• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

2013/1014 Season Highlights?

Not too bad in terms of numbers 29 barbel from 36 sessions,I haven't fished since mid December and a pb chub 7lb4oz unfortunately on my barbel gear so in my head I don't think it really counts

Personal highlight was spotting an 11lb Loddon barbel surrounded by chub (the first time I'd actually sight-spotted one in that river), feeding the spot for two days, then catching it at the first attempt. Well, when I say first attempt, about four hours into the session.

The highlights for me was just being able to get on the bank, having sold my soul to my employers. On the fish front i suppose catching a 6lb 10oz chub and then on my next session(two weeks later) catching a 6lb 11oz chub were as good as it got. Fortunately i was targetting them at the time so made the captures more pleasing.

Kind Regards
Andy

It's been a fantastic season taking all things into account. In the close season last year I sat myself down and gave myself a bit of talking to because I realised I was being a bit lazy, not very adventuress and way too occupied with rigs. So it's been a season of firsts. The Wye, the Test, grayling, a barbel on the float and more besides. The Kennet has generally been kind this year too but catching has meant being far more mobile and trying to apply a bit of watercraft and then adapting my approach accordingly, including more practicing with the float. All of this meant actually listening and acting on superb advice, mainly from folk on here (you know who you are!).

In terms of catches, a day on the Wye for 15 barbel (including fish of 10lb and 12lb) and 15 chub from one swim in around 8 hours was pure magic. A PB barbel a few weeks back and a couple of 2lb grayling from the test are also highlights.

I have also thoroughly enjoyed meeting more people on the bank and fishing with like minded anglers.

One thing that has particularly stood out for me is that my catches on the Kennet have included a number of fish in the 4lb-6lb class and one stand out capture was a barbel of abound 8oz. Very encouraging.

Mine has to be a cracking 16lb 5oz Trent barbel and a p.b iv also had a 14lber 3 times a 13 and a fair few lower doubles, and not fished half as much as i have previously. Aswel as being offered a sponsorship deal.

Regards Wayne

Best session by far was back in July, in one afternoon had 10 fish two of which were over 13lb plus one other double, two big 9's and the rest were all between 6/9lb - and the best bit was they were all on the float........now that's proper fishing! Steve

Catching my first barbel then my second, downside wandering why i have spent so much time carp fishing when the Trent is only 15mins down the road.

Catching my first Nidd double, then catching the same fish a month later at a better weight. Other than that it was a tough season but one that culminated in me catching my first ever zander last night, then my second and third. The latter weighed a very pleasing 9lb 14oz.

Had a pretty poor season compared to last few highlight would be getting my dad on the river bank for first time in 20 years due to health and the fact I am better at catching now than he is lol

PB Perch of 3lb 6oz and finishing up with a further PB 30lb of Dace on the HA!

320lb of carp in a match!!! but apart from that, my first double figure barbel, and also my first warks avon barbel, followed by many others...oh, and a PB 5lb 1oz chub!

My memorable moment was taking a disabled friend to the Trent for a day and seeing the smile on his face when I landed his first Barbel.

It gets no better than that Jon.

It doesn't really. He was hit by a motorised vehicle as a youngster, which damaged him irreverisibly, took another serious incident in his twenties and bounced back. I have watched him play wild carp on his father's pin like a pro, an honest chap as the day is long. His mother gave me the ok to take him and long may the friedship continue.

Sitting on an Indian river bank,in the evening, fishing for Mahseer and hearing a Tiger roar twice on the other bank,never to be forgotten.Catching an upper 13 from a tiny stream, with no official river record was another.

As tigers are one of the few big cats that actually enjoy getting into the water, and are strong swimmers, I would have remembered that incident as well Mark. Certainly for as long as it took me to reach base camp (not long at a zillion mph), take a shower and find my clean underwear :D

Cheers, Dave.

We also had 3 good mahseer that day,one of which took me and a guide for a crazy coracle ride.We were both upset we did not get a chance to see the Tiger ,forget the danger ,you on live once.

I know Mark, my comment was meant only as a bit of fun. I have done many very foolhardy things in my life, and concur with your sentiments completely.

Cheers, Dave.

My highlight two 6 pound chub one on my first session in June and one on the last in March. Other than that an average year but happy days on the Kennet and a Wye with good company and large packed lunches!

Back