• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

OMC magic twig

Hi men ,

No issue with omc who are searching for something different to come to the market as let's face it they are just producing stuff already out there or very minor changes .

BUT the twig and now the wand step over the line for me , just a personal thing , one step away from more hideous variants that people will come up with , but Ali is in so deep he must keep selling them . I always play with stuff when I go in the shop and other than a couple of small items none of them are any better than what's out there . Anyone who thinks of adding a plastic component with 2 extra swivels to the lead clip is not a problem is blind .

I'm not the demographic that these things with silly names are aimed at , they are for tictok / Facebook / "smash " anglers , so he ain't going to get rich from me , but he won't lose any sleep over that 😁, as there are enough followers to keep them going 👍

Hattet
Mark, have you changed your name to a more feminine one. You'll be wearing skirts next. 🤭

So the two arms sticking out doesn't concern anyone? It's described in Thames EA byelaws as illegal ( it pulls back) and if it's no different to self hooking rigs already widely in use , what is all the tears (Hamidi) and hype about?
I might be wrong but from what I can see this version doesn’t have the arms sticking out … by the way the new product is called the magic wand not twig …. Each to their own I say it’s not for me but I wouldn’t have a problem with anyone using it ……some of those videos made when the twig came out were ridiculous people mounting it on backwards and reeling it through weed … I think there’s another agenda here

Whilst I have watched the latest explanation by Ali Hamidi regarding the twig / wand on YouTube and accept that people can choose to use the device for Carp fishing , I am really quite concerned that the devices are being now being promoted for use in Chub and Barbel fishing on his latest post fishing the Wye. He says about hitting finicky bites and using it stops them - there’s a better way How about holding the rod and touch legering ?

Whilst I have watched the latest explanation by Ali Hamidi regarding the twig / wand on YouTube and accept that people can choose to use the device for Carp fishing , I am really quite concerned that the devices are being now being promoted for use in Chub and Barbel fishing on his latest post fishing the Wye. He says about hitting finicky bites and using it stops them - there’s a better way How about holding the rod and touch legering ?
Hi men

No agenda with him , he is just fronting in a way to attract the type of angler that thinks it's the emperor new clothes , short cutting to end up with pictures on Facebook/Instagram. Arms or not the use of 2 extra swivels on the wrong side of the leadclip only spell trouble to me . Each to their own , I'd rather us my fanatically sharpened hooks , and if that ain't good enough then the fish wins 👍

Hatter

Is there a link to that. I knew he was here last week

It’s designed for modern anglers that have their rods on the rod pod with alarms on and having a receiver in the bivvy while they lay on the bed. Holding the rod and touch ledgering? Come on, they don’t even bother to watch the rod tip…

I might be wrong but from what I can see this version doesn’t have the arms sticking out … by the way the new product is called the magic wand not twig …. Each to their own I say it’s not for me but I wouldn’t have a problem with anyone using it ……some of those videos made when the twig came out were ridiculous people mounting it on backwards and reeling it through weed … I think there’s another agenda here

Mounting it backwards was to show what would happen if a fish ran through weed with those arms open acting as a mini rake. At the very least they would put significantly more pressure on the hook, at worst tear the hook out and damage mouths.

I didn’t use to mind Ali, but he’s gone totally over the top now to appeal to the hashtag/tiktok generation of anglers, the ridiculous shaved Mohican with the company name in for a start! It’s all about social media reach, and never underestimate the influence it has on virtually everyone these days. Look at the misinformation, conspiracy theories etc that are pushed on millions of people through algorithms that show you more and more of what it thinks you like. It’s the same with marketing.

The exact words of the twig inventor ‘I wanted something that would strike for me while I was tucked up nice and warm in my bivvy’ made me cringe. I’m a bivvy (well, open fronted brolly usually) angler, alarms, 2 rods etc most of the time, but my mindset is a million miles removed from these guys.

Mounting it backwards was to show what would happen if a fish ran through weed with those arms open acting as a mini rake. At the very least they would put significantly more pressure on the hook, at worst tear the hook out and damage mouths.

I didn’t use to mind Ali, but he’s gone totally over the top now to appeal to the hashtag/tiktok generation of anglers, the ridiculous shaved Mohican with the company name in for a start! It’s all about social media reach, and never underestimate the influence it has on virtually everyone these days. Look at the misinformation, conspiracy theories etc that are pushed on millions of people through algorithms that show you more and more of what it thinks you like. It’s the same with marketing.

The exact words of the twig inventor ‘I wanted something that would strike for me while I was tucked up nice and warm in my bivvy’ made me cringe. I’m a bivvy (well, open fronted brolly usually) angler, alarms, 2 rods etc most of the time, but my mindset is a million miles removed from these guys.
No different to fishing a swimfeeder or a big running lead …anything that’s on your
Mainline is susceptible to picking up weed ….so not really an argument for me …I’m not a Ali Hamidi fan far from it neither would I use a twig /wand but let’s take the blinkers off..even the self hooking argument 95% of carp rig’s these days are designed to be self hooking otherwise we would all still be side hooking boiles or freelining a par boiled potato… as for he’s haircut can’t say it’s something that’s really bothered me

No different to fishing a swimfeeder or a big running lead …anything that’s on your
Mainline is susceptible to picking up weed ….so not really an argument for me …I’m not a Ali Hamidi fan far from it neither would I use a twig /wand but let’s take the blinkers off..even the self hooking argument 95% of carp rig’s these days are designed to be self hooking otherwise we would all still be side hooking boiles or freelining a par boiled potato… as for he’s haircut can’t say it’s something that’s really bothered me

I’d say sticking out arms are definitely an arguement. - if it isn’t, then why has the design been changed to remove them?

