• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Big chub

Yes Graham the Silstar is not the stated dia when you mic it up, still good line though.

I always used the Silstar but my local shops did not stock it.
That's why I went over to the Reflo Power as everyone stocked it.

The Silstar is a good tough line, very resilient.

I love small baits in the winter months, as you've used Keith, especially in cold weather as we've been experiencing lately.

Julian,

The Loddon, including the TDFC stretches, and St Pats have been producing big chub in recent weeks. My advice, for what it's worth, is keep on the move. I've been fishing up to a dozen swims a session in recent weeks, it's been hard work (not proper hard work, just fishing hard work!) but very worthwhile...eventually.

Cheers,

Steve

I wouldn't give up on the Thames tributaries. Hard work sometimes but the rewards are there. I blanked on the Loddon today which brings me one session closer my next big chub!

Steve

Diabolical is a bit strong Julian.

Ok they are not there in number like they used to be, so the fishing is not easy. However if you are prepared to put in some effort in locating them then they can be caught quite easily on simple methods. Not this month though it seems :rolleyes:

They seem to be tightly shoaled and inactive laterly.

Still. I'll try again tomorrow.........just hoping the trout and bream have gone.

I rarely target chub and have caught bigger when after pike and barbel but this was immensely satisfying on a tough day. Caught on maggot.

Lovely looking chub Graham.

Btw if you are just down from the bridge thats exactly where I caught one at the same weight last time I went about 10 years ago. Ade Kiddell had a 7 from the opposite bank downstream.

Graham.

Upstream, Graham.

Good job I caught it on the Monday in spite of the torrential rain - Tuesday and wednesday were write-offs. :(

No pics I'm afraid but yesterday was one of the best days Hants Avon Chub fishing I have had for a long time.
Fished from 12 to 5.30 with 2 rods, 1 feeder and one on paste wrapped Nash Monster Squid boilie.
Had 11 takes landing 7 of them (all 4 lost fish were on feeder), they were a really good stamp @ 4.15, 5.1, 5.3, 5.4, 5.14, 6.11 and 6.14
Awesome afternoon topped off with a sighting of a Red Kite overhead which is very unusual in Dorset

What a wonderful bag of chub Keith, we are certainly experiencing the good times for the species on both Avon and Stour. Well done fella.;)

IMG_1570_zpsiugfzakn.jpg
Went down the Itchen on Monday with my mate Pete,he concentrated on grayling and i roved with 2 buckets of bread mash, we both had a crazy day,I ended up with 27 chub, only 2 under 3lb,most between 3lb and 4lb with a few 5's this was the biggest, not weighed but over 6 lb,my mate had around 50 grayling,we also had plenty of trout and i had a sea trout about 6 lb that jumped 10 times,i thought it was a salmon.Had 18 chub from one swim,they sure were shoaled up,when we arrived Pete said,where i started was the best swim on the stretch,he was right.

Back