• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

15 foot trotting rod

I went for a Daiwa 15/17ft River Float rod which I manged to get in as new condition (plastic still on cork) for £130. It weighs 8oz (226g) at 15ft and 9oz at 17ft, feels well balanced and has a line rating of 2-8lb. Haven't put it to use yet but on first impressions I'm very pleased with it - looks just the job.

Nick C

I bought the Free Spirit Tamer Power Float in 15' last week.
Only had chub so far, but it showed its backbone when one weeded me. It has a lot of power when the middle and butt sections come into play and a very reasonable price.

No Jon, looking at the spec and price of the rod, I think it’s very similar to the Connoisseur. Hoping to give it a test drive on the Trent soon.

Thinking of getting a 15 or 17 float rod myself, always liked Daiwa so probably going to go for a connoisseur or tournament in the float range, what's your take on these two rods guys, I know the connys when available are getting quite desirable but will also check out the 15 powermesh that Jon mentioned.

Daiwa have recently released a new Connoisseur range. I've no idea what they are like and the only reason I became aware of their existence was because they popped up on ebay. The specs would suggest that they are hardly the lightest rods in the world, but with a line rating up to 8lb and a lower price than the really light competition, it's perhaps not too surprising.

Back