And yes you’ve got a good point re feeders and running leads, one I’ve made many times and usually get sneered at for using lead clips - would you personally use running feeders/leads in snaggy swims/weedy situations without being able to drop off if caught up? I would hope not, but the twig can’t drop off, so again it is a relevant point.

We all use self hooking rigs, including running leads on rivers, because either the tension in the line or the lead/feeder hooks them anyway. The idea of a retracting rig isn’t even new, there have been various iterations of it over the years including the hermit rig, bungee rig etc. Ali crying on camera like it was some kind of life-changing moment that was going to change carp fishing forever was just hilarious. No serious angler is using it because it makes no difference.

I’d say sticking out arms are definitely an arguement. - if it isn’t, then why has the design been changed to remove them?

And yes you’ve got a good point re feeders and running leads, one I’ve made many times and usually get sneered at for using lead clips - would you personally use running feeders/leads in snaggy swims/weedy situations without being able to drop off if caught up? I would hope not, but the twig can’t drop off, so again it is a relevant point.

We all use self hooking rigs, including running leads on rivers, because either the tension in the line or the lead/feeder hooks them anyway. The idea of a retracting rig isn’t even new, there have been various iterations of it over the years including the hermit rig, bungee rig etc. Ali crying on camera like it was some kind of life-changing moment that was going to change carp fishing forever was just hilarious. No serious angler is using it because it makes no difference.
The design has been changed that was the point of my post.. it’s now called the magic wand but even on the original the arms were very flexible and did bend right back ..but like I said before not for me … for breakaway leads I use the enterprise run rings you can cast 5oz with them but the lead comes of very easy ….nothing wrong with using lead clips Though

Ali has aimed 95% of his marketing at the new anglers who fished over stocked puddles and have probably never tried any other type of fishing. The thing that i can’t stand is all the complete backside kissing he gets for every post which seems to be from people in their 50’s upwards. It’s like he’s a god to them and they hang on every word and get really upset when you say something against him. Bit like Jim Shelley used to be, say something he didn’t like he’d tell his sheep you need “therapy” and then you’d just get bombarded with abuse.

I have to say I don't really understand this animosity towards the Twig or Hamidi.
He and OMC are no different to any other commercial enterprise.
Some of what is sold in the name of catching fishing is pretty laughable sometimes, but such is it's prevelance I have to say I am just indifferent to it all these days.

Magic Wand
20241006_152400.jpg

I have to say I don't really understand this animosity towards the Twig or Hamidi.
He and OMC are no different to any other commercial enterprise.
Some of what is sold in the name of catching fishing is pretty laughable sometimes, but such is it's prevelance I have to say I am just indifferent to it all these days.
Hi men

Nothing against Ali , or OMC as it gives anglers choice , but the twig borders on morally wrong to me , but as iv said it's only me so he won't lose sleep over that 😜

Hatter

arms or no arms, this device to a specimen carp angler is no different to a hair rig for a barbel angler. It’s used to hook the fish.
I’ve read comments from people saying they can’t believe it strikes for you. How is that sporting. It’s a step too far…. Then most of us go and sit behind rigs that behave in exactly the same way for barbel.

Carp at a certain size are very switched on. They can pick up and throw out the most aggressive of bolt rigs so this device is there to push the odds in the anglers favour. It’s fine if you don’t agree with that but understand you’re doing the exact same thing if you use a hair rig for barbel.

Barbel (as much as I love em) are as thick as 2 short planks when it comes to taking a bait. They’ll happily hook emselves on a 6 foot hook length, free running rig with a size 6 buried deep in a lump of spam. By adding the hair (which again can be an inch long) you’re just increasing the odds in your favour.

Couple that with a 6 or 8 oz cage feeder and you’ve got the barbel version of a snag grabbing self hooking anti strike, sit on your hands and wait rig.

I’m certainly not going to buy one and i doubt many barbel guys n girls will do either
It’s not gonna bring an any advantage to us as barbel are notorious for giving great hook holds on the simplest of rigs.

I think a barbel's ability to outwit some anglers varies based on many things, but they can be very cagey feeders.
The rest of your post I cannot disagree with, Richard.
There are so many items of equipment that do exactly the same as what as what the twig/wand tries to do.

Hi men

Agreed , any weight on the rig , or using a leadclip set up is fairly well a self hooking rig , but the twig is a self hooking rig tied to a self hooking rig 😜 .
We used watch barbel feeding , sight fishing as much as possible, in fact because we can't find fishing that suits the way we like to fish is the reason Sue has hung her rods up , but if anyone thinks they ain't getting done with fish picking up hookbaits then they ain't seen what we have . We used to make many changes in a swim depending on what was going on in front of our eyes .

Will stick to my razor sharp hooks 👍 , but each to their own 🙂

Hatter

Back