• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

14 th Ousemeister Barbel Challenge Saturday 28th September Yorkshire Ouse Cherryfields Newton on Ouse

OK chaps here is the menu for food afterwards :

Starters : carrot and coriander soup - £3.95 , Black pudding fritters , and apple puree- £4.95 , Creamy garlic mushroomson toast -£4.95
Main courses: Burger and usual trimmings £10.50 , Bacon Chop £6.50, Griddled chicken breast, sautade potatoes, bacon and peas £10.50 , Fish and chips £10.50 , tomato and roast pepper taglietelli with torn mozarella-£9.95, Steak pie , chips , peas and carrots £10.50 . If you could let me know your choice/ choices a.s.a.p. I would be very grateful , just post on here or e mail me mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com

OK chaps here is the menu for food afterwards :

Starters : carrot and coriander soup - £3.95 , Black pudding fritters , and apple puree- £4.95 , Creamy garlic mushroomson toast -£4.95
Main courses: Burger and usual trimmings £10.50 , Bacon Chop £6.50, Griddled chicken breast, sautade potatoes, bacon and peas £10.50 , Fish and chips £10.50 , tomato and roast pepper taglietelli with torn mozarella-£9.95, Steak pie , chips , peas and carrots £10.50 . If you could let me know your choice/ choices a.s.a.p. I would be very grateful , just post on here or e mail me mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com
Black pudding.
Fish and Chips 👍

Final instructions : Gentlemen can we please meet at 12pm prompt on Saturday on the Back Lane in Newton on Ouse YO30 2BN [ this is the postcode for the Blacksmiths Arms the rear of which backs on to Back Lane]. Please park neatly on the grass verge its signed car park, there should be room for all , do not park on the lane itself or too near the war memorial . I will arrive early and walk the stretch to ensure it is fishable , if not I will update with a post on here so please check in before setting off . Thanks .

Last edited:
Just looked at level now..it looks around 8 foot up and still rising with all this rain!
We've fished when it's much higher..but finding enough fishable swims as it gets higher is the issue!

Just got back from the river, 8ft + and rising , there are insufficient pegs for everyone to fish so unfortunately I am cancelling the Ousemeister event for today . Apologies for disappointment but that's the way it is . If you know of anyone attending who does not frequent this forum please let them know . I will look in to re scheduling

That's terribly unlucky.

Just a suggestion from an outsider's perpective (which may be a daft one, I dunno) - if it should happen to be in flood again next time - there will be a number of those attending with York or/and Leeds books, so spread the event out by a couple of miles, pool knowledge of the good flood pegs, fish anyway and convene back for jolly company in the pub?

Last edited:
Back