• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ā€˜Registerā€™ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Digital Scales

Pl
Hi Ady, I think you may be referring (at least partly) to my Severn post 22/7/20 where I took a couple of shots of barbel caught that day, of unknown weight due to scales' batteries being flat. Those batteries had been in those scales for at least 5 years, the scales had been on hundreds of fishing sessions, and around the world at least 10 times. Ok, so I've no idea what those fish weighed ... but I can't blame the scales. The scales weigh** to the nearest 0.1lb (i.e. 1.6oz) which is good enough for me.
** when they've got 'live' batteries in, that is. Silly old fool šŸ˜‚
ā˜ŗļøšŸ‘šŸ‘

Sorry Ady but I cannot find any of those cases to be the fault of electronics.
they can all go wrong at inconvenient times. It happened to me on my first fish this season with My trusty Old school Avonā€™s Under reading.
batteries running out...... well yeah could happen in your head torch too just change or charge them.
River Severn report I take it your referring to a 10lb claimed chub? Is that Really the scales telling porkies?
now in reality digitals are more accurate. And have more benefits. They donā€™t bounce for a start. They find your settled weight then hold it.
they also give you an instant Numerical weight in a second. You ainā€™t counting Lines and waiting for the needle to settle there for your fish isnā€™t waiting long either.
donā€™t get me wrong I love the dial type scales too but I canā€™t find a single fault with digitals either.
I think he is referring to a post I made about my fox scales. After about 2 years of use they started weighing erratic weights even with new batteries. I emailed fox and they said they need to be recalibrated every 2 years and to send them off to them with a cheque for Ā£35. I never bothered in the end. Donā€™t even know what I did with them

has any one used the korum digital scales any thoughts
I have korum digitals. Had them for about a year. I've tested them every couple of months and they are very accurate. I carry spare batteries and a backup set of Avons. I have read some bad reviews but mine have been great so far. My close eyesight is poor so the big bright display is just what I need. I can't read Avons without my glasses!
It would be a nightmare for me not to be able to weigh a big fish accurately.

The rainy night some years ago when I couldn't read my avons, with reflections from my headtorch making it worse, was the night I decided to go digital. I bought RH9000s

Always carry spare batteries. BUT last close season I noticed some corrosion on one of the battery contacts. Used to re-working printed circuit boards, I tried to repair but have to say the printed board material was way poorer than I'd have expected. Ended up binning them BUT bought a replacement set of the same straight away.

Sorry Ady but I cannot find any of those cases to be the fault of electronics.
they can all go wrong at inconvenient times. It happened to me on my first fish this season with My trusty Old school Avonā€™s Under reading.
batteries running out...... well yeah could happen in your head torch too just change or charge them.
River Severn report I take it your referring to a 10lb claimed chub? Is that Really the scales telling porkies?
now in reality digitals are more accurate. And have more benefits. They donā€™t bounce for a start. They find your settled weight then hold it.
they also give you an instant Numerical weight in a second. You ainā€™t counting Lines and waiting for the needle to settle there for your fish isnā€™t waiting long either.
donā€™t get me wrong I love the dial type scales too but I canā€™t find a single fault with digitals either.
Richard I've just re-read your stated advantages of digital scales. There are I agree advantages of reading the weight say in the dark. Also dial scales line/needle may be subjective to some. However, I have doubts about digitals removing 'bounce error'. Bounce error is caused by incorrect technique used when weighing a fish . This is normally caused by fish movement, angler movement (insufficient bracing), or wave movement as experienced on a boat. The latter reason is why bodies such as the IGFA will automatically reject a claim for fished weighed on a boat. Also the scales should be steady at 180 degrees for a straight compression (pull) down. In the past, there were many DVD's made by the 'experts' weighing fish using incorrect technique. The videos were supposed to be partially educational for the more inexperienced anglers in weighing technique. I could go on boring everyone. But I genuinally believe that an article in weighing technique would benefit all anglers (a refresher course if you will). I am not suggesting at all that there anglers on here that are mis-weighing their fish, just overestimating the alleged benefits of digital scales over dial scales. Dial scales for me; as they've stood the test of time despite their alleged drawbacks.

Last edited:
Ady there is nothing wrong with dial scales Iā€™ve Personally lived with a set all my fishing life up until now.
call it incorrect technique if you like but the needle on my Avonā€™s would certainly fluctuate sometimes for a good while before settling on a value. Not usually caused by fish moving in my experience but more caused by me holding a weight out at arms length and trying to count lines was causing it. It doesnā€™t happen with the digital set.
I would argue that the inexperienced should be using digitals not dials.
im not Really thinking about a perfect posture when weighing a catch and Iā€™d imagine most people donā€™t. Itā€™s really not that important to me. I know how to hold a set of scales vertically and take a reading. Thatā€™s all I want to know to be fair as itā€™s far more important to me to get her back in the water quickly.

