• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Plastic mesh for feeders

Terry Simner

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi all..does anyone know of a supplier of plastic mesh that would be suitable for feeders?? I've really struggled in the past to find large feeders of relatively low weight (e.g. say 3-4cm diameter but only 15-25grms)..so guess I'll have to make my own:eek:
ATVBA
Terry

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/abras...-rods-sheets-tubes/perforated-plastic-sheets/

Here you go mate,... lots of perforated plastic sheet to choose from.
Use to make my own inline feeders before they became available in the shops.;)

Dt

Ps I've also used the perforated sheet in plastic and alloy for making various size baitdropper flaps.
If you just want to make round open end feeders why not buy some thin walled plastic pipe of your preferred diameter?

No probs Terry, don't mean to tell you how to suck eggs, but all of the plastic sheet folds round easier if a little heat is applied. I use a heat gun on low setting.
The bigger the percentage open area of the perforations the easier it is to form.
All the best Dt.

soft plastic mesh

Hi Terry try Ebay for soft plastic mesh, My brother make's all the ground bait feeder's we use. They are great on the river severn and its cheap feeders hope this helps Kevin

Cheers Kevin, but already ordered from RS-Online. Thanks anyway mate.
ATVB
Terry

Making your own is fine, but an easier way perhaps? Hair curlers, from the pound shop - here's some

Attachments

• diy_feeders02.jpg
    diy_feeders02.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 361
Another vote for the hair curlers

Just be aware that in the shop , they could have a Velcro covering and foam insert

Removed very easily though , much better than forming a shape from the mesh

Try the large drennan ovals, wrap black insulation tape around them for strength, also for a subtle finish. Cut through the tape to the preformed holes as many or as few required.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gutter-Guard-Mesh-16-Ft-X-6In-Black-Plastic-5-6-Gutters-Cover-Easy-Install-/350805564768?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51ada41d60 is a plastic mesh sold in a roll to keep leaves out of your gutters - I bought a roll in a pound shop & enough for dozens of feeders. You need to cut it on an angle to avoid the ends being loads of pointy triangles if you get what I mean.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 237
I really like people's idea's for making their own feeders and things, but i was wondering how you would close the plastic mesh to idea make a tube, if you know what i mean? For example, with wire mesh i suppose you could fold the wire back on itself closing the mesh together but i wouldn't know how with the plastic and leave it reasonably neat and tidy?

Stephen

I think what i was trying to say is, how do you close the sides of the plastic mesh.:eek::)

You buy the hair curlers so you don't need to haha

Funny you should say that Stuart, i was messing about with a black cap feeder the other day, and my wife said that it reminded her of curlers/rollers that her mother had years ago:eek: Apparently they had an elasticated top on them. The curlers i mean, not the wife's mother she just had a fan belt for a tongue:D:D

Stephen

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin/forum/members/dave-taylor-albums-dropbox-picture5396-image.jpg

Being an engineer I am probably guilty of over engineering the most simple things.!
Also having the use of a workshop it is easy to forget that most guys don't share that advantage.
When I use to make large feeders I capped them off and retained them with plastic thread protector cups which my firm used in many different sizes. I would also part off retaining collars to position halfway along the cage.
When the plastic Thamesly baitdropper went out of production I simply programmed my cnc machining center and made a couple of dozen from solid, then frigged around making the flap and spindle/ weight. This was obviously labour intensive but allowed me to carry on using my favourite dropper. I admit, not the sort of thing you could do at home! ( see pic. )
The bigger ones were easier and could be knocked up from plastic containers.

There are some hair curlers that have internal spikes (gawd knows what for)...but they hold soft g.bait in really well while you cast.

Chest, Dave.

Back