• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Cheaper pins

Martin Osmond

Senior Member & Supporter
Evening,

So I bought myself a J W Young Triton to go on my Acolyte for trotting.

Now looking for a couple of cheaper options, one for trotting and one for ledgering but not wanting to spend nearly £500 each on these as they are going to be a bit more abused due to the nature of some of the swims ill be using them in.

Be nice to get them both for around £300 if possible.

Cheers
Martin

While they are quite simplistic things, they do differ depending on what your doing exactly and there’s your own preference on things which quickly comes to light after use particularly on size, design and check position etc.

I would personally wait till the river season opens and get out with the triton. You’ll quickly decide whether you like the design to trott with or whether you would like something bigger, smaller, narrower or wider or with the check lever in a different place. Maybe you decide you want a lighter pin with the back plate cut out or 12 spokes on the spool or solid spool back plate. Each thing makes a change to how the pin fishes for you.

There’s no point throwing another £300 at more of them based on what other people like, your best off working with the one you’ve got first to decide what it is that you like.

Trotting Okuma Sheffield (around £100) second hand. Speedia wide drum or Grice and Young Avon Royale supreme both older reels but good for ledgering.

For a cheap(ish) trotting reel an Okuma Sheffield or Aventa is a good bet. They are free running and robust. I've hard it said that they are too free running but I don't really understand that comment - its what your thumb is for...

They are not things of beauty but they do the job and if you buy second hand and you don't like it you can sell it on and get your money back.

I'd also third what Richard said and second what Alan said. It's so easy to decide what you think you will like by spending hours oogling on the internet, to then completely change your mind within a few sessions on the bank (guilty).

This said, I'll give my two pennies worth anyway. If I had to recommend a cheap one for ledgering, from personal experience I'd be after a tidy old Rapidex. I loved mine and will get another at some point although I gather there a lot of Speedia fans out there. I believe you're in the south east so the rivers aren't too powerful for the best part and the rachet or tensioner is probably not so important? Whilst there'll be a lot of personal preference on both ledgering and trotting I think it matters less when ledgering. You could probably pick up a rapidex for £50 then spend up to £250 on a nice Youngs reel of your choice for trotting.

With an Okuma and Rapidex you could probably get what you're after for more like £150.

If you can find a shop that has loads of centrepins in then going for a look would probably save you money in the long run.

Fred crouch wide drum match aerial for ledgerig
S16V-RE8Ti2vRAbVqq3-BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Can only comment on the ledgering option - if your going to use and abuse then look no further than the good old Rapidex, I’ve been using my two now for nearly 40 years, brilliant reels with a lovely ratchet. You can pick a second hand one up for around £35 - £40 and they’ll never let you down😀 No need to spend big bucks as really not necessary. Another good option (cheap and a great ledgering reel) is the Speedia, and again you can pick one up for around £40. I prefer the narrow drum version, but each to their own.

Can only comment on the ledgering option - if your going to use and abuse then look no further than the good old Rapidex, I’ve been using my two now for nearly 40 years, brilliant reels with a lovely ratchet. You can pick a second hand one up for around £35 - £40 and they’ll never let you down😀 No need to spend big bucks as really not necessary. Another good option (cheap and a great ledgering reel) is the Speedia, and again you can pick one up for around £40. I prefer the narrow drum version, but each to their own.
I’ll second the rapidex, tough as old boots and reliable. The narrow drum isn’t a problem either as it still holds plenty of line.

I'd also third what Richard said and second what Alan said. It's so easy to decide what you think you will like by spending hours oogling on the internet, to then completely change your mind within a few sessions on the bank (guilty).

This said, I'll give my two pennies worth anyway. If I had to recommend a cheap one for ledgering, from personal experience I'd be after a tidy old Rapidex. I loved mine and will get another at some point although I gather there a lot of Speedia fans out there. I believe you're in the south east so the rivers aren't too powerful for the best part and the rachet or tensioner is probably not so important? Whilst there'll be a lot of personal preference on both ledgering and trotting I think it matters less when ledgering. You could probably pick up a rapidex for £50 then spend up to £250 on a nice Youngs reel of your choice for trotting.

With an Okuma and Rapidex you could probably get what you're after for more like £150.

If you can find a shop that has loads of centrepins in then going for a look would probably save you money in the long run.
Also guilty.

