• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stupid weights

The only way to really judge a fish properly is to lay it on it's side and if you can alongside an item that has a known size and weight, perhaps Graham Elliot's Hybrid Bream Roach? multiply by 5 and you have the true weight.

This will also show him just what he is missing out on, and what a proper big Barbel looks like. ;)

I have to agree that weights of Barbel are difficult to tell from a photograph although some claims are obviously exaggerated.

I have found that Barbel from different rivers and sometimes the same river can be deceptive in their size to weight ratio.

This true for a lot of fish. Chub from the Cherwell seem to weigh heavier than Thames chub on frame size. Strange really, as the Cherwell is Thames tributary.

I think we all know depending on how the picture is taken you can make a small fish look big or................ a big fish look small ? so sometimes these keyboard warriors accusations are wrong if I see a picture that looks like its an inflated weight I just smile and move on

its a fact of life some people will lie about what they caught size and how many etc so WHY ? bother to bang on about it and try and belittle them ?

in a way it makes you just as bad in my opinion

This true for a lot of fish. Chub from the Cherwell seem to weigh heavier than Thames chub on frame size. Strange really, as the Cherwell is Thames tributary.
Smaller tributaries always seem to produce larger Chub, one such example is a Brook that is a tributary of the Bristol Avon, some right clonkers in there, in places you could jump across.

I think we all know depending on how the picture is taken you can make a small fish look big or................ a big fish look small ? so sometimes these keyboard warriors accusations are wrong if I see a picture that looks like its an inflated weight I just smile and move on

its a fact of life some people will lie about what they caught size and how many etc so WHY ? bother to bang on about it and try and belittle them ?

in a way it makes you just as bad in my opinion
However one angler in particular tried to claim a new record barbel for the severn...on the back of that he got a sponsorship from bait companies, and a tackle shop. The current record holder I know and is a dedicated angler and endures many lower severen blanks, so he deserves it. The other bloke is a cheat, yet still makes claims for The Wye currently of inflated weights, to I suppose boost his standing with his bait sponsors and indeed the Angling press.
It can get a bit out of hand, personally I am intruiged by Big barbel captures and would prefer honesty not the way things are going at the moment with telescopic arms trying to deceive the gullible, good on those that have the balls to expose the cheats.

I s'pose before (especially digital) cameras and the www it was a matter of anglers being typified as saying "It was THIS big", with arms outstretched to the side. Anglers down the ages have been seen as exaggerators at best, and downright liars at worst.
That's just the way of it.

I s'pose before (especially digital) cameras and the www it was a matter of anglers being typified as saying "It was THIS big", with arms outstretched to the side. Anglers down the ages have been seen as exaggerators at best, and downright liars at worst.
That's just the way of it.
Like most of us the biggest joy is seeing the fish kick and swim off after gracing us with her beauty.

Like most of us the biggest joy is seeing the fish kick and swim off after gracing us with her beauty.
Yep, that's why I enjoy wading so much ... you can release them without having to remove them from the water.

Don't try it on the Lower though Neil :eek::eek::eek:

Just seen this and my initial thought was “no way” but I keep looking and can’t make up my mind ‍♂️

Attachments

• C866FFC5-19F0-4123-A601-B5633CA24ADC.png
    C866FFC5-19F0-4123-A601-B5633CA24ADC.png
    448.5 KB · Views: 339
However one angler in particular tried to claim a new record barbel for the severn...on the back of that he got a sponsorship from bait companies, and a tackle shop. The current record holder I know and is a dedicated angler and endures many lower severen blanks, so he deserves it. The other bloke is a cheat, yet still makes claims for The Wye currently of inflated weights, to I suppose boost his standing with his bait sponsors and indeed the Angling press.
It can get a bit out of hand, personally I am intruiged by Big barbel captures and would prefer honesty not the way things are going at the moment with telescopic arms trying to deceive the gullible, good on those that have the balls to expose the cheats.
I’ve fished the Wye since a kid, I know a lot of very good Angler’s who have yet to catch a Wye double. That so called 13 is an utter disgrace.

I’ve fished the Wye since a kid, I know a lot of very good Angler’s who have yet to catch a Wye double. That so called 13 is an utter disgrace.
I have fished the Wye just a few times, not nearly enough, no excuses really. But I have had just one double at 11 something, and the only reason I got very lucky and was down to the BAA Bailiff (like no other) who controls the stretch put me on to the swim in a slack next to a overhanging willow, and within 5 minutes it was on. But that was exceptional, a Wye double is a rare fish, let alone a 13 plus.

Back