• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

15 foot trotting rod

Dave Quinn

Senior Member & Supporter
I know we get one of these every year but I'm looking to get a 15' rod for trotting for Barbel and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of any newer rods to add to the usual list?

Ive benn using an acolyte plus for 18 months and say they're upto it, some would disagree. Then you have the cadence #2 which are getting good reveiws and are being widely used on the Wye.

Thanks jason

I do have a 13 foot acolyte plus, it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it so far.

I thought the cadence #3 sounded more like it would be more of a barbel trotting rod but obviously not. The price looks good compared to an acolyte

Last edited:
Thanks jason

I do have a 13 foot acolyte plus, it’s handled everything I’ve thrown at it so far.

I thought the cadence #3 sounded more like it would be more of a barbel trotting rod but obviously not. The price looks good compared to an acolyte

There isn't a Cadence #3 15ft. There is now however a 14ft #3 just out. I have used the prototype it is just right IMO for larger fish. The extra power helps set the hook at range and then control the fish. I had always used 15 - 16 but have been converted as the extra foot over a 13 makes a huge difference when controlling your float and it feels a lot nicer to fish with than a longer rod and certainly more versatile.

Yes John, that's mine! I'm selling it to fund a 15 footer. I'm hoping the extra foot will make the difference on the river i fish where running your float tight to the far bank brings the best results. And I fancy a change. I'll probably end up buying another one at some point

Yes John, that's mine! I'm selling it to fund a 15 footer. I'm hoping the extra foot will make the difference on the river i fish where running your float tight to the far bank brings the best results. And I fancy a change. I'll probably end up buying another one at some point
You will regret that Dave. I think. What rod are u after? I use the 14ft Spectron and a tourney 15ft long distance. Aerocasts are great and so are the free spirit 15s. Not a great deal of choice in power 15s.

You will regret that Dave. I think. What rod are u after? I use the 14ft Spectron and a tourney 15ft long distance. Aerocasts are great and so are the free spirit 15s. Not a great deal of choice in power 15s.

Thanks Jon. That’s why I was asking the question, if there was anything newer about.

6lb mainline, 4.5 on the hooklength. No need for anything stronger where I’m fishing but I’d like to have the option when I move to a river with faster flow and bigger fish

that's pretty much what I use, I have gone 6 straight through on the 15ft plus and used it on the wye with big bolo floats and been fine with it taking a lot of big fish. not sure I would want to use any stronger and try hit and hold though.

I have a 14 foot Acolyte plus, and a Daiwa 13/15 Spectron. My thoughts are, the Acolyte is lighter in the hand, just. The Daiwa is more powerful if the Barbel are bigger 10lb plus. The Daiw offers a 13 foot for smaller rivers. Both are nice to play bigger fish on as well as small stuff. I would be aware of weight too, the 14’ Acolyte with a pin on it, is as heavy as I would like to hold for long periods. Th Daiwa a 13’ is light, very, but at 15’ it’s better for laying on, something I do a lot for big Barbel late evening after a days trotting. I would ask myself would a 15’ rod do more than a 14’. 15’ Rods like most long Rods have to be we’ll balanced. The 14’ Acolyte is just that.

I use a Acolyte plus 13 ft with a TFG freeflow mostly, and it's a fantastic combination. The Freeflow is only 220 grams. No longer available unfortunately but the TFG classic is almost as good and even lighter at 202 grams, could help if an outfit is feeling a bit heavy.
For comparison an Okuma Sheffield is 280 grams. I would say the classic is the better reel and I've used a Sheffield since they first came out.

Thanks everybody

I kept the 14’ Daiwa Spectron XP in the end. I’ll keep an eye out for something second hand at 15’

I use a Acolyte plus 13 ft with a TFG freeflow mostly, and it's a fantastic combination. The Freeflow is only 220 grams. No longer available unfortunately but the TFG classic is almost as good and even lighter at 202 grams, could help if an outfit is feeling a bit heavy.
For comparison an Okuma Sheffield is 280 grams. I would say the classic is the better reel and I've used a Sheffield since they first came out.

Hi Paul

I think I remember that we fish the same stretch of Marford. My shoulder gives me so much trouble after I’ve been trotting now that I’m looking to go as light as possible. I’ll be swapping an Okuma (not a Sheffield) for a TFG to see if it makes it any better. Probably not

My shoulder gives me so much trouble after I’ve been trotting now that I’m looking to go as light as possible. I’ll be swapping an Okuma (not a Sheffield) for a TFG to see if it makes it any better. Probably not

If 15' and as light a combo as possible is the aim, look at an Acolyte Plus and a Hardy Conquest.
I have a bit of a thing for long rods and have (or have had) most of the usual suspects. The Hardy Conquest is actually a bit too light for most 15' rods. However, the Acolytes are so well balanced that the reel being stupidly light doesn't matter. To my mind, there are 15' rods out there with a bit more grunt than the Acolyte Plus, but they are all heavier. The only similar rod that gets close to the weight of an Acolyte is the Browning Sphere 15'6" River. It is a little more forward balanced so, despite the actual weight being within a few grams, it feels a bit heavier still. It's also not an out and out beefy rod either. Using Acolytes for trotting has made me a wuss. Rods I happily used before I got them now feel rather heavy.

Anyone used the Tricast XRS 2K4 Power Carp Match rod 14ft for trotting for barbel ? Given its title, I don't doubt it has the power, but how heavy is it ? Too heavy for 5 hours of trotting ?

Nick C

Tricast are very light. What's the line rating. Should give a good indicator on power etc.

Back