The rainy night some years ago when I couldn't read my avons, with reflections from my headtorch making it worse, was the night I decided to go digital. I bought RH9000s

Always carry spare batteries. BUT last close season I noticed some corrosion on one of the battery contacts. Used to re-working printed circuit boards, I tried to repair but have to say the printed board material was way poorer than I'd have expected. Ended up binning them BUT bought a replacement set of the same straight away.
I bought the same ones.
I think they are a really nice Set.

People claiming False weights has never really bothered me at all. Iā€™m just not that interested in interfering with what people do. They can claim what they like for all I care.

alot of people can point at a photo of a man behind a fish and say itā€™s not what itā€™s claimed but if you donā€™t know how big the guy actually is you have no reference of scale and there for (unless completely obvious) no reason to call him a liar.
im a great big lump of a bloke standing at 6ft 3ā€ and 16 stone. My fingers are like pigs tits I do my best to tuck them away when holding a fish for a photo. A 10lb fish in my hands looks a very different weight to a 10lb fish in the hands of a jockey.
im always honest mind and do my best to get the right recording on the day. I donā€™t weigh everything and I donā€™t share everything I weigh but thatā€™s all that matters and whether others adopt the same attitude is up to them.
Iā€™d never call anyone out on there weights based on a Holding fish photo (unless it was completely obvious) some people can just make them look enormous and others make them look smaller.

I bought RH9000s at the peak of the slatings they got on here. I'm glad I ignored the naysayers. They've been so good that I've gone on to buy a second set for another fishing bag. The prospect of going back to Flyweights, which I found to be utter junk, does not appeal at all. I'm also not keen on the thought of lugging quality dial scales around either. Even if they turn out to be less than accurate enough, which they haven't yet, I don't care. I weigh fish for my own satisfaction. I'm not in competition with anyone else, don't publicise my catches and won't be claiming any records. The RH9000s are small and easily accurate enough. That'll do for me.

Got and tried most of them
RH Specimens are great but too big to cart around, Fox digital I inherited but from sounds of it I'll leave them in the Garage.
Thought I had cracked it with Electro Samson digitals but they got wet and that was it. Most disappointing part was a complete lack of response from the manufacturer.
Then got some flyweights which I just don't trust. I can zero them with a wet sling, pull down to see if it re-zeros and they can be up or down 4-5oz
Strip them down , keep them clean but I think they're just not well made
I've gone back to 25 year old Avons which I only stopped using because the screen had gotten so scratched. Some time spent with T-Cut and a soft cloth and they are good to go, might be a bit of a challenge in the dark as my eyes ain't great, but testing at home with potato weights they are very accurate and consistent.
I've found decent spring balances are also very reliable for a quick weight, but obviously lack finesse for special fish.
Always interested in improvements though.

People claiming False weights has never really bothered me at all. Iā€™m just not that interested in interfering with what people do. They can claim what they like for all I care.

alot of people can point at a photo of a man behind a fish and say itā€™s not what itā€™s claimed but if you donā€™t know how big the guy actually is you have no reference of scale and there for (unless completely obvious) no reason to call him a liar.
im a great big lump of a bloke standing at 6ft 3ā€ and 16 stone. My fingers are like pigs tits I do my best to tuck them away when holding a fish for a photo. A 10lb fish in my hands looks a very different weight to a 10lb fish in the hands of a jockey.
im always honest mind and do my best to get the right recording on the day. I donā€™t weigh everything and I donā€™t share everything I weigh but thatā€™s all that matters and whether others adopt the same attitude is up to them.
Iā€™d never call anyone out on there weights based on a Holding fish photo (unless it was completely obvious) some people can just make them look enormous and others make them look smaller.

I got absolute pelters on a Facebook forum for posting a picture and the weight of a 15lb 3oz bream. I weighted it on some Korum digital scales that I'd just bought for the very reason that I knew there as a chance I'd catch something that big, I hoped bigger, and I also weighed it using some Flyweights. It was in the net so I can understand why people might be a bit sceptical but the amount of stick I got was way over the top.

Not that I'm bitter about it or anything but I'll not be posting pics with weights anytime soon on there.

I got absolute pelters on a Facebook forum for posting a picture and the weight of a 15lb 3oz bream. I weighted it on some Korum digital scales that I'd just bought for the very reason that I knew there as a chance I'd catch something that big, I hoped bigger, and I also weighed it using some Flyweights. It was in the net so I can understand why people might be a bit sceptical but the amount of stick I got was way over the top.

Not that I'm bitter about it or anything but I'll not be posting pics with weights anytime soon on there.
Dave,
Thatā€™s one of the reasons I donā€™t do FB...itā€™s poison.... weā€™ll slag you off it a much more gentlemanly fashion šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

TBH

Unless its a potential record fish or a new PB does it really matter if its a 12lb or a 12lb 5 ozs ??? šŸ¤” šŸ˜‚

Not really, I was pointing out that it was carefully weighed as close to being accurate to the ounce as I could. It was on a thread comparing the biggest bream you'd caught.

It was a personal best, though.

Back