• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

14 th Ousemeister Barbel Challenge Saturday 28th September Yorkshire Ouse Cherryfields Newton on Ouse

Mike Hodgkiss

Its that time of year again . For those of you who have not attended before this is a fun/ social event event where we fish for an afternoon/evening on this lovely stretch of the Yorkshire Ouse . There is a competitive edge in that there is a trophy and prize for the largest Barbel caught plus a shield for the most number of Tommy Ruffe caught , also a prize for the longest gudgeon and the customary magnum of champagne for the largest Burbot . This is not a match per se so no need to bring a keepnet , there is no weigh in you just weigh/ measure your own . We fish 1pm to 7 pm and then retire to the Black Horse pub in Tollerton for a meal , drinks and banter . I am restricting numbers to 15 so its first come first served , if interested post on here or e mail me mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com . Entry cost is £6 to cover the day ticket price and booking fee . Thanks to Newton AC for letting us use the stretch , I will post more details nearer the time

One more Mike, Rob Paylor, he's staying for food too. He's not on BFW but I'll pass on the details.

Update : Confirmed attendees so far , Peter Hamilton,Ken Jones , Gavin Hoe - Richardson, Robin Bowes ,Richard Morris, James Morris,David Maddison,Jake Hogger,Rob Paylor,Glyn Brown,John Clark and myself . As stated in the original post I would like to keep numbers to 15 , however I could stretch to 20 but anymore than that and it would be a little cramped particularly if the river is running high as in this state not all the pegs [ approximately 30 in total ] would be fishable .

Attendees update , Peter Hamilton,Ken Jones , Gavin Hoe -Richardson,Robin Bowes,Richard Morris , James Morris,David Maddison,Jake Hogger,Rob Paylor,Glynn Brown, John Clark , myself, Greg Mellor , Peter Mellor, and Harry Waudby , 15 in total . If any of you know anyone who may want to attend please advise them to post here or contact me a.s.a.p. definite max of 20 .

Crikey , that was a day to forget Dave , the river was so high I think 90% of us were fishing in the fields rather than the river !

Attendees update : Peter Hamilton,Ken Jones,Gavin Hoe-Richardson,Robin Bowes,Richard Morris, James Morris,David Maddison, Jake Hogger,Rob Paylor,Glynn Brown,John Clark,myself, Greg Mellor,Peter Mellor, Harry Waudby, Jonny Robinson, 16 in total.If any of you know anyone else who wants to attend ask them to post here or contact me a.s.a.p., definite maximum will be 20 anglers

Update .Attendees , Peter Hamilton, Ken Jones , Gavin Hoe - Richardson,Robin Bowes,Richard Morris, James Morris,David Maddison,Jake Hogger,Rob Paylor,Glyn Brown,John Clark,Me, Peter Mellor, Greg Mellor,Harry Waudby,Jonny Robinson,Mark Dyer and Peter Moore 18 in total . If you want food afterwards in the Pub and haven't already let me know please contact me a.s.a.p -mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com or text 07858757354. I will also need everyones mobile number in case I need to cancel at the last minute due to flooding . Thanks .

I noticed, from across the river, two distinguished-looking sporting gentlemen preparing pegs on the Cherryfields stretch yesterday afternoon.

I wondered if perchance this was any of your good selves?

Update , we have had x 2 more takers so entry is now closed for Ousemeisters this year . Also a gentle reminder , those who haven't been in touch please let me know your mobile number and whether you require food after the fishing , its only a little pub so they want to know numbers in advance . contact me mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com or text [ please don't ring ] 07858757354. Thanks.

Update , attendees: Mike Hodgkiss, Robin Bowes, Patrick Hodgkiss,James Morris, Richard Morris,Gavin Hoe- Richardson, Rob Paylor,Jake Hogger,Glyn Brown,David Maddison,Mark Dyer,Ken Jones,Greg Mellor,Peter Mellor,Harry Waudby,Jonny Robinson,John Clark,Peter Hamilton,Mike Lowrence, Peter Moore. 20 in total . Harry Waudby,Jonny Robinson,John Clark,Peter Hamilton and Peter Moore I don't appear have information as to whether you want food afterwards or not could you let me know a.s.a.p. if I don't hear from you I will presume you don't want food .Thanks.

Last edited:
Back