• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wye Lea Fishery River Wye

John Merriman

Senior Member & Supporter
Never fished Wye Lea fishery and we're booked on to fish it in a couple of weeks time. Struggling to get clear instructions on how to find the fishery. All I've been told to drive to Bridstow , pass the school on the left, pass the church and it's on the right. How far pass the church is the entrance.? Also been told you need a 4x4 unless you want to walk down a very steep hill to the river. Can anyone please give clear instructions and any help?
Also guys any clues on were to fish? All we know is the fishery is about a mile long upstream from the motorway bridge. Is it 1 rod or 2 rods? BTW there are 3 of us fishing.
Looking forward for some comments.
Many thanks, John

I fished this stretch a number of years a go , the only thing I can confirm is that the walk down to / up from the river is steep and if you wanted to drive to the rivers edge a 4x4 would be the only guaranteed method of driving to the bank side safely , hope this is of some help

I fished this stretch a number of years a go , the only thing I can confirm is that the walk down to / up from the river is steep and if you wanted to drive to the rivers edge a 4x4 would be the only guaranteed method of driving to the bank side safely , hope this is of some help
Thanks Mike...any info is useful.

No problem John , it's a nice stretch , 4 of us fished it on a hot summers day but we all caught Barbel and chub , if I remember correctly we got instructions to get there from a tackle shop in Ross on Wye ,but don't hold me to that it was a number of years a go

As I live 200 yards from the stretch.

The entrance has changed downstream.

As you pass the Church head up hill. At the top you will see a gate on the right with Fishery sign.

Drive in and park on the right before the second gate. Once inside follow on the right to the heart attack Hill.

BUT you also have an option of access at the top end parking in a community car park.

You will see steps on the left of it going down then bear right thru gate, bearing right a style to hop over.

Some steep bank to walk along and into woods if you don't want to fish first few swims.

You then have 1/2 mile to explore if you want with some easy swims.

As I live 200 yards from the stretch.

The entrance has changed downstream.

As you pass the Church head up hill. At the top you will see a gate on the right with Fishery sign.

Drive in and park on the right before the second gate. Once inside follow on the right to the heart attack Hill.

BUT you also have an option of access at the top end parking in a community car park.

You will see steps on the left of it going down then bear right thru gate, bearing right a style to hop over.

Some steep bank to walk along and into woods if you don't want to fish first few swims.

You then have 1/2 mile to explore if you want with some easy swims.
Thanks Graham.....what are the boundaries of the beat Is it the motorway bridge one end and the pillars the other end.

Back