• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling camaraderie

Well the muppet who left there leads at home was me I did this on the ribble yesterday long and short of what happened i had my request to borrow 2 leads i told him I would return them to him but was turned down
After packing up to go home i done some Internet searching and found angling direct in Preston was open so after a quick call the chap called josh in the store agreed to let me purchase some leads and feeders via a phone call payment with a bank card my wife paid and I collected some 20 min later 10 min before they shut big thanks to josh for helping me out
Yes I know I should have spare leads and I should double check everything but it does happen
I have always lived to help where I can especially fishing growing up we always leant each other bits of tackle friends and strangers of course I'm not giving rods out to people I don't know but it the past I've given to total strangers bait hooks weights rod rests alsort of tackle because I had it spare and they needed it
I know the chap had every right to deny my request but belive it or not I felt hurt when I shouldn't have he didnot know me but I would never have done that to someone that's why I asked the question what would you have done it will not put me off lending people tackle to fish with but what it did do was make me realise there are anglers out there who will not help anyone I have never seen or experiencedo this before or thought I would
Just for the record I didn't ask to keep them in told the chap my dilemma my leads are 50 miles away and I would return them to him even by post I'm not a bumper just got caught out

The thing is he was totally with in his right to say no it was the way he went about it which got to me I know he didn't know me from Adam but if he didn't want to part with them be polite with an excuse not the way he was but karma will come his way I do belive in that

It's easy to forget things, back in the distant past (when I was 14) me and my mate got up at 4:30 to go and fish an estuary about 4 miles away, we were walking there and was hoping to get there for about 5:15 all being well. We did get there at about 5:15 for a 6:30 high tide and when I got our gear out to set up (I was supplying all the gear), I realised I had left my reels sat on the dressing table in my bedroom. Suffice to say I was not the most popular person that day, especially as the majority of the return trip was uphill.

I now carry way too much stuff with me on the grounds of I may need it (frequently don't) but I would help someone out if it was in my power to do so, as it would have been great if someone had been at the estuary and lent us a reel back in the day.

I would have given him a lead I like to help people out especially the youngsters
I was fishing the Lea last Sunday evening I was playing a small barbel I then noticed two people behind me watching me play it.... It was a dad With he’s young lad about 12 they had just joined the club and had come for a look around neither of them had ever caught a barbel before after that chat they walked to the top of the fishery..
On their way back just as they were passing me my tip wrapped around again so they once again stopped ... I got the fish out of the snaggy area I then asked the young lad if he would like to takeover... he didn’t need asking twice so I handed him the rod and he landed a barbel of about 5lb ...
His face was an absolute picture... I got more enjoyment watching that lad catch that fish than catching the 5 barbel I caught that evening

Well the muppet who left there leads at home was me I did this on the ribble yesterday long and short of what happened i had my request to borrow 2 leads i told him I would return them to him but was turned down
After packing up to go home i done some Internet searching and found angling direct in Preston was open so after a quick call the chap called josh in the store agreed to let me purchase some leads and feeders via a phone call payment with a bank card my wife paid and I collected some 20 min later 10 min before they shut big thanks to josh for helping me out
Yes I know I should have spare leads and I should double check everything but it does happen
I have always lived to help where I can especially fishing growing up we always leant each other bits of tackle friends and strangers of course I'm not giving rods out to people I don't know but it the past I've given to total strangers bait hooks weights rod rests alsort of tackle because I had it spare and they needed it
I know the chap had every right to deny my request but belive it or not I felt hurt when I shouldn't have he didnot know me but I would never have done that to someone that's why I asked the question what would you have done it will not put me off lending people tackle to fish with but what it did do was make me realise there are anglers out there who will not help anyone I have never seen or experiencedo this before or thought I would
Just for the record I didn't ask to keep them in told the chap my dilemma my leads are 50 miles away and I would return them to him even by post I'm not a bumper just got caught out
I would have felt hurt as well , hardly brothers in angling was it ?, Two leads , it was hardly going to break the bank , tight wad !

Tight ducks, of course he/she could have some but I make my own so they cost pennies. What goes around always comes around
I’ve often thought about making my own but just can’t see the appeal for what I’m actually saving.
I give 10 quid the other day for 10 NGT 3oz grippers.
if Nash and korda were the only options then yes I’d be doing it but they can be so cheap in the right places it’s hardly worth the bother for me anyway

I’ve often thought about making my own but just can’t see the appeal for what I’m actually saving.
I give 10 quid the other day for 10 NGT 3oz grippers.
if Nash and korda were the only options then yes I’d be doing it but they can be so cheap in the right places it’s hardly worth the bother for me anyway
You don’t even have to look that hard... I bought 100 size 8 diamond eye swivels From eBay £3.95 inc postage and the quality is very good

Lee,
You’ll see him again and perhaps next time he’ll need a favour of you and you can take great delight in reminding him about Sunday 26th July.....the miserable sod!

Lee,
You’ll see him again and perhaps next time he’ll need a favour of you and you can take great delight in reminding him about Sunday 26th July.....the miserable sod!
Bill
I would never be that lucky knowing my luck next time I forget something there would only be tight ar5e there again .....oh what a day that would be Richards version a fish of a life time photo now that would be perfect or him asking to borrow a lead I think I'd through every spare one in the river in font of him the tell him I haven't got one

Yes. I would give him a couple. Unless he had arrived in a camper van.
What's up with camper vans?
I can't believe there's people on here who wouldn't give you a couple of leads. Only last week an angler ask me for some PVA and I just gave him 2 or 3 metres and told him to give me a shout if he needed more.

Bill
I would never be that lucky knowing my luck next time I forget something there would only be tight ar5e there again .....oh what a day that would be Richards version a fish of a life time photo now that would be perfect or him asking to borrow a lead I think I'd through every spare one in the river in font of him the tell him I haven't got one

In the unlikely event he ever did ask you to borrow a couple of leads, say "your in luck mate, no problem here you go. Do you know I had the same problem the other week and some tight fisted to@@er wouldn't help me? Some people eh?"

I was gobsmacked I thought every angler helped each other out
He was lucky I wasn't the unscrupulous type seen as though his shinny audi a5 was parked all alone on a farmers field

Well last week i did exactly that ! ... forgot my leads i mean :rolleyes: Though i managed to find a 4oz lead in my car that i'd been using on my plumbing rod, which did for my upstream rod though an ounce and a half heavier than what i usually use, and for my downstream rod i improvised with the heavy metal putty i had in my kit, which was what was left of what i had in the tin, i was the only angler on the stretch so i didn't have the option of asking, which i would have if i'd known another angler well, if not i don't think i would ! If the shoe was on the other foot and a stranger had asked me to let him have a couple of leads then yes i would've helped him out, There but for the grace of god and all that !

I forgot landing net head on the trent , phoned a mate up no problem to borrow one, 1 1/2 hrs later back on the bank . Always take a few spare weights even when roaming round a small river, that sinking feeling when a essential item gets left is not good . I would lend a genuine angler a couple of weights, even if not returned just a drop in the ocean in the scheme of things .

The first time I fished the Wasing syndicate on the Kennet I forgot my spreader block. Not the sort of thing you can borrow, and nobody else on the fishery anyway. I had to improvise with branches shaped with a penknife and string from the car. I was quite pleased with the result but never got to test it's suitability as I blanked..
But yes, I would definitely help a fellow angler out, no question.

Back