• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Its four in the morning..

Neil Smart

Wasn't that a Beatles line? Anyway, finding it difficult to sleep with the dawn chorus full of chirpy neighbours, one of the delights in living so close to fields and woodland.
Not complaining really, but with time on my hands I look at the BFW site, and yep, just like every new dawn, there is another new thread on what, rod rest, bait screw, hair rig, mono, braid , chair, bivvy, quiver, heavy water rod, whatever that is? Just about every item of tackle known, and some not even discovered, is pondered over and agonised over ...it really is quite an effort for some I imagine to actually take the plunge, and go by their own instincts and just do it...GO FISHING!
Well there's another famous line, no not braid, mono, or flouro , a series on t.v not 100 inch laser back then, just good old telly, where the late great John Wilson in the 80s and 90s inspired us all to do just that.
He didn't agonise over what gear, he just got on with it .

I do believe the carp scene has confused us with a whole array of problems they have created in what is just catching fish, and forever happily present us with another new and expensive solution, be it bait, bivvy, or another range of rods and reels that you must have three of each of course, to stay current, and not look like a total blanker.

Crazy innit, utter madness.

Leonard Cohen, isn’t it?

God rest his soul.

To quote another great though…

‘Evolution not revolution. Well, whatever. Because that is me. I evolve, but I don't.... revolve. Or vice-versa’.

Alan Partridge

Yes as soon as I posted I realised it wasn't the Beatles but it was 4am. But I guess instead of writing that, I could / should have gone fishing.

It's been a Hard Days Night.😩

The comment I only buy 4 Harrison rods at time made me feel completely and utter irrelevant on here, just couldn't sleep. :(
Sorry chaps, as you were, going to put the dogs out, make us a cuppa, and take my meds, I am sure I will get over this, with a little help from my friends x.
If it makes you feel any better Neil he did say that he choses to pay RRP on those 4 at a time so not to look favorable to Harrison for designing some of the blanks for them. 🤦‍♂️

Neil,

A country and western song by Faron Young. It reached no 3 in the UK in 1971. Showing my age again!!

Dave

Well of course I have to now..
You don't have to Neil ... What you need is an Orgone Accumulator [ you can buy a book on E bay, which tells you how to build one to the original Wilhem Reich spec ] '' It's a back brain stimulator , a cerebral vibrator '' Use one and you will never worry about which landing net pole to use again . The lyric is from the song Orgone accumulator by the mighty Hawkwind

Last edited:
You don't have to Neil ... What you need is an Orgone Accumulator [ you can buy a book on E bay, which tells you how to build one to the original Wilhem Reich spec ] '' It's a back brain stimulator , a cerebral vibrator '' Use one and you will never worry about which landing net pole to use again . The lyric is from the song Orgone accumulator by the mighty Hawkwind
All 10 mins. of it,played regularly in my car,even though I’m a great grandfather.Though the grandkids ask to hear Silver Machine while sucking on one of grandads ‘driving mints’.😄

Back to the op,it’s so easy now for people just to ask on social media,rather than go out and see for themselves.
”How’s it fishing?what bait is best?what size are the fish? etc.
I like to help people,especially on the water that I bailiff. I don’t know how us older generation managed when we just turned up and fished.
But I do know that it was the best way to learn about a water,and become more skilled,or in my case pretty average.

What annoys me about the tackle trade and they are all gulty of it is they bring out an excellent item of tackle and we could all name some of the classic rods, reels, bags etc etc. A good example is the original Shimano baitrunners which were well engineered, solid workhorses. Then after a couple of years they are superceded by supposedly upgraded replacement models which are frequently made in the middle east which are nothing like the quality of the original models just cheap quality. So then when you try to purchase a secondhand original the price has soared out of all proportion. Moan over.

Back to the op,it’s so easy now for people just to ask on social media,rather than go out and see for themselves.
”How’s it fishing?what bait is best?what size are the fish? etc.
I like to help people,especially on the water that I bailiff. I don’t know how us older generation managed when we just turned up and fished.
But I do know that it was the best way to learn about a water,and become more skilled,or in my case pretty average.
There’s two sides to that one though, for every angler like you that will help and those tid bits were invaluable for me, there’s a dozen who won’t and one that will be downright rude. We all have to learn and earn our fish but a newcomer who’s sitting there blank after blank, is going to quit.

Im not on the Facebook groups etc so I guess I’m insulated from the worst of it but giving a nugget that catches someone there first fish is golden and it can spark a lifes obsession. I realise though, some people are just lazy and want you to do it for them.

What makes me seethe (slightly : y'know, to the extent that you think "FFS, another lazy ba$tard!") is how often the first post made by someone new to a Facebook river forum is "Where can I buy a day ticket to fish and park next to my swim? TIA". And these are guys in their 20's/30's!
Guess they're also hoping for a burger van nearby.

Wasn't that a Beatles line? Anyway, finding it difficult to sleep with the dawn chorus full of chirpy neighbours, one of the delights in living so close to fields and woodland.
Not complaining really, but with time on my hands I look at the BFW site, and yep, just like every new dawn, there is another new thread on what, rod rest, bait screw, hair rig, mono, braid , chair, bivvy, quiver, heavy water rod, whatever that is? Just about every item of tackle known, and some not even discovered, is pondered over and agonised over ...it really is quite an effort for some I imagine to actually take the plunge, and go by their own instincts and just do it...GO FISHING!
Well there's another famous line, no not braid, mono, or flouro , a series on t.v not 100 inch laser back then, just good old telly, where the late great John Wilson in the 80s and 90s inspired us all to do just that.
He didn't agonise over what gear, he just got on with it .

I do believe the carp scene has confused us with a whole array of problems they have created in what is just catching fish, and forever happily present us with another new and expensive solution, be it bait, bivvy, or another range of rods and reels that you must have three of each of course, to stay current, and not look like a total blanker.

Crazy innit, utter madness.
The irony of you reading through old BFW posts about repetition and then telling people to get out fishing 🤦‍♂️.

What annoys me about the tackle trade and they are all gulty of it is they bring out an excellent item of tackle and we could all name some of the classic rods, reels, bags etc etc. A good example is the original Shimano baitrunners which were well engineered, solid workhorses. Then after a couple of years they are superceded by supposedly upgraded replacement models which are frequently made in the middle east which are nothing like the quality of the original models just cheap quality. So then when you try to purchase a secondhand original the price has soared out of all proportion. Moan over.
Definitely agree with that. Fox are notorious for that practice. Many of my reels are 2nd hand good conditioned classics. I generally buy rods new. Last purchase was a 2nd hand pair of Terry Eustace big tench👌

I agree with this in a lot of instances but the modern Baitrunner is now head and shoulders above the older jap versions on performance and equally as capable of going the distance.
I wouldn’t swap my D’s or OC’s for any of the older versions ever.
Alot of things however have gone down hill. Korum luggage, Fox and shimano rods etc. thank god we’ve still got Daiwa. They can still build a cracking rod n reel.

Back