• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Wychwood Big River Barbel Rod

Tom Marshall

Evening everyone

Just wondering if anyone has a Wychwood 12ft 2.25lb Big River Barbel rod and what people’s thoughts are on them?

I have found the ‘Wychwood Big River Barbel Combo’ which includes the 12ft 2.25lb rod and a Wychwood bait runner for 30 odd quid, not bothered with the reel but the price seems good for the rod alone.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom that looks like a cracking deal to me. I am looking for a 2.2lb rod for flood work and leads up to 6oz. But i can't spend a fortune. I did look at the Korum twin tip, but i would like a look at the wychwood brb rod so i can compare it to the korum rod. I have heard a few good comments about Wychwood rods on this site.

Last edited:
I have 1 of these and use it on the Wye in flood, it handles large feeders upto 6 oz and is a nice tool to fish with, Iv had a few Wychwood rods including Carp rods and can't fault any of them, great rods for the money.

I bought one of those from Fishtek before Christmas - it is a 2lb tc. I've not used it yet but it feels to have a similar action to my 1.75 Wychwood Rogue. The reel seems smooth and well balanced but the proof will be in the using I suppose - but for £30 + pp it was a bargain.

So i take it the advert that Tom has seen is different to the one on Clive's post after reading Richard's post above?

Tom speaks of a 2.25tc but Richard mentions a 2tc

Trevor

Its the same advert, I rang them today and the woman said the rod has a 2.25tc strange i thought the Big River Barbel Rod had a 2lbtc?

A friend of mine has two of these rods and uses them for flood fishing and for zander and light carping. Very versatile and good value by the sounds of things.

Paul

I bought one of those from Fishtek before Christmas - it is a 2lb tc. I've not used it yet but it feels to have a similar action to my 1.75 Wychwood Rogue. The reel seems smooth and well balanced but the proof will be in the using I suppose - but for £30 + pp it was a bargain.

Is the reel front drag? Can't tell from the pic on e-bay.

the reel is a front drag, i had a couple of these a while back and they are very good, the clutches are first rate, i sold them to a guy in work and he was more than happy with them, as far as i know he's still using them after a few years now..

I too can vouch for the reels. For the price they are very good. had a pair now for 3-4 years and they've never let me down!

Trevor

Hi Steve, Offer still going Ebay, brought the Rod and Reel 2 hours ago click on link on page one. says 10 sold 6 available, and for 29/99 you cant go wrong.

Well it arrived today 17 hours after paying on Ebay, looks a lovely Rod and Reel, and its got 2lb test curve on the rod and on the tag attached, feels good will try the rod and reel tomorrow.

Back