• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wychwood NOW Leeda Rapier rods

Richard Lomas

Have seen many good reports as to quality of Wychwood Rapier barbel rods.

Is the Leeda Rapier the same rod or has the name change led to a different blank/fittings?

Any insight appreciated.h

I have 4 Wychwood Rapier rods and can definately vouch for their quality. So much so that I have a friend who uses Greys Prodigy rods and has said he would swop mine for them any day of the week. These were discontinued 3 years ago for some reason but as Leeda own Wychwood they could well be the same rod.
What kind of price are the Leeda ones? I paid £100 each for my 1.75 rods and £125 each for my 1.5 multi tip ones.

Cheers Lewis:)

Just found this info on these rods - If they are half as good as this quote say's they are then they are worth a look at £95.00

"These rods are designed with one aim, to be the best barbel rod available. With input from some of the UK's best barbel anglers even the most discerning barbel angler could not ask for more with traditional looks and hi tech performance they cannot be bettered"

http://www.nailorsfishing.co.uk/Leeda-Rapier-Barbel-12-ft-1.75lb/6063.htm

Dave

"These rods are designed with one aim, to be the best barbel rod available."

Aren't they all?;):D

Here's what the blub says about the Greys X-Flite Barbel.
"The X-Flite Barbel is generally considered the ultimate rod for today’s big fish. It’s been a great success on barbel rivers in recent seasons and made thousands of converts."

I've got a couple, like them well enough but wouldn't claim them to be the ultimate rod. As for the thousands of converts, I've never seen anyone else on the banks using them. Plenty of Prodigys kicking about though.

Aren't they all?;):D

Here's what the blub says about the Greys X-Flite Barbel.
"The X-Flite Barbel is generally considered the ultimate rod for today’s big fish. It’s been a great success on barbel rivers in recent seasons and made thousands of converts."

I've never seen anyone else on the banks using them. Plenty of Prodigys kicking about though.

Probally because they've all snapped:D

Id agree about the wychwood rods being very good for the money, I have a couple of the "Rogue" barbel rods and think for £40 you cant get better.

Well i could do with a couple of Barbel Rods for high water/flood condition as i normally use a couple of Bruce & Walker Hexagraphs but they cant handle it when the river starts powering it through !
I love playing fish on the Hex's as its just great fun as I don’t like the BROOM Handle type of rods so what do you guy's recommend without spending a fortune ?

Dave

I have 4 Wychwood Rapier rods and can definately vouch for their quality. So much so that I have a friend who uses Greys Prodigy rods and has said he would swop mine for them any day of the week. These were discontinued 3 years ago for some reason but as Leeda own Wychwood they could well be the same rod.
What kind of price are the Leeda ones? I paid £100 each for my 1.75 rods and £125 each for my 1.5 multi tip ones.

Cheers Lewis:)

Lewis, tell your mate if he has a pair of 2lb test Greys Prodigy's, I'll buy them if he wants cash towards a pair of Leeda/Wychwood rods.

Some thieving git nicked one of mine and it just don't look right when tench fishing, matching pair of reels, matching bite alarms but different rods:eek::eek:.

PM me if he's interested.

Well i could do with a couple of Barbel Rods for high water/flood condition as i normally use a couple of Bruce & Walker Hexagraphs but they cant handle it when the river starts powering it through !
I love playing fish on the Hex's as its just great fun as I don’t like the BROOM Handle type of rods so what do you guy's recommend without spending a fortune ?

Dave

Which rivers do you fish David? I only ask as i'd quite happily use a 1.75lb tc rod during a flood on a small river like the Nidd yet such a tool would limit your options a great deal on a flooded spate river like the Ribble or a big un like the Trent!

Staying on the Wychwood theme the Maximiser Twin Tips are excellent for the money. Go for the 12' version on smaller rivers and the 13' for the big floods! If we have another 'dry' year - when your flood rod only gets used a few times this season you could do far worse than a Wychwood Rogue in 2lb test! I bought a pair of 2lb Prodigy's a few years ago - they looked great, had the 'right' kind of name printed on the blank but didnt live up to the hype for me - sold within a few months but i must admit they went very quickly for a good price so they obviously have a strong following. Just a tad more expensive and available in a few different tc's is the Free Spirit Barbel Tamer - if they ditched the quiver top and sold for around £90 - 100 they would be the pick of the bunch for me.

Second season with my Rapier, and can't fault it, good strong guides and all you need from a barbel rod without the hype.

Back