• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Yorkshire Ouse barbel survey

Mike Hodgkiss

Some of you may remember that at the back end of last season I asked via this forum for data on barbel captures on the none tidal Yorkshire Ouse . A big thanks to the 19 anglers who took the time to reply . For those who did reply contact me via E mail at mike.hodgkiss@googlemail.com and I will let you know the results .

The basic idea behind the survey was obtain the individual weights of fish caught to determine average size , health of population , the initial idea being prompted by anecdotal evidence of captures of very small barbel which indicated natural recruitment . It is my intention to try and obtain this data for the next four years and then publish the results . I did contact the EA about the survey asking if they had been involved in any stocking programmes . They advised that there had been no barbel stocking to the best of their knowledge but were very interested in my survey particularly with regard to location of captures . I advised them that I did not have location of capture so couldn't help there .

So as last year, would any of you lads and lassies who fish the Ouse be prepared to let me know the individual weights or guesstimate weights of the barbel you caught in the 2009-10 season ? As before I DO NOT want to know anything about where you caught fish , only weights / numbers , no names of anglers will be given out . I look forward to your replies via E mail , last years returns were very interesting . In your E mail could you indicate whether you are OK with me publishing the data , this is simply a courtesy request ,as said earlier no names will be given out without permissions

Thanks in anticipation

Last edited:
Thread made sticky - for a period

paul4

Mike
You know how I think on the reason for more small Barbel in the Ouse - its that weir removal at Skip Bridge and its effect on the availability of Spawning sites. The advent of more small Barbel times with its removal. The importance of that weir and spawming sites was highlighted in the Durham studies (see http://www.dur.ac.uk/research/directory/staff/?mode=staff&id=30 )

Didn't fish the Ouse that much this last season but will see about my records in due course.

Back