• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

x line

Xline

Anyone on it? Worth the expense or not?

Used it several seasons ago first lot was faulty and snapped like cotton so had to take it back. Used the replacement for two seasons by reversing it on the spools to save money. However it did seem to become less flexible and supple with use? Hope thats of use

Chris, you will get as many different opinions about X-line as you get answers, so it's one of those questions with no definitive answer. I had a bad experience with it, Colin not much better (do you want a line where some batches snap like cotton? I had one, so it's not a rare occurrence)

On the other hand, some anglers like it. Take yer pick mate :D

Cheers, Dave.

I tried fluorocarbon line when I fly fished - once - and never again.

I found it difficult to knot and snapped like cotton on the first fish I hooked.

So I went back to using reliable brands of nylon, Maxima, Drennan etc. The big selling point for fly fishing was its sinking ability but I just rubbed the nylon with fullers earth and fairy liquid made in to a paste.

I`m with Graham on this, I use x line in 15lb for Thames barbelling. It sinks like a stone, keeping everything out of the way of the boats and had no problems with abrasion resistance or knots. I also use fluorocarbon for chub fishing hooklinks, 3rd generation trout versions generally.

I wouldn't use anything else.

I use it in 10lb with no problems. you do have to take off the first few yards if you haven't used it for a few weeks.

I have landed lots of doubles from the Hampshire Avon with this stuff with lots of weed around..

Jeff

It's just something I got used to doing and as I said, I have no problems.

It just seems to be the first couple of yards?

Works for me!

Regards,

Jeff

Used it in 10lb,does tend to break easily.Luckily on snags not fish.Gone back to GR60 as i dont trust it in this strength.Maybe ok in 15lb but cannot afford it just for a try out.

Roman, I and many others have been advising people to check out the Tackle Box test charts since their inception, because they show trends as well as individual results. It comes as no surprise to any seasoned angler to see that standard nylon mono invariably breaks at way above it's stated BS, and fluoro invariably breaks well under it's stated BS. The reality is that the average standard mono in the .30/.31 dia. (usually claimed to be 10<12lb BS) actually breaks at an average above 14lb. X line at a similar dia. (claimed to be 15lb) would brake at a little over 10lb. The frightening bit is, even if you go up to a dia. that X line claims will break at 20lb BS, you are still actually only going to get roughly 12.5lb :eek: Hence my recommendation to use that dia. if you must use these lines.

In my opinion, they have their uses and in skilled hands, using balanced tackle, they are usable....PROVIDING you are aware of their limitations. However, again in my opinion, there are far better lines out there that do the job...without the limitations. For instance, take a look at Catana in those charts. Go figure.

Cheers, Dave.

I use X line on one rod and have never had it break in over 3 years. I regularly remove the last couple of yards after each session. I have just bought some Mirage to replace my x line as it's a bit low on the spool now. I think flourocarbons in diameters below 0.33 are unreliable for barbel fishing.

Nick C

Roman, I and many others have been advising people to check out the Tackle Box test charts since their inception
Cheers, Dave.

Cheers Dave! As you have stated the dia. is vital in determining whats reasonable, personally I couldn't see the benefit to having to use 20lb X-line at a larger dia. compared to a mono of far smaller diameter but greater breaking strength, personally. Thanks for the pointers.

Back