• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Your own piece of heaven

It was to buy Alex. I agree with you though and all that went through my mind. I was told that the boundary for the house ended at the end of the garden and the river belonged to the landowner on the other side, albeit that they couldn't obviously access the river from the garden. I was told that perhaps an arrangement could be entered into with the landowner. To be honest it all sounded like it was all going to be too hard and I also thought about the prospect of having anglers fishing from the opposite bank, so I never explored or investigated it any further.

That's a new one on me Howard, how can anybody "own" a river? The halfway rule is, I thought, universal. Sounds to me like someone had pulled a fast one and got away with it. Would have been interesting if you had legally challenged it. But I know what you mean about not wanting the hassle.

i have often thought about leasing a stretch or buying a house with a river at the bottom of the garden allowing me to fish, only problem with the latter is i would soon get bored with just one swim and 2ndly the waters too close for comfort during flood times in the year, the idea sounds divine but practicals a different matter

Actually Nick, I preferred your BWAMW name, nothing related to a fishery comes up if you google hps syndicate.

It aint that exclusive is it Tony. You remember my big mate don't you, we launched my boat at the ramp upstream this backend just gone. We saw some big lumps on the sidescan. They were not having it though, I recon they were Zeddies spawning. The big lad has his own boat now so we may bring two others of your acquaintances with us this coming.

COOPS?

Wasn't that a regular poster on barbel fishing aint my world?

Didn't they spend most time knocking BFW and individuals that post on it?

They usually get found out when they put on stupid ideas or posts trying to cause trouble...

Last edited:
Problem is you can't get on that awful site, they restrict access to members only now, shame really as occasionally I would look in, and leave feeling like Einstein, there are some right 'characters' on there, and they are ever so nawty they even say the F word and C word :eek:

Didn't you two post on there, I could use my moderator powers to check on the number of posts you both made.
I was number one on there to Tarkers Captain, I defy you to find any derogatory posts either of us made regarding this forum. Some of the idiot posters yes but every forum has a wronun or two

Neil, we shut it down. I'm surprised a man of your intellect didn't realise that when we put closed for good on the front page then a link to the new site.

It was to buy Alex. I agree with you though and all that went through my mind. I was told that the boundary for the house ended at the end of the garden and the river belonged to the landowner on the other side, albeit that they couldn't obviously access the river from the garden. I was told that perhaps an arrangement could be entered into with the landowner. To be honest it all sounded like it was all going to be too hard and I also thought about the prospect of having anglers fishing from the opposite bank, so I never explored or investigated it any further.

I think Alex is correct Howard, but possibly only regarding 'water rights'.
If the river defines your property boundary, you should indeed own the bed of the river to the middle of the channel within your fence lines.
If the fishing rights to a section of river or lake have been disposed of as a seperate lot, or perhaps retained by an original landowner they would not be available to you as a right.
Have look at rights to fish
1.1 Basis of right
1 - Ownership of Fish and Fisheries - Simon Jackson Solicitors
The rights must be registered at the Land Registry
One of my clubs own a number of fishing rights on lakes and rivers where private dwellings border the waters edge and this minefield of law tends to come up every so often.
When farms or estates are sold the fishing rights are sometimes sold as a seperate lot.
All the best
dt:)

Neil, we shut it down. I'm surprised a man of your intellect didn't realise that when we put closed for good on the front page then a link to the new site.

Intellect me? :p

Anyway I am sure you are being sincere just like a true Not Of This World member, so...

Tell us why did you have to close down and set up a new site, just for clarity like.:rolleyes:

Didn't you two post on there, I could use my moderator powers to check on the number of posts you both made.
I was number one on there to Tarkers Captain, I defy you to find any derogatory posts either of us made regarding this forum. Some of the idiot posters yes but every forum has a wronun or two

Me? No I didn't but there was Smartass fella :D

I have some respect left, I would never attempt to join such an outfit :rolleyes:

"Tell us why did you have to close down and set up a new site, just for clarity like".

Credit where its due Kev,........ good un is that. Smartass by name, Smartass by........

Problem is you can't get on that awful site, they restrict access to members only now, shame really as occasionally I would look in, and leave feeling like Einstein, there are some right 'characters' on there, and they are ever so nawty they even say the F word and C word :eek:

The problem is you can't get on that awful site. If something is awful why want to get on it.

Even Einstein had his problems, poor analogy Neil.

"Tell us why did you have to close down and set up a new site, just for clarity like".

Credit where its due Kev,........ good un is that. Smartass by name, Smartass by........

Ray's decision, up to him to say. Wars, the new site is mine and Ade's, Tarquin is still posting though so the claims he was disgusted with the rest of us can clearly seen to be total ********. I think I can speak for Ade as well here, any pressure to close "wars" will fall on very deaf ears.

Nick- an utterly crass post, even for you and I would respectfully urge you to remove it.

(Quote from post removed , and physically romoved original post , mod team )

Last edited by a moderator:
Back