• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

zander help

Graham Elliott

Senior Member & Supporter
Ok not barbel but going tomorrow so help appreciated.

Trying to catch my first at the first attempt.
Severn or WA?
Plan to leger roach head or tail. Do I need to quiver tip on a river?
Have set up a rig with small treble and 6 hook pennel style. Better with a single hook?
Wire trace (soft) or mono trace?
In the flow? Looking at Mythe if Severn or lake at Uckinghall if no matches.
Anyone around who wants to assist a bit?
Lots questions.
Cheers Graham

Severn or WA?
Have set up a rig with small treble and 6 hook pennel style. Better with a single hook?
Lots questions.
Cheers Graham

Best to use a wire trace Graham in case of pike. I use a VB double hook and 18 inches of wire. Try the lower Severn as I think there are a bigger head of zeds than the wavon. A headless roach or tail section is my preferred bait but a freshly caught and killed bleak is another go to bait. I usually use an Avon rod and have a light bobbin to help with indication.

Hope that helps

Thanks Jeff. And thanks to Anthony and Mike for their very comprehensive responses.

Cheers Guys. Happy. No more or confused.com.

Severn or WA?
Lots questions.
Cheers Graham

Avon have a few Graham, and perhaps one of the best venues is the Swan Neck at Eckington BAA, walk as far as you can left bank upstream. Hayes and Brown did a feature there a few years back if you want to pull it up. Lower Lode Tewkesbury is excellent too, fish on the lawn of the rowing club, some real big lumps have come out of there.

I'd go WAvon way Graham.
Plenty in and around the weir at Harvington, albeit smaller ones that you can catch in the day if you fish light'ish.
Small live bait tho...

If you have a light jig rod stick a 3" illuminous green shad on.
I've had many on during the day time on the Trent.

Thanks all. Now going Sunday....don't like nonstop heavy rain!

Is that BAA or free bit at rowing club Neil?

Thanks all. Now going Sunday....don't like nonstop heavy rain!

Is that BAA or free bit at rowing club Neil?

It used to free, well 50p Graham, but I believe there is a bit of an increase, you can overnight if you wish, and if you get thirsty you can ring the bell for the ferry to the pub.:)
Thru the gate it is really wild and unkempt banks, used to be Gloucester United AA, some nice quiet bays with big carp and preds. Ssssh:rolleyes:

Some lads i spoke to had done really well Zandering with chopped up bits of fish, sprats/roach/perch in an open end running feeder rig,quiver tip rod and very small tail section with a single hook.They were fishing an area that was prolific and did not need to move about.A bit different to the normal predator fishing.I did not know how they secured the bits in the feeder though.

Dean ,you are probably right,the lads i spoke about fished a place with few eel's,there seems to be few left down south.

Dean ,you are probably right,the lads i spoke about fished a place with few eel's,there seems to be few left down south.

What few eels are left seem to be displaying odd behaviour. A mate of mine who fishes the H.Avon a reasonable amount (he likes to book the parlour pool for the day) says that some days you can't get a lump of meat down for eels, other days they seem not to exist. Can't explain that, beyond guessing that possibly they are arriving offshore and running up from the sea in batches, due to global warming creating unusual current patterns at sea? Don't know.

Cheers, Dave.

Just an update.
Chose the soft option and fished Uck pond.

No joy on roach halfs deadbaited on the bottom or suspended. Kept thinking I should be on the river but a guy who fishes for them frequently told me had spent the night without a touch there as well.

Guess I'll have to try again.....I only want 1!

As Jeff says, the Lower is crawling with them. It's actually hard to fail as there's so many in the few pounds range. Small roach dead or part of ledgered in the middle. You can also float fish if the flows ok.

Joe. Yes BAA member.

I fished the Uck pond next to Ripple. There are quite a few nice pics on the BAA website. As I said the chap who fished the river behind all night also caught nowt.

Just an unlucky day. It'll happen.

Joe. Yes BAA member.

I fished the Uck pond next to Ripple. There are quite a few nice pics on the BAA website. As I said the chap who fished the river behind all night also caught nowt.

Just an unlucky day. It'll happen.

Either that, or that pond's no Uckin good Graham :D

Cheers, Dave.

Back