• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

13 th ?[ umpteenth ]Ousemeisters Barbel Challenge 2018 - Yorkshire Ouse , Newton on Ouse 22/9/2018

I tried fishing there yesterday evening. Couldn't hold bottom with 5oz, even where I could cast 50 yards upstream. Problem was the vegetation on the line, all the small stuff coming down, never seen so much grass in a Yorkshire river, maybe stuff that hasn't been well-rooted in the banks of the whole Ouse system because of the drought?

However, I did look across with envy at one or two slacks on the Beningbrough side, so I hope you can find some of those today, lads. Good luck!

Last edited:
It was a good craic as always even though no fish were actually caught!
Maybe the 4 degree drop in water temp since Wednesday was the reason?
The highlight of the event for me was when Jim Bowen (aka Mike Hodgkiss) showed us what we could have won! A beautifully restored split cane rod. (I'd take that over a speed boat any day!!) ;)

Thanks for organising that again, Mike. Hopefully the conditions now improve for you all on the river now, I have a feeling some nice fish will come out over the next week or two. It’s a nice place to blank on anyway

Yes a glorious water licking from old Mother Ouse yesterday , fickle as ever .It was great to see both old and new faces .The barbel were doggo with only one lost fish between us , the Ruffe remained unruffled and as for the gudgeon who knows... Many thanks to Newton A.C. for allowing us to fish the stretch and to the Black Horse Tollerton for the good food and beer . The cane rod was sold later that evening and has gone to a very good home . I think the cold water and the fact that it was our 13th Ousemeister get together explains our lack of success . Here's to the 14th !

Back