• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Your fail safe hookbait?

Just wondered what's everyones "fail safe" / most confident hookbait. Granted what you stick in the feeder will affect outcome also but I'm focusing on hookbaits.
For me currently it's a dynamite spicy sausage boile hair rigged, sometimes I'll trim it a bit to rough up it's roundness.

I’m most confident when using worms or maggots…for most species, might not be selective but that’s also part of the attraction.
If I had to choose one bait to target Barbel with confidence it would be homemade special boilie pastes - very versatile, own recipe means nobody else is using it, make into boilies/chops/or just paste, or both, can prebait with it…..and the satisfaction when catching on it is very rewarding!

I’m most confident when using worms or maggots…for most species, might not be selective but that’s also part of the attraction.
If I had to choose one bait to target Barbel with confidence it would be homemade special boilie pastes - very versatile, own recipe means nobody else is using it, make into boilies/chops/or just paste, or both, can prebait with it…..and the satisfaction when catching on it is very rewarding!
I think this year will be the year I start making boilies, the satisfaction factor of catching in home made baits is a massive draw! Do you find it more cost effective to make your own?

Worms and maggots will catch anything that swims . For Barbel, if I had to choose one it would be garlic flavoured Spam . These days I very rarely use a feeder when Barbel fishing , except with maggots ,so that part of the equation doesn't come in to it
Can't bear naturals can you! Also always nice to find something else on the other end of the line that the targeted barbel.

I think this year will be the year I start making boilies, the satisfaction factor of catching in home made baits is a massive draw! Do you find it more cost effective to make your own?
Not really compared costs but would imagine it is more cost effective ….it’s all about being individual and versatility for me

8mm cheesy garlic pellets is my main go to bait in normal conditions

Yes and no, I use less homemade bait although sometimes more to make I don’t need half as much as the shop bought. It’s great fun

Write down every thing you put in it and note the results.

Hi men

Easy for me , pellet

Although a sticky baits Krill Active harden hookbait would run it close , but the pellets range makes it more versatile.

Hatter

Back