• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Yorkshire

Cliff Turner

Senior Member & Supporter
Hi gents, my wife and I are planning a visit to the North Yorkshire Moors in late September. Any suggestions on a good central place to stay, nice small town with a few good pubs etc, and hopefully within striking distance of a couple of the rivers with a chance of a barbel. Any info appreciated ! thanks.

My favourite river in the country is the river swale. It’s got everything you could want from 6 inch deep rapids over boulders to 12ft deep holes on wide corners. It’s rammed full of chub and the barbel sport is great too. Lots of The river lends itself to trotting really well
So definitely take your waders and float rod if you fancy the swale.

Nice towns to stay in N yorks and sensible drive to parts of the swale among other rivers.

Ripon (actually a city)
Richmond
Thirsk
Northallerton
Bedale
Leyburn
Hemsley

Boroughbridge,just off the A1,central to the north yorkshire rivers,local day tickets available and plenty of scope for visiting some of the lovely places Richard as mentioned.

Pickering and Malton at the foot of the NYM. Take the steam train Pickering to Whitby, a few picturesque stations en route which you can use hop-on, hop-off style. Goathland is a particular favourite of ours and there's an easy walking route to Grosmont via Mallyan Spout which we do regularly before picking up the train again. Goathland is a pretty village, lots of holiday lets, a couple of hotels and pubs. Still making the most of the 'Heartbeat' filming location but not bad for it. Whitby is stunning but does get busy especially at weekends.

Sat in the middle of the NY Moors
Great grub, nice rooms , good ale but very popular
Whitby , Runswick , Saltburn and coast - 30-40 mins
York & Beverley via Howardian Hills( castle Howard) > 1 hour
Yorkshire Wolds also worth a visit
Malton Pickering Helmsley 30-40 mins

Fishing

A Leeds & District ticket would get you some nice stretches on the Swale and I think you’d get in - no waiting list but might be too much if only a week
www.leedsdasa.co.uk
Bradford AC & No 1 might be worth a look too
Day ticket available at Fawdington on the lower Swale - not an easy stretch but did hold some nice fish

Also the other rivers worth looking at and Derwent, Rye,Ouse, Hull, Ure even Tees all drivable-

Back