• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Can we fish during this next lockfown?

Richard Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
Ok. So we're locked down again in England. As I heard it, we are still allowed out for exercise so does this mean I can go fishing this time around as long as I'm on my own as is normal for me? Has anyone delved deeper into the small print?

The Angling Trust lobbied Government on our behalf, it was a convincing argument but then again I'm biased. They haven't updated yet.

I very much doubt it ... saying it’s exercise is stronging it to say the least... if only ..I would be out every day

the angling trust couldn’t organise a bunk up in a brothel.... imo

Obviously we will have to await clarification however this lock down would appear, at least, to still encourage many sectors to go to work and schools etc are still open. It doesn’t appear to be quite as tight as the first back in March, in that sense I think it’s likely that we will be granted permission to carry on but you won’t be able to meet up with people from other households and fish together.
My customer base at large, will be closed so I don’t think il have much work, furlough has been extended so potentially go back on that😣 wait and see I guess but it’s worrying times for jobs.

ANGLING TRUST ...
LOCKDOWN UPDATE - The Angling Trust is pleased that the government has recognised the value of allowing angling and other forms of outdoor recreation to continue - with members of your own household or with one other individual - through next month’s lockdown. It seems that tackle shops will still be able to operate a ‘click and collect’ service. So we are still fishing.
Whilst we need to see the precise details in the regulations laid before Parliament on Monday it is likely there will be impacts on certain areas of our sport and we will update everybody just as soon as we are able to do so. Thanks for your patience

I very much doubt it ... saying it’s exercise is stronging it to say the least... if only ..I would be out every day

So who else is going to fight our corner? I wrote to my MP on the matter in March, apart from acknowledgement that she had received my email I never did get a response.

According to the latest Angling Trust announcement things are looking promising for angling to continue with the finer details to be announced on Monday.

I think your opinion is incorrect. They did a good job to get us out fishing following the previous lockdown. New leadership seems to have changed them and let's hope that continues.
Going by your comment I doubt you are a member so how can you publicly criticise an organisation you have the ability to support but choose not to?

I'm not happy about it - my half season ticket arrives and starts on Monday, but I don't see how fishing fits in with stay any home unless you have a specific reason to leave. It was two months after the first lockdown started that we were allowed to go again as part of a gradual return to something like normal, I cant see the government wanting to make any special allowances for anything other than essential stuff this time round. It is only a month after all, I'd imagine they think we can do without it for that long.

Last edited:
The Angling Trust Facebook page:

LOCKDOWN UPDATE - The Angling Trust is pleased that the government has recognised the value of allowing angling and other forms of outdoor recreation to continue - with members of your own household or with one other individual - through next month’s lockdown. It seems that tackle shops will still be able to operate a ‘click and collect’ service. So we are still fishing.

Whilst we need to see the precise details in the regulations laid before Parliament on Monday it is likely there will be impacts on certain areas of our sport and we will update everybody just as soon as we are able to do so. Thanks for your patience

I think your opinion is incorrect. They did a good job to get us out fishing following the previous lockdown. New leadership seems to have changed them and let's hope that continues.
Going by your comment I doubt you are a member so how can you publicly criticise an organisation you have the ability to support but choose not to?
It was the government easing restrictions that angling was allowed in the dying stages of the last lockdown.. typical of the angling trust to take the glory for it... same old story with the AT ... shut the gate after the horse has bolted

you don’t have to be a member of something to criticise it..... I’m not a member of lots of things that I criticise .... just like the rest of us

Like it or not, the Angling Trust is the only organisation that represents us to government. I personally think they do a good job although I have criticised them in the past. Even if you don't always agree with them I think it is every angler's duty to support the one body that tries it's best to look after us and the environment.

Maybe worthy of another thread for this!

Back on topic ..if the government did say you can go..it’s then up to the controlling clubs and syndicates to allow people on to they,re waters ....and if they let you on ...good luck finding a swim .....

Hi men ,

There could be a sting in the tail . There could be restrictions on overnight stays , is camping , which effects some of us . Also there could be guidance on travel for leisure activities , we will see over the coming days

Hatter

Hi men ,

There could be a sting in the tail . There could be restrictions on overnight stays , is camping , which effects some of us . Also there could be guidance on travel for leisure activities , we will see over the coming days

Hatter
More likely we will speculate and the media will whip us all up. Then we will be back to people saying shouldn’t leave your house and they’re confused by bar graphs.

Hi men ,

As I said , there are quotes here about non essential travel , staying away etc , devil in the detail .

Hatter

Back