For starting out using a Centrepin, it must be a difficult choice as with any reel,complicated by the actual casting, I would say these days that anglers are “brought up” using fixed spools , so a move to a revolving drum reel will be a step change in the craft , whereas when I started , Pins were more the norm .
I am the same now with Poles, could not ever see me using one, but those that do make it look simple .

I have a selection of pins I use for different applications.

For Trotting, I use an Adcock Stanton, not a true pin but as free running as they come and quite light in the hand. A bit blingy being polished aluminium but I can live with that .

Close in Ledgering I use a battered Wide Drum Gypsy D’Or true pin, which must be 50 , maybe 60 plus years old, I have owned it since I was about 12 or 13 years old and I am 71 now. Its been through the ringer a few times, abused, dropped, dunked but always, and I mean always bounces back. Had plenty of doubles on it and its Bullet Proof.Very free running but Its not pretty, but then again neither am I ,and it has done me no harm. I can see it still being rodworthy when I am ashes.
I am not in the school of Anglers who MUST have the latest or named blingy rod/reel/ whatever , they are tools to do a job and not admiration pieces , although my cane does get some funny looks sometimes.

Rolling meat and distance feeder fishing on rivers I use a Ray Walton Pin, again not a true pin ,but lovely reels .

Stillwaters I use either a Wide Drum Speedia , or a Wide Drum Free Spirit Searcher, both true pins, the Searcher is just an Ariel clone really .
I use the Speedia ,again a battered example as most are ,for float fishing , silvers and anything else that comes along and the Searcher for Margin Carp or floating crust.

I have other pins, a Rapidex, which I am not over keen on, as it has a full cage, and the line occasionally gets behind the backplate, or overruns which is a bugger to sort out when trotting with the full cage getting in the way. Having said that it is very free running and I have had a good few Tench using it with no problems. A Mordex, which is a bit agricultural for my taste, and an unnamed one which I know nothing about, again agricultural. All three will be probably moved on at some stage . I also have about a half dozen different Saltwater centrepins,some reel bruisers which I have used at various times just to upset the other boat anglers really , they hate to see somebody using vintage gear catching at least as much or more than they do when they are using the lastes blingy rods and reels .

I do not like caged pins or pins with line guides fitted of any description, although many use them with no problem, I find that cages etc are more of a hindrance than a help and do Wallace casting no favours .

Anybody choosing a pin for ledgering should imo consider where they are intending to fish, margins, both river and still water should cause no problems, but distance fishing with a pin requires some casting competence unless you use a Ray Walton pin or similar .

Thats my three pennorth.

David

I'm considering a first pin and much as I'm tempted to dive straight in and buy something (BJ) around the £250.00 mark, I think I'll buy a budget vintage reel to begin with and see if I actually enjoy using one.

I want it ONLY for trotting, primarily for chub and barbel, using a 14ft Acolyte Plus (I might also buy the Acolyte Specimen 14ft), 99% on the Warwickshire Avon.

Can members please suggest what I should look at and what diameter, if that really matters at this stage. I'm watching these on eBay:

- Rapidex
- Trudex
- Speedia
- Grice & Young Royale Supreme.

Thanks.

PS. A Google search brought me straight to post #18 so I didn't even see the previous 17 posts. The answer to my question is probably there, but I'll leave this unedited anyway.

I'm considering a first pin and much as I'm tempted to dive straight in and buy something (BJ) around the £250.00 mark, I think I'll buy a budget vintage reel to begin with and see if I actually enjoy using one.

I want it ONLY for trotting, primarily for chub and barbel, using a 14ft Acolyte Plus (I might also buy the Acolyte Specimen 14ft), 99% on the Warwickshire Avon.

Can members please suggest what I should look at and what diameter, if that really matters at this stage. I'm watching these on eBay:

- Rapidex
- Trudex
- Speedia
- Grice & Young Royale Supreme.

Thanks.

PS. A Google search brought me straight to post #18 so I didn't even see the previous 17 posts. The answer to my question is probably there, but I'll leave this unedited anyway.
Rapidex is good for still water and Grice is great for ledgering due to their design. So that’s Trudex or speedia narrow drum. I prefer speedia due to the ratchet, but speedia has a very deep spool, which makes the retrieval very slow. You can get a line reducer to make the spool shallower. But the real problem of speedia is most of them are wabbling, seems a design issue or material problem. So be very careful if you want to get a speedia. Trudex is a great reel, in general, it is easier to find a better conditions trudex than speedia. Plus it has a removable line guard, maybe better for new pin user.

Back