• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Angling Trust scandal !!!

As an interested party, sponsors get to see the audited accounts, they don't normally get to see "the books". Actually "seeing the books", would essentially require a re-audit, which would be both time consuming and expensive. If there was some evidence of financial wrongdoing then a re-audit may take place, but I would hope it would take more than a juvenile scrawl on a bit of paper. If Drennan have had access to "the books", it will have been with the AT's consent.
Have to say the knee jerk reaction of some on here, to something that is nothing more than hearsay at this stage, has absolutely staggered me. Quick, get the dogs out, lets lynch the buggers.

As an interested party, sponsors get to see the audited accounts, they don't normally get to see "the books". Actually "seeing the books", would essentially require a re-audit, which would be both time consuming and expensive. If there was some evidence of financial wrongdoing then a re-audit may take place, but I would hope it would take more than a juvenile scrawl on a bit of paper. If Drennan have had access to "the books", it will have been with the AT's consent.
Have to say the knee jerk reaction of some on here, to something that is nothing more than hearsay at this stage, has absolutely staggered me. Quick, get the dogs out, lets lynch the buggers.

I,ll hold my hands up, guilty as charged my lord. :oops:. Mr Smart, have you got any of that pie left. :rolleyes:

Spot on Nick, across the main angling forums, the AT haters just jumped in; IMHO Drennan are looking a bit silly here.

Here are AT's last year's accounts ( bit of an url...) for those of you with an interest in such thngs :eek:...page 4 last section on income makes for interesting reading (the same statement appears each year it seems) -- no mention of Drennan, who I am sure on seeing this statement would ask how their money has been spent viz their agreement - I would ask if it was me, in fact a report on this would be part of the agreement, but it would be via the correct financial channels and of course commercially confidential.

https://document-api-images-prod.s3...18161ff7e77ff467fa5f005d1f3b33fb86b93a370c780

They've been sponsoring the team for years though. Was there any mention of Drennan in any previous years accounts ? No issue before ? Something has changed and it has nothing to do with accounting practices.

What we DO know for certain is ... we don't know.
AT will probably know all of it, Peter Drennan will know a lot or most of it ... but all we can do is surmise.

There's more wisdom in saying "We don't know" than thinking we know, when actually we don't.

IMHO

Does anyone want to sponsor me to have a year off work to go fishing everyday in return I promise to tell you how I have spent every penny.. about 50k should do it

Hi men,

As i said in my first post , there should be no problem with any representative body that takes public money showing clear accounts to be held against them , for the peace of mind for everyone . In fact it works for both parties , and will show any story for what it is .
If only we had done it for the Carp Society , as we took our eyes off the ball big time, and look what happened there , surely a warning for all representative bodys , and with nothing to hide peoples conscience can be clear . I was an original regional organiser, having big regular meetings , and buying raffle prizes , and paying speakers , quiet a responsibility, but we were very clear with our amature accounts , so a professional outfit should not have anything to worry about .

Hatter

Back