• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stupid weights

Rhys Perry

The recent dodgy looking 'big' barbel someone put up on the Wye thread reminded me of some posted on the BAA site in the past. So I had a look and found this beauty.

Screenshot_2018-09-11-10-22-37.png

Not to be outdone this fella put this up on the Severn Facebook page!

Screenshot_2018-09-17-18-48-25.png

At least the Fladbury one looks a double!

Lol. I don’t know why they do it. The strange thing is, the only people they’re really kidding is themselves.

I’ve waited 25 years to catch a double (that I could weigh) and I managed it this year at just over 11lbs. I’ve had quite a few, over the years, that at first look, seemed doubles but alas the scales don’t lie. However, I could’ve passed them off as “just” 10lb but I’d only be kidding myself.

The elation and satisfaction of finally getting a double after all those blanks, missed bites etc, couldn’t have been replicated by pretending.

I just don’t get it

9161A33A-FDFF-4821-B589-6F284C8F81B7.jpeg

There's a tongue in cheek Facebook group, called 'Double Figure Barbel Legends', where some of us chronicle these silly claims, it's quite amusing, but as already said, there are some very nice fish that any barbel angler would be pleased with, which are claimed to be far higher than what they are.

I think you do have to be careful judging weights by a photo. there are some that are obviously wrong but some could be down to the way the photo presents the fish. I do a lot of match fishing and quite often nowadays pictures are taken of big fish or catches at the end of matches and being match anglers they are notoriously bad and quite often a weighed fish such as 3lb perch a 6lb chub or a 10lb barbel looks know where near its weight in the pic.

and John, be interesting if you bumped into one of these guys you openly take the piss out of on facebook in the middle of know where on the Avon...you could have least used an alias:)

You're right Jason, probably shouldn't take the p**s too much, I've got a couple of fish photos that don't appear to match the weights.
That said, that alleged 14lb Severn fish is taking the p**s so sometimes it's justified!

For a really good laugh have a look at a youtube video of a guy who calls himself wildcampervanman. The vid is called Piking on the Cherwell and he catches two pike on lures, the second one he claims a weight of 8.6. I think if he claimed less than half that weight he would still have needed some seriously dodgy scales!

Lol. I don’t know why they do it. The strange thing is, the only people they’re really kidding is themselves.

I’ve waited 25 years to catch a double (that I could weigh) and I managed it this year at just over 11lbs. I’ve had quite a few, over the years, that at first look, seemed doubles but alas the scales don’t lie. However, I could’ve passed them off as “just” 10lb but I’d only be kidding myself.

The elation and satisfaction of finally getting a double after all those blanks, missed bites etc, couldn’t have been replicated by pretending.

I just don’t get it

View attachment 6193
Lovely looking fish Daniel

Rhys/Jason ... it was actually 11-11, and it looked that weight in the net! But yes, I know, it looks much less in the pic. It's one reason I take so few fishy photos ;)
Need a new camera, or new skill-set :eek:

Rhys/Jason ... it was actually 11-11, and it looked that weight in the net! But yes, I know, it looks much less in the pic. It's one reason I take so few fishy photos ;)
Need a new camera, or new skill-set :eek:

I know the feeling Terry...a few years back I made the effort to do some good self takes, nowadays I cant be that bothered.

Daniels pic of the 11lber could pass for a bigger fish but yours the opposite...just shows how the picture distorts the size of fish.

Back