• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Can we fish during this next lockfown?

Hi men ,

Iv found my own piece of heaven , it's 600 miles from my door 😲😲 , I think it's out of the guidelines 😃.

I'm meant to be driving France on Friday , a trip postponed twice now , and a third trip in June that iv postponed for a year . It's been a year nobody will forget .

Hatter

Sorry to burst your bubble Mark. But France is in lockdown and fishing is not allowed on the public waters. If you can find somewhere where you can stay and fish on site in a private lake you might just get away with it. But justifying the trip and the travelling might be difficult. We need a new piece of paper every day to justify walking the dog!

If / when you do get over here drop me a PM and I'll meet up and give you a tour of the local carp hotspots.

Hi men ,

Cheers Clive , I cancelled a few weeks ago , but it still hurts 😕 . France is such a vast country , I bloody live it as it's fishing as I sort of knew it , it help that you can move when you know that moving is the answer . I will take you up on that fella 😉 , next trip is planned for April , but I might crack before then 😲

Hatter

Hi men ,

And iv got a June trip to the coast of Normandy , with the grandkids , funny how a virus stops the world turning after the threat of wars and crap eh ? .

Hatter

Excellent work and result by the AT for their lobbying of the Dept for DCMS highlighting the angling case and particularly setting out their interpretation of the nuances.

It seems to me that those who have reservations about fishing at this time, that's fine, it's not compulsory.

Also for those who love specifics within the written word, read this carefully!

"How to Fish
The regulations are clear and you can only leave home to fish with members of your own household, your support bubble or with one other individual."

So it seems I can't leave home to fish alone? My wife needs to come with me or I need to persuade my very elderly and infirm neighbour she needs the exercise. Or I find a Joe Blogs to accompany me?

Thanks for your comments. I realised that Wallis casting is like learning to drive a car; you have so many new things going on at the same time and it all seems so complicated. Then, a few months down the line you are doing a lot of the things automatically without any thought. So breaking down the different functions and then building up by adding one at a time seemed like a good idea. The keys to success are having balanced rod, reel and weight, and a reel with a friction brake to learn with.

You only need about 20 to 25 yards maximum to cast. A tennis court or car park would do just to get the basics sorted.

Richard; don't envy the garden until you realise how much work the damned thing takes.

I think that might be the clearest and best Wallis casting demo I have seen, so thanks Clive. Whether it works to me remains to be seen though - I'm hopeless at it!

Ps - lovely to hear the cacophony of bird song in your garden. Was that the chupping of flock of tree sparrows I could hear?

Richard; don't envy the garden until you realise how much work the damned thing takes.

I know Clive... I used to live in a house surrounded by a simply enormous garden, much of it grass, and no money to buy a ride on mower or pay somebody else to cut it. I absolutely do not miss pushing the mower over it for what often felt like a lifetime. I threatened to replace it with astroturf a few times!

Back