• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Yorkshire

If you've never visited North Yorkshire before you're in for a treat. Fantastic scenery so take a camera. Scarborough is a great place to stay and you can have days out from there. Goathland is where Heartbeat was filmed and Whitby Abbey is worth seeing too. Great fish and chips in Whtiby. Doreen's black pudding with your breakfast! Have a great time!

Try looking on U tube for Charlyfarly, he is a bit of an aquired taste , but he fishes some really nice venues , and his videos will give you some idea of what the rivers are like .

One place I fish myself is the Swale at Cundall .
You can drive down to the bank and park behind or nearby to your swim. Lots of different features, deep bends , fast runs, lots of willow , cattle drinks etc .

I am not that keen of the parking behind swims but it makes access a bit easier if you are of limited mobility .

David

Hi gents, my wife and I are planning a visit to the North Yorkshire Moors in late September.

Cliff, for clarity, do you mean the North Yorkshire Moors, or are you using the term thinking it includes/is the Dales? (It happens, they are moors in North Yorkshire after all).

The Dales and the North Yorks Moors are distinct National Park areas separated by a fairly significant expanse of the Vale of York (the river basin of the Yorkshire Ouse and its tributaries). It's quite feasible to visit both from one base. However, where you might stay or fish could be significantly impacted by your answer. For my money, as someone that lived and worked at sites on the top of the Yorlshire Wolds and NY Moors for over fifteen years, as you travel east of the Vale of York, the more limited the coarse fishing becomes.

The type of fishing you would like to partake in could also make a huge difference to your choices. Unfortunately for visitors, day ticket fishing on both the Swale and Tees is rather limited. I know far less of the Ure, Derwent and Rye, but they too don't seem overly blessed by day ticket access.

Fortunately, there are many nice little market towns to stay in. Some are far more touristy than others. Until you nail down the area you really want to be, it's difficult to recommend anything. I love the area around Pickering and if you are wanting to visit the NYMoors rather than the Dales, it would be a great base. However, I wouldn't recommend it if fishing is a priority.

Pickering and Malton at the foot of the NYM. Take the steam train Pickering to Whitby, a few picturesque stations en route which you can use hop-on, hop-off style. Goathland is a particular favourite of ours and there's an easy walking route to Grosmont via Mallyan Spout which we do regularly before picking up the train again. Goathland is a pretty village, lots of holiday lets, a couple of hotels and pubs. Still making the most of the 'Heartbeat' filming location but not bad for it. Whitby is stunning but does get busy especially at weekends.
Pickering would be my first recommendation. I knew a b& b there , trout stream at bottom of garden, owner the local water bailiff. Didn't fish then, ha.

Cliff, for clarity, do you mean the North Yorkshire Moors, or are you using the term thinking it includes/is the Dales? (It happens, they are moors in North Yorkshire after all).

The Dales and the North Yorks Moors are distinct National Park areas separated by a fairly significant expanse of the Vale of York (the river basin of the Yorkshire Ouse and its tributaries). It's quite feasible to visit both from one base. However, where you might stay or fish could be significantly impacted by your answer. For my money, as someone that lived and worked at sites on the top of the Yorlshire Wolds and NY Moors for over fifteen years, as you travel east of the Vale of York, the more limited the coarse fishing becomes.

The type of fishing you would like to partake in could also make a huge difference to your choices. Unfortunately for visitors, day ticket fishing on both the Swale and Tees is rather limited. I know far less of the Ure, Derwent and Rye, but they too don't seem overly blessed by day ticket access.

Fortunately, there are many nice little market towns to stay in. Some are far more touristy than others. Until you nail down the area you really want to be, it's difficult to recommend anything. I love the area around Pickering and if you are wanting to visit the NYMoors rather than the Dales, it would be a great base. However, I wouldn't recommend it if fishing is a priority.
thanks Chris, fishing is not the priority for this trip but I definitely want to look at some of the rivers and try and grab a couple of hours here and there. Typically we have a ride out each day to explore so it doesn't matter if the base is an hour or so from where the fishing is ?

Ancient Cleveland is the best part of Yorkshire but i may be biased? You get the North York Moors with the west edge being the magnificent Cleveland Hills (climb Roseberry Topping), and to the east the beaches from Tees Mouth down to Whitby and further. 35 mins to the Swale and a bit further to the Nidd. Look at Great Ayton and Stokesley to name a few. You are just minutes from the little dales which are part of the Moors, such as Gribdale, Kildale, Eskdale and Westerdale. And if you have taste, you can go and watch The Boro play.;)

Consider the market town of Easingwold , only 15 mins drive to the Ouse or Swale for angling , just off the A19 so easy road access to York , the Dales ,NY Moors or the seaside

Back