• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

1 year anniversary of new BFW forum

Andy Frances

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Everyone,

One year ago today we locked the old Yuku boards and launched this version of the BFW Forums, with a set of new membership requirements.

Although we've seen some tittle-tattle over the past few weeks, I'm positive it was the right thing to do and am generally very pleased with the atmosphere here. There is always a minority who will speak negatively, but that's life. If the negativity continues, some users will have their posting rights withdrawn.

On a more positive note, during the past twelve months we have raised £1372 for our chosen charities (McMillan Nurses and Cancer Research). This breaks down as £1097 is new member contributions and £275 raised at our fish-in on the Severn last year (thanks to Graham E, Mark N and Steve W). I'll be making the donations in the next couple of days to the charities.

Thank you all,

Andy F

The swop from YUKU was a great move and improved things dramatically . With regard to recent events , My view for what it's worth , first transgression warning , next time ,out on your ear . Moderators word is final no arguing . Hard but fair , we don't want to return to the dark days ...

A very good move Andy and the boards are a more peacefull place now a days. May it continue.

It's been a good year Andy. At first some wondered whether it might become a bit "sterile" with everyone using their real names and behaving themselves, but not so, we still have a fair degree of debate and banter alike. As for the less desirable content, apart from the last week or two I think it has gone very well, and it was definitely a good move away from the previous forum of hidden agendas and aliases.

When I actually closed the Yuku forums last January, I did leave it such that there is still a wealth of very interesting and readable stuff there, which I hope people will still bother to look at, some nostalgic, some still very relevant. http://barbelfishingworld.yuku.com/directory

Lets hope the next year sees it go from strength to strength.

paul4

Yes i agree with Mike boot up the jacksy:D Though its a much nicer place now:)

Yeah lot better but still a few bad eggs on here BUT you always going to get them .

I think site has been much better than old one especially having nobody hiding under a nickname. I like rescent posts that put an alternate view on things like rescent catch on light float gear & balanced tackle. I think there is a bit of "cabin fever" with posts getting out of hand due to not being able to go fishing. No moderation required if said "bad eggs" just reel in and get back talking about fishing. If you want to have a go use PM's.

Congratulations Andy, and thanks for creating the new boards, it is still as enjoyable and informative as it ever was, congrats on the money raised, wasn't there also some from the Trent fish-in which I missed?

We need another early next season!!

Regarding bad eggs, they will learn, I must admit to having had times in the past where I have just spoken my mind, which when you are in your own house it is easy to do without really thinking...........these days I try to give some thought to how my words can be interpreted and I think that is what some still really need to do more.......... I think there are a few who just come across in the wrong way because they forget people cannot see there face or mood whenb they read the written word and it is so easy to interpret things differently than a poster intended them........

We should make 2011 the BFW year of "Think before you post!"

A big thanks & appreciation to Andy & those that maintain this site. It is no small achievement & long may it continue

Jon

Hi Andy,
A good move ? absolutley, as we've seen over the last week, we can still have debate, even heated at times, but thats not a bad thing i think, it's when in the past it often decended into a personal slagging match, it became intolerable, all done ( well mostly ) from behind an alias.

We still have the same imotive subjects, but disagreement is now civilised and the debates much better for it.

Well done - I hope BFW goes from strength to strength, i'm sure it will.

Ian.

Hi Andy,
A good move ? absolutley, as we've seen over the last week, we can still have debate, even heated at times, but thats not a bad thing i think, it's when in the past it often decended into a personal slagging match, it became intolerable, all done ( well mostly ) from behind an alias.

We still have the same imotive subjects, but disagreement is now civilised and the debates much better for it.

Well done - I hope BFW goes from strength to strength, i'm sure it will.

Ian.

I think thats the crux of it Ian.

The personal slagging matches highlight one thing in my opinion, and that is a lack of respect. Its a shame, because it doesn't happen across the board, and Angling will never be united whilst this is the case.

I said at the time that posting under your own name wouldn't solve the problem, but some were convinced that people would be scared of the repercussions from speaking their mind.

Certainly the site is far easier to monitor.
Good move and happy new forum birthday Bfw.
Bless Bfw and all that post on here.

Cheers
Bob

Pointless being coy here, I am one of those being labelled "bad eggs." Now with that in mind lets ask ourselves why:

On the rivers reports I was called a liar because I reported a days catch return that was better than others, not a huge catch of ten barbel all good doubles, no I think it was eight barbel to 8lbs and four chub to 5lb, 60lbish of fish, not an exceptional catch by most peoples standards, a good days fishing but not monumental.

On same river report, I've commented on conditions only to have my report scrutinised like I haven't a clue what I'm talking about, maybe I haven't but who is to judge...

Then a post of mine is mis-read, so I highlight the fact and lead the individual towards an amicable conclusion but no he decides better to refuse.

Given that wouldn't you retaliate??
(and that's what I do retaliate, not instigate)

I make no apology for my conduct, no need in my opinion.

All the best and happy anniversary.

Happy anniversary BFW :)

Personally, I wasn't too unhappy with the old version, but perhaps I'm thicker skinned than some (or just thick!).

The new site seems to have been a big success and I'm particularly grateful to Andy F for keeping it going, as he seemed to be getting a bit disillusioned with it all.

Looking forward to the next fish-in - anyone ?

A year already blimey where does the time go? I think the site is better than ever so thanks to Andy and all concerned and all the best for the future.

Regards
Al
:)

As many have already said the previous board on YUKU had become a bear pit with keyboard warriors spoiling it. A better site and I can't say i've seen that many instances where the Mod's have had to step in.

Back