quid !

Back