• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Making your own bait.

Here's a 100g test mix I've put together. Not rolled any yet as I'm waiting for nearer the season.

View attachment 29495
Pretty simple TBH, nothing too in depth to start with.

As it stands at the moment I'm just trying to not get too involved in buying loads of ingredients, just a fishmeal base mix, then add one or two other things to just "jazz" it up a bit. I've got Liver and Krill extracts to add to a mix as well.

I've been watching lots of YouTube videos about making your own boilies. One guy really explains the process well.
Bases don’t get weighed out. The rest of your ingredients you add in measurements to the egg but the base is the last thing you add and it’s added in increments until you obtain the right texture.
You’ll find you use more than double what you’ve written down there (160g roughly) but it depends on how big your egg is and how much other liquid and powder you add also

I would make some room for 2x tea spoons of egg albumen per large egg. It will allow you to reduce boil times which makes a better bait. You want firm on the outside and paste centre.

I go back further than that , caught carp on cat food , par boiled potatoes etc
Barbel baits back then was sausage meat mixed with breadcrumbs or rusk
Started with Hutchys base mix , mingle fruit , black magic etc which were a pig to roll
Baits that stand out for me are Geoff Kemps , Mainlines Grange CSL , Duncan Kay’s Red Karpi Nutrabaits Big fish mix with a fruit flavour
Premier Baits I caught lots on
Solar Quench and S&O with ester blend 12 meh

I’m retired now and lots of time , but still couldn’t be a@sed to gather all those ingredients together and faff about like that , I used to do it with milk proteins but then maybe 5/6 different ingredients.

An happy medium for me is a ready to roll base mix then I mix 2/3 flavours ( of my choosing ) to make it unique to me
Like I said , only got back into it last year after prompting from Rich , then I had the chance to compare with off the shelf stuff and the difference was clear , but also using bait that was freshly rolled made a difference.

At the end of the day we all do things we are confident in and feel make a difference, but for me I just don’t trust a lot of these bait companies and the latest tactic of bringing out old flavours out just reinforces that view .
Solar Quench?! That brings back memories!

Solar S&O was one of the best flavours going. It had a high PH so was very different to most other flavours.
I think a key ingredient is now unavailable so although many companies still sell a S&O flavour they won't be exactly the same as the OG Solar one.

One of my favourite pop up mixes for carp was S&O with ester cream 50:50 ratio with butryic acid. Smelt awful but the carp loved it.

The base mix kindly posted by someone a few posts back looks really good

Solar S&O was one of the best flavours going. It had a high PH so was very different to most other flavours.
I think a key ingredient is now unavailable so although many companies still sell a S&O flavour they won't be exactly the same as the OG Solar one.

One of my favourite pop up mixes for carp was S&O with ester cream 50:50 ratio with butryic acid. Smelt awful but the carp loved it.

The base mix kindly posted by someone a few posts back looks really good
Oh it is good mate, did me well that did. Also have plenty more in my little book and files saved to my phone.
Liver boilies, milk protein boilies, spicy boilies but the garlic fishmeals always been my favourite. I just love garlic, even on my own food 😂

First batch hot out off the pan. Ever so slightly sticky, so a bit more dry ingredients required, but not much. Now drying out in the garage.

IMG_0957.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

Second batch. This time rolled on a mates Gardner rolling table. Worked the mixture a bit too much, started off nice and round but ended up with barrels and a drier mix in the end. Not bad though, and good enough to use.

Made the sausages as we went along, rather than all in one go. Think we just dried the mixture out with the warmth from our hands so the last few rolls weren't perfect. You live and learn.

View attachment 29554

Second batch. This time rolled on a mates Gardner rolling table. Worked the mixture a bit too much, started off nice and round but ended up with barrels and a drier mix in the end. Not bad though, and good enough to use.

Made the sausages as we went along, rather than all in one go. Think we just dried the mixture out with the warmth from our hands so the last few rolls weren't perfect. You live and learn.
You would get the perfect consistency every time if you did 1 egg mixes and added the base mix to your wet ingredients last.
You don’t measure the base mix out you just add it till the consistency is spot on. Then it’s ready to roll.

Richard, I'm just winging it at the moment. I've made 2 x 100g batches of boilies, giving me about 80 baits, enough for one or two sessions on the upper Trent. As I only bought a small amount of ingredients to start with, I don't have the luxury of making up a larger amount of my dry ingredients to add to the liquid as you tell me to. I could end up with mixed dry ingredients that are left over that I may never need again because I've moved on to a different mix.

I've watched plenty of videos of bait makers adding base mix to the liquid to form the correct consistency of paste, but to a person, they all have an ad infinitum amount of their dry ingredients available to them - I don't.

I'd hoped to play around with dry mixes and flavours until I find one I'm happy with and then I could buy and mix a larger amount of the dry ingredients together to form a "base" mix I'll use in the future. Then I will do as you tell me and add the base mix to the liquid. But at the moment, I'm just finding it interesting mucking around with it all.

Richard, I'm just winging it at the moment. I've made 2 x 100g batches of boilies, giving me about 80 baits, enough for one or two sessions on the upper Trent. As I only bought a small amount of ingredients to start with, I don't have the luxury of making up a larger amount of my dry ingredients to add to the liquid as you tell me to. I could end up with mixed dry ingredients that are left over that I may never need again because I've moved on to a different mix.

I've watched plenty of videos of bait makers adding base mix to the liquid to form the correct consistency of paste, but to a person, they all have an ad infinitum amount of their dry ingredients available to them - I don't.

I'd hoped to play around with dry mixes and flavours until I find one I'm happy with and then I could buy and mix a larger amount of the dry ingredients together to form a "base" mix I'll use in the future. Then I will do as you tell me and add the base mix to the liquid. But at the moment, I'm just finding it interesting mucking around with it all.
Fair enough.
Let’s hope you find one 👍🏻

View attachment 29554

Touch of veg oil helps 😊

I laughed at the reference to garlic essential oil earlier - particularly effective if you want to get divorced....

Bloody good ingredient though. Annoyingly I have misplaced all my old recipes but one drop of the garlic oil to a 10oz mix (other flavours, etc used too) was perfect.
This is a sure fire way of raising hell with the missus! And I bet most of you know what this equates too! 🤣🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418_174914.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_174914.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 56
Trouble is, I have to do things right, I can't just roll a few sausages out and cut them up on the worktop, I'll end up getting the whole kit, I know I will, I always do.

LOL. Told you.

IMG_0970.JPG
IMG_0971.JPG

Although in my defence my Carp fishing mate has gone in with it as well, so not all my own doing,...........Honest.

Back