• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

3ft Twitch Rubby Buddy Boilies

He should have put a big flouro pop up on that first post....

Spot on Stephen, I've travelled the south east and still haven't found a rod and butt rest up to standard in tackle shops. There's a gap in the market for the local traders, as all they seem to sell are those JR rests with crappy threads.

I forgot my landing net handle recently, so used rod rest (bank stick) as landing net handle... must be the best rod rest in the world. Can whack stingy nettles with it too.

Do you know,

I was watching a group of decent sized barbel in a river spook the moment I trickled a few bits of bait in. These were not pressured fish but fish that hardly ever experienced being caught. Now that's odd me thought?

So I fished for them and caught nothing. I returned with an Avon rod so i could trot or ledger for them and still caught nothing even though the barbel were there. I ledgered a free lined bait and still nothing. I returned several more times and still caught nothing. I was becoming embarrassed at my apparent angling ineptitude.

Upon returning once again, and it has to be said out of sheer frustration NOT angling mastery, I chose to fish on a single bright as a button fluorescent pink pop up. There it sat wafting gently in the current on a bed of gravel between two large beds of weed. It was there for perhaps two minutes when three barbel appeared out of the weed making a b-line for the pink pop up.

No. Can't be? The lead barbel took it instantly without so much as a sniff or whisker wangled and set about stripping line off my reel!!! A POP UP!!!! A PINK POP UP!!!!!

Eureka!!! Best kept barbel fishing secret is mine and I'll empty this river of barbel!!!

Never caught another barbel on a pink pop up from that day to this and my God did I try.

Those barbel are still there and I'm still trying to catch them. Just not on pink pop ups any more.

When I were a lad,

My mate came round our house one night after school clutching a rolled up copy of the Angling Times. "Hey Fletch look at this, this bloke is catching loads of bream using rice and sultanas as bait!!" So there we were huddled over the paper reading the report of this brand new baiting panacea. The method was fairly simple. The rice was par cooked to resemble maggots and mixed with brown crumb ground bait. The sultanas had boiling water poured over them and left to stand in the water over night to swell.

At the waters edge, in this case Wollaton Hall lake, the brown ground bait was mixed and the rice added together with a few swollen sultanas. Balls of this mix were catapulted out and we fished over this with a single swollen sultana on the hook. Now then, I envisaged the swollen sultanas might not stand the cast being quite soft so I suggested we took some smaller raisins along and tip the hook with them to stop the sultana from coming off.

That long summer school holiday we were the toast of the lake among'st the other kids as we pulled out bream after bream on this great concoction. We even had a few of the lakes large tench on it as well. Many's the night we cycled off for home with the whiff of bream snot in the air from the keep nets strapped to our cross bars. Those were the days. Butt indicators rattling against Mexican reed as another bream sailed away.

And to this day I never lost sight that our Mums pantry shelves had better bait on it than on the tackle shop shelves.

Back