• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

2013/1014 Season Highlights?

Wayne Glossop

With this season ending today. How has it been fo you all? Any acheivements to share?

Regards Wayne

two 12's in as many days with plenty of 6-8s, a new PB Crucian which I can't see myself beating anytime soon and a nice string of decent Grayling through the winter!

Being as the weather scuppered most of my plans, My 2nd Wye double @10-1 last weekend in glorious, unseasonal weather has to be my highlight.........
That and a jolly good social weekend on The Wye near Hay in June. The fishing was very slow, but the weekend was what fishing is all about !!!
Had a decent day for Grayling on the Upper Hants Avon on Monday, but I fished that badly I can't help but think what might've been............
As always, when I get out fishing with some good mates, the craic makes up for the blanks !!!

I know I caught some nice fish from several different rivers but for some reason these are the things that have stuck in my head about my season:
Putting my Kennet PB up by over a pound - and then blanking for the next 5 visits...
Blanking more times than I care to admit to and far more than I can ever remember in one season...
Having a robin first hover in front of my knee, exactly like a hummingbird, to eat some crumbs from it and then actually sit on it to finish them off...
Not being able to see where the fields ended and the river began for about three months...
Watching my umbrella slowly sink out of all reach in the river in the middle of a downpour of Biblical proportions....
Having my season brought to a premature end by a deer trying to commit suicide, leaping in front of my car from the hedge on the way back from a session on the WA...
Fishing? It's a funny old game, as somebody once nearly said.

Gaining entry to a fantastic club devoid of litter and idiots. Best fishing I've enjoyed since I stopped fishing the Kennet and Loddon.

Nick C

Has been a poor season for me catch wise, but it's never a waste of time learning, and you are never too old to learn, the highlight was a superbly conditioned 11lb early season Barbel from the W.Avon in early June, and I was thinking this is gonna be the season :) the other was this morning with the mist rising over the river that I had all to myself, and a daylight fox.

Oh! and later running into the geezer with that splasher on the front page :p

Has been a poor season for me catch wise, but it's never a waste of time learning, and you are never too old to learn, the highlight was a superbly conditioned 11lb early season Barbel from the W.Avon in early June, and I was thinking this is gonna be the season :) the other was this morning with the mist rising over the river that I had all to myself, and a daylight fox.

Oh! and later running into the geezer with that splasher on the front page :p

Had your usual head start on the rest of us then Neil

Hi men ,

Mark , fantastic fish , and a highlight of any season .

Me and Sue has had a mixed season , but some really good fish came our way , but the highlight is still to come , because if Luton Town win promotion out of the pub league they were forced into then that will be better than any fish I could have caught :D , more to life than fishing ! :eek::p

If Chelsea win the champions league , of the premiership I will get back to you Mark !.

Hatter

Didn't do a lot of fishing this season and very few sessions after the barbel. Highlights were a great day on the Itchen with the lads from Twyford, and then a 9-2 on the float a couple of days ago while chub fishing! :D
Very well done Mark......from the Kennet?;)

Brilliant my old mate Mark.

What a corker.

Highlight 5 river roach over 2lb.

2 English carp over 35lb and one over 37lb.

On the barbel front couple 13s and couple 12 s
But about twice as many blanks as catch days rather than usual other way round.

Graham

Graham

Last edited:
Highlights for me were my first Loddon double and 5+ chub, my first trips to the Wye (thanks SD), my first ever 2lb rudd, new PBs for tench and carp, and lots of great fishing with good friends.

fantastic would be nice to see a photo of that lady :)

mobilephonepics020_zpse2e183c8.jpg

16.01 from 'southern river' :rolleyes:

Lovely barbel Mark....what a way to end the season.

For me when I look back it wasn't as bad as I thought. Two Loddon big girls targeted and caught during the summer/autumn. A new PB chub caught by design. Didn't waste too much time chasing barbel during the winter months as found the pike much more obliging and fun to fish for.

Back