• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

2013 season

Other than Mr Cooper (plain depressing), how did the first day go for others? Fantastic to get back to the river were my thoughts...

When are you lot going to learn????

Coops was probably tucked up in bed at midnight, having spent the day sipping shandy's with the boys on his lower Severn syndicate, while concocting more post to wind you all up....

Nice effort coops, but to be honest, its getting a little tedious for us mods now......

Steve

I was the only one drinking shandy in the pub on Saturday lunch time Steve (I was driving and taking painkillers) and I was also the only one who turned in early (another side effect of the painkillers).
What I do know is that when Patrick turned up on the fishery at about 8.30pm he was sober as a judge and when he left the clubhouse to set up after washing his tea mug at 11.30pm he was bristling with enthusiasm.
I have no idea if he caught or not, because as you know, our fishery is over a mile long, but why would anyone want to doubt him?

Last edited:
Mr Clark, the next day was a struggle. With a few bream only to come to the net. I think it will be a struggle as we are behind in the season by 6 weeks by my estimate. Still it is like you say great to be on the banks again with a rod in your hand.

Thanks Ade. It is unusual for me to be at a gathering and not suitably well lubricated but work is work and i couldn't get round it.

Last edited:
Wow!!
Anyway back to the more mundane I arrived on the Lower Severn, actually Severn Stoke at about 6.45, and it was packed, with bivvies dotted around like some huge green field mushroom, and indeed there was not much room (sorry!)so after a long walk I found a swim that I would never normally fish, but endured for about 90 minutes, the river seemed lifeless, and so was the tip of the rod, so ....

I decided to have a butches at the WA at Nafford. There was a match on, and indeed there was all four of them that BAA deemed necessary to close the whole section for, and on the 'Glorious 16th.' One guy was 'smashed' up by a Barbel I was informed, didn't have a chance on 2lb bottom he told me, I suggested that Barbel were a bit common here and he might want to rethink his approach. He wasn't catching 'silvers' either :rolleyes:

Digging further around off the main river I found a chap who had a Barbel and it was in the keepnet ready for weighing:eek: I have seen this chap before and it is safe to assume he has 'issues' (If you no what I mean:rolleyes:)

Fished the main river till dark with son and just one other on the stretch...not a touch for anyone.

So who cancelled Christmas?

Well done to the lucky one's that actually caught 'owt

I'll be back.:)

Today I managed 4am to noon on a very low, clear , and weedy Ribble, and also managed to avoid getting bothered by anything resembling a bite, or even a liner.
Glorious morning, was " buzzed" by a Kingfisher heading upstream at mach 3, also saw the resident black Mink swimming across the river with a duckling in its mouth, Swans winged their way upstream and missed the lines ( just ) There seemed to be a few fish rising and slapping about, maybe Salmon or Sea Trout, the usual Minnows were missing though.
There were a few " bivvied" up elsewhere, dont know if they had any luck.. I prefer to be awake when I fish myself.

Home by 1.30.

The River really needs some water flushing through to wake it up a bit, and increase the level, it was as low as I have seen it for quite some time.

David.

Thanks Ade. It is unusual for me to be at a gathering and not suitably well lubricated but work is work and i couldn't get round it.

You were there mate, A pleasure to see you.Wind was a bugger.

Anyone seen a Korum 50inch brolly with a clevis pin and a bit of fluro shock leader attached.

More luck than judgement really Neil it is Severn barbel fishing after all

Back