• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New Baitrunners

Orrrrrrr...... why not give what you have a fresh life. 5010’s are a great reel and will keep up with the modern stuff.
The clutches can be a bit hit and miss but it’s nothing a bit of preventative maintenance can’t sort out and get them singing like a canary.
a good strip, clean and full lubrication service and they could be like brand new reels again.
Have to agree with the old reel theory,only use 3500b's,I don't cast to the horizon so the line lay criticism is not a problem,great clutch,bomb proof reel.

Have to agree with the old reel theory,only use 3500b's,I don't cast to the horizon so the line lay criticism is not a problem,great clutch,bomb proof reel.
They are a cracking reel. The line lay never bothered me either to be honest it just looked a bit of an eye sore but functionally there was no issue. I had a pair of them. Proper rough battered things I’d bought cheap on gumtree but they worked perfectly. I sold them for the same money as they were just too heavy for the smaller rods I enjoy most of my fishing with.
If the line was strong enough I reckon the old B’s could crank trees out the floor 🤣

I had a new 4000D and had trouble with the bail arm as soon as I started using it, kept closing during casting. HoweverI also have a 6000D which is great. Another baitrunner I have which I rate very highly is the Daiwa Emblem BR25, worth a look if you are after a new reel.

I had a new 4000D and had trouble with the bail arm as soon as I started using it, kept closing during casting. HoweverI also have a 6000D which is great. Another baitrunner I have which I rate very highly is the Daiwa Emblem BR25, worth a look if you are after a new reel.
Hi Steven ... thanks for that. The Daiwa isn't a baitrunner is it?

I have a pair of Thunnus 4000 ci4. Cant fault them. Shimano 5000 XTEA's are still about used, often in great condition, and probably 15 years younger than a 5010/5000 GT/GTE... Is there anything in the Penn stable suitable for a barbel anglers needs?

Oh, I thought that stood for Big Reel 😂 😂😂
Was actually looking, mistakenly, at the 'Longcast' version. They, the BR25A, look good (inc. sturdy bail arm). Hmmmm. Anyone else on here use them (but if they're good enough for @Steven Hodges they've gotta be good 👍

Terry, can't comment on the model recommended, but I've got a pair of Daiwa Black Widow BR3500 A and had my first half decent fish using them last week, 9lb Wharfe barbel. They were excellent, clutch smooth, baitrunner smooth. Not what you're after (they're a budget reel really) but a general thumbs up for the Daiwa reels 👍

Hi Dave,
As per the picture put up by Dave Brooksbank it’s the Shimano Oceanic range which are available in 4000, 6000 and 8000 sizes. The OC follows the size reference. If you search Shimano 4000 OC or Shimano 4000 Oceanic for example you’ll get more detail.
Regards
Bill
Cheers Bill

Ok, so I'd got it down to a pair of Shimmy 6000D, an OC, or X-Aero, or Daiwa BR25A ... but now I've just come across the Shimmy XT-B LC (Medium) Not easy without trying them all out is it.

I know the OCs & Ds get a lot of plaudits on here. I’ve never used ‘em, so can’t comment. I’ve used X Aeros for the last couple of years and they’re cracking reels. And the styling is nice, not as important granted, but they really do look the biz.

Back