• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

wye camping

Neil Partridge

hi all,
well i hope your not getting withdrawal symptoms just yet, :( though i admit i am a little bit, evrytime i cross the severn (5 or 6 times a day) i think " i can't wait.........................etc",:rolleyes:
anyway what im after is a few pointers in the way of camp sites on or very near the river wye, that take tents (& not only caravans).
the water also needs to be day ticket.
ive had a little look around the net but as i dont know the area some info off here would be great.
cheers all.

I have never stayed on the Lucksall site, but I use to fish opposite, and upstream above the roadbridge. It was dayticket then,..I put a pic. on the 'river scenes' a few days ago,[ below Hereford ].
It's a cracking spot, with a good head of fish, but swims were limited. Also a nice little boozer just down the road.
I'm not sure,..but I think it was an overnighter for canoests, but I never found them to be a pain.
I always knew it as Holme Lacey, and you could buy a ticket at the local post office, or Jean used to sell you one[a ticket!!] on the bank.
By the way, she also had her own stretch downstream which you could book.
This was a few years ago, so some of the local lads may be able to update this info.
All the best
Dave

Last edited:
Neil, if you need any info regarding lucksall give me a shout. I stay here on a regular basis each year, and you can enjoy some good sport on the site itself.

joe-fletcher-albums-river-wye-fownhope-picture4340-river-wye.jpg

Neil just up from Lucksall caravan park on the other side of the road bridge .
You got the Fownhope water which is H&DAA . You can get day tickets from either Woodys tackle or Sues Angling . I hope that helps .

Nice pic. Joe...brings back happy memories,
It must have been taken close to the Lugg confluence,..managed 16 whiskers in a day just downstream on the opposite bank,.thanks to a bit of advice from Woody!
Have'nt seen the fella for 5 years,..hope he is doing ok,..made the mistake of meeting up with him for a few beers one night,..nearly missed the whole of the next mornings session!! Lovely fella.

If it's where I think it is that is the new course of the river, the old river bed is on the far bank looking at that picture and you have to be careful you don't get cut off by rising water flooding it leaving you stranded on an island.

If it's where I think it is that is the new course of the river, the old river bed is on the far bank looking at that picture and you have to be careful you don't get cut off by rising water flooding it leaving you stranded on an island.

Yes Adrian, big sweeping righthand bend in the distance,..I have noticed massive treetrunks left high and dry across the field.

Back