• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Chasing chub....

It’s the total other end of the scale down here on the nene. Sitting right on its arse and seriously low and clear.
The chub were really timid and falling back along way when one was caught but I managed a few trotting with the Tsi and 8lb straight through just to keep em out the cabbages which are all over the river

Attachments

• IMG_5618.jpeg
    IMG_5618.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5620.jpeg
    IMG_5620.jpeg
    370.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5613.jpeg
    IMG_5613.jpeg
    266.7 KB · Views: 126
It’s the total other end of the scale down here on the nene. Sitting right on its arse and seriously low and clear.
The chub were really timid and falling back along way when one was caught but I managed a few trotting with the Tsi and 8lb straight through just to keep em out the cabbages which are all over the river

Only just clocked this!...well done Richard crackin' chub there bud 🙂👍.

Today I had a couple of hours, spent mostly walking, fighting my way through undergrowth and squatting horseflies. I must have killed about 30 or more of the barstewards and miraculously managed to evade being injected and drained of me blood!
Anyhow, I did manage a few smaller chub, lots of dace and one very decent chub before I got fed up and came home.
I have had lots of chub over the last few weeks with some clonkers amongst them, but just couldn't be bothered to take any pic's so haven't posted on the thread.
Here's the nice sized one from todays mini trotting session....

Only just clocked this!...well done Richard crackin' chub there bud 🙂👍.

Today I had a couple of hours, spent mostly walking, fighting my way through undergrowth and squatting horseflies. I must have killed about 30 or more of the barstewards and miraculously managed to evade being injected and drained of me blood!
Anyhow, I did manage a few smaller chub, lots of dace and one very decent chub before I got fed up and came home.
I have had lots of chub over the last few weeks with some clonkers amongst them, but just couldn't be bothered to take any pic's so haven't posted on the thread.
Here's the nice sized one from todays mini trotting session....

I can see from the hi s rod handle that’s a very long fish.
What did you estimate for it roughly or did you get a weight? .

I can see from the hi s rod handle that’s a very long fish.
What did you estimate for it roughly or did you get a weight? .

It wasn't a big fish for many rivers, but for this small tributary it was a clonker.
I didn't weigh it, but would guess about 5lb, possibly a little more or maybe less.
If it had been worth weighing then I would of weighed it rather than just make a guesstimate.

My first decent chub. On a day when (after a couple of seasons coarse fishing for anything that moved) I completely changed my approach, to target bigger fish. It's a bit upturned in the photo, but was slightly longer than the net, so about 22"... no idea what weight. Been catching similar fish - and my first barbel - in the same spot for the last three weeks... feels like my fishing has turned a corner.
/

Chub20June.jpg

After a bit of a slow start, my season has settled into a nice groove and I’ve managed to catch (among smaller fish) 9 barbel and 40 chub to date. None of the barbel or chub have been massive, but the sport has been steady and really rewarding. All barbel and chub caught float fishing, with the majority on my 13’ Acolyte Specimen and Triton True-Pin, with a few on the TF Gear TSi float rod and same reel.

It’s been a confidence booster to be honest. On one venue I have had to really think it out and experiment a bit- Wallis cast into a gap between willows, guide the float right along the edge of the cover, hit and hold when the float goes!

It was also great to guest @Chris Jones on a Leeds water and see him catch (we both caught well that day, but you know how it is when you take a friend!)

9 barbel and 40 chub might sound modest to some, but the vast majority of the river angling up here in North Yorkshire seems to be ledgering for barbel with the occasional chub. At the start of the season I was a bit obsessed with the idea of barbel on the float, but I’ve really enjoyed getting among the chub. I’ve discovered that trotting big bunches of maggots under a bolo is the way ahead; you catch all sorts, and maybe a barbel too 😃

A couple of pics (I’ve not taken many as I’ve been wading most of the time!)

IMG_1788.jpeg
IMG_1784.jpeg

After a bit of a slow start, my season has settled into a nice groove and I’ve managed to catch (among smaller fish) 9 barbel and 40 chub to date. None of the barbel or chub have been massive, but the sport has been steady and really rewarding. All barbel and chub caught float fishing, with the majority on my 13’ Acolyte Specimen and Triton True-Pin, with a few on the TF Gear TSi float rod and same reel.

It’s been a confidence booster to be honest. On one venue I have had to really think it out and experiment a bit- Wallis cast into a gap between willows, guide the float right along the edge of the cover, hit and hold when the float goes!

It was also great to guest @Chris Jones on a Leeds water and see him catch (we both caught well that day, but you know how it is when you take a friend!)

9 barbel and 40 chub might sound modest to some, but the vast majority of the river angling up here in North Yorkshire seems to be ledgering for barbel with the occasional chub. At the start of the season I was a bit obsessed with the idea of barbel on the float, but I’ve really enjoyed getting among the chub. I’ve discovered that trotting big bunches of maggots under a bolo is the way ahead; you catch all sorts, and maybe a barbel too 😃

A couple of pics (I’ve not taken many as I’ve been wading most of the time!)

View attachment 31633View attachment 31632
Sounds good. 9 Barbel is a season's total for many on the Wessex rivers now and that's not float fishing either! 👍

My latest from last week.
She broke my float ☹️
IMG_6418.jpeg

Had a huge bream follow it too. Not the intended species but i couldn’t not take a pic of it. Not big by many standards of others im sure but i don’t pick up slabs like this often especially when trotting
IMG_6423.jpeg

The chub sport (actually what im fishing for) hasn’t been easy at all. Just a few average ones having a crack. The barbel came 2nd run through and smashed the place up

Back