• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

And just when you think you've seen it all !!!.............

Dave Bartell

Senior Member & Supporter
Seen recently in a North London Fishmongers

Pricey Deadbaits at nearly £2.50 a Roach !!!

Attachments

• Roach For Sale.jpg
    Roach For Sale.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 350
They were selling carp in Tesco over Christmas, not cheap either at about £25 for one about 6lb.
If only I had my own puddle!

This is getting a joke now some of them roach are nice decent size fish such a shame what it’s getting like here now it makes you sick

This is getting a joke now some of them roach are nice decent size fish such a shame what it’s getting like here now it makes you sick
Don't pike anglers buy dead roach as bait . Or roach use for zander fishing.. Would you say same if it was eels on the market after all lot less eels then roach . Rather they buy roach then poach them

All this disgust about eating coarse fish just makes us look a bit stupid. Especially when the public think we are bit odd anyway, I imagine a lot of these fish are farmed if not all for food anyway.

Don't pike anglers buy dead roach as bait . Or roach use for zander fishing.. Would you say same if it was eels on the market after all lot less eels then roach . Rather they buy roach then poach them
dean it was meant in a joking way mate sorry if you took it wrong way guess I’ll be serious from now on

All this disgust about eating coarse fish just makes us look a bit stupid. Especially when the public think we are bit odd anyway, I imagine a lot of these fish are farmed if not all for food anyway.

Can't see that these Roach are being farmed for fishmongers Neil, just not the demand from the general public. Wouldn't surprise me if they were a local product from some aspiring entrepreneur, after all Hampstead Heath ponds are a short walk away ;):D:D:eek:

If that was the case that fish were being poached from local waterways then the supply route should be investigated.
I imagine certain cultures find roach a delicacy.
If my local fishmonger sold these I would certainly ask about how these fish were sourced.
Talk Sports Fisherman's Blues would be all over it :).

Catch limits
There’s a daily limit on the number of fish you can take.
Coarse (freshwater) fish
Each day you can only take from rivers:
  • 1 pike (up to 65cm)
  • 2 grayling (30cm to 38cm)
  • 15 small fish (up to 20cm) including barbel, chub, common bream, common carp, crucian carp, dace, perch, rudd, silver bream, roach, smelt and tench
nice little earner 15 roach a day

I do think this should change now...causes too much confusion for our EE friends when we tell them they cant remove fish
Exactly Jason. Just a few anglers could quickly empty a section of river or canal totally legally according to that outdated law.

You can’t just sell and buy to restaurants and fish mongers though can you? Thought it had to be an approved source, food standards etc. I’m sure some restaurants have been done buying fish of Angler’s.
Most likely farmed and from the same source as what commercial fisheries and aquarium shops buy from. There’s an increasing market in native fish as ornamentals. Gudgeon, minnows, Rudd, Roach, bream all available.

Most likely farmed and from the same source as what commercial fisheries and aquarium shops buy from. There’s an increasing market in native fish as ornamentals. Gudgeon, minnows, Rudd, Roach, bream all available.
Seen plenty of British freshwater fish for sale in the pond sections of aquarium shops,small mirror common grass carp rudd chub barbel
Sturgeon golden tench and pike

There's a fair sized reservoir near me, not in the best location, adjacent a major road and surrounded by undesirables. A sailing club think they own the place, they don't. For Donkeys years it held a lot of Roach and nothing else.
That is until a large Oriental food outlet opened nearby selling all sorts of live fish, including Carp.
Some religious sect believe that liberating these Carp and releasing them into the wild, ie. the reservoir, brings them Godly brownie points and the reservoir now has a very healthy head of Carp.
Not interested in fishing it but if I did I'd be heavily armed.

If that was the case that fish were being poached from local waterways then the supply route should be investigated.
I imagine certain cultures find roach a delicacy.
If my local fishmonger sold these I would certainly ask about how these fish were sourced.
Talk Sports Fisherman's Blues would be all over it :).
Let's hope they don't jump the gun over this one Neil, I couldn't bear to endure last Sunday's grovelling U-turn again :D:D:D

There's a fair sized reservoir near me, not in the best location, adjacent a major road and surrounded by undesirables. A sailing club think they own the place, they don't. For Donkeys years it held a lot of Roach and nothing else.
That is until a large Oriental food outlet opened nearby selling all sorts of live fish, including Carp.
Some religious sect believe that liberating these Carp and releasing them into the wild, ie. the reservoir, brings them Godly brownie points and the reservoir now has a very healthy head of Carp.
Not interested in fishing it but if I did I'd be heavily armed.

If it’s where I’m thinking (uwh) theres a few bigger creatures than carp floating around in it, normally with a few bullet holes in them

Back