• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Take a friend fishing!!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2708
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2708

My fishing buddy Alistair was intrigued by my recent carp captures on the Lot. So I invited him to join me this morning - did I make a mistake?

This last year I have given him tackle for the bigger fish and put new line on the reel. It was hardly used but he bought some cheap gear from Decathlon and caught some barbel.

Finally he twigged there is a really good chance of big fish here and bought some boilies, YouTubed hair rigs etc and joined me for the carp session.

Within 5 minutes he hooked into this carp. The carp took about 150 yds in one rush as his drag was set too light. Then I asked him what breaking strain his hair rig was on.......10lbs bs he replied! OH DEAR!!!

Carp Alistair playing.jpg

So I stood next to him an advised him to keep steady resistance but not bully the fish. By this time though the carp had reached the nearside weed bed about 80 yds away. Anyway, light but firm pressure and the line slowly sawed its way through and the carp went into clear water. After a few more powerful but shorter runs it dashed back to our side and around a tree stump.

By some miracle it came back out and there was weed over the carps eyes. A few more lunges but it was ready for the net, wet feet for me again.

Carp 34lb Alistair.jpg

Weighed in at 34 lbs, a bruiser of a fully scaled river carp!

Carp Alistair.jpg

A little bit of skill, but a hell of a lot more luck! Still, well done Alistair - always fun to fish with you!

My fishing buddy Alistair was intrigued by my recent carp captures on the Lot. So I invited him to join me this morning - did I make a mistake?

This last year I have given him tackle for the bigger fish and put new line on the reel. It was hardly used but he bought some cheap gear from Decathlon and caught some barbel.

Finally he twigged there is a really good chance of big fish here and bought some boilies, YouTubed hair rigs etc and joined me for the carp session.

Within 5 minutes he hooked into this carp. The carp took about 150 yds in one rush as his drag was set too light. Then I asked him what breaking strain his hair rig was on.......10lbs bs he replied! OH DEAR!!!

View attachment 12232

So I stood next to him an advised him to keep steady resistance but not bully the fish. By this time though the carp had reached the nearside weed bed about 80 yds away. Anyway, light but firm pressure and the line slowly sawed its way through and the carp went into clear water. After a few more powerful but shorter runs it dashed back to our side and around a tree stump.

By some miracle it came back out and there was weed over the carps eyes. A few more lunges but it was ready for the net, wet feet for me again.

View attachment 12233

View attachment 12234

A little bit of skill, but a hell of a lot more luck! Still, well done Alistair - always fun to fish with you!
Brilliant well done both of you....what a stunning fish 👍👍👍
Hi Jon, can I be your next good friend please ?
Please Sir, please Sir...me,me,me 🤣

View attachment 12232

View attachment 12233

View attachment 12234

Great stuff Steve.

Quite chunky / rotund those commons aren't they? Lovely looking carp, but very different in shape to the 'river' carp you see in the UK.

Any ideas why?

Would I be right in assuming they don't see a lot of bait?

Great stuff Steve.

Quite chunky / rotund those commons aren't they? Lovely looking carp, but very different in shape to the 'river' carp you see in the UK.

Any ideas why?

Would I be right in assuming they don't see a lot of bait?

I have been feeding a few boilies in this stretch for a few months. Not vast quantities, but enough for them to get a taste!

I have not seen another angler here, but the local fishing association recognises there are carp in this approximate 7 miles of river (between weirs). I have barely started this piece of the river yet, so far so very good!

Finding access points is difficult, got lucky with this one. I doubt many fish here have ever seen a fishermans bait - let alone felt the sting of a hook! ;)